• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Think Tank Airport Security

Nill Toulme

... came today and all I can say is... damn! What an amazing piece of gear. Reminds me of the first time I picked up a 1D.

Now I'm really looking forward to my next trip to Montana.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Scott B. Hughes

I thought that you were in the "decision" stage?!

Ours arrived late last week, we immediately filled it up with everything that filled a LightWare 1420, plus more.

No super long teles, but we did manage to fit ten lenses, two 580s, a load of cam-batteries, multiple P-wizards, several dozen AA batts, two Quantum Turbo batts, much etc.

The depth of the roller case was suprising. A 70-200/2.8 can stand upright.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott B. Hughes

No Asher, I don't.

I selected "Quick Reply" and as you see it is how I saw it. I went to EDIT and I saw no control over "strike through".

Any clue as to why it appears that way?

Nill Toulme

Scott, I guess I decided. ;-) And of course, the day after it shipped, TT announced the new, slightly smaller (and slightly less expensive) Airport International, and I went into paroxysms of angst over whether I should have got that one instead, as I often find myself on regional jets...

BTW, I also got the Bazooka tripod holder. It's very cool too, but it's a very tight fit on the top of my Gitzo 1325/RRS BH-55. It'll work though.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Brian Lowe

Hi Nill,

The Think Tank Airport Security is a great bag, I took mine with me on my last trip with a 600mm L and all my other photo gear. Its amazing how much you can pack into that bag.

-Brian-

Brian Lowe

All airlines are different but 50 pounds is usually the max weight allowed in the US (that is if they even put your carry-on baggage on the scale to begin with). It's best to check in advance with the airline but I have never had a problem with US airlines.

-Brian-

Marian Howell

please give us a post-trip report on how both the roller bag and the tripod bag worked out for you Nill. i'm curious, and just a few weeks ago got the backpack version (airport addicted) and the bazooka bag for the 1325 for a trip later in the spring. i was planning on putting the bh55 in the backpack (since i'll have room on my first trip with the gear) but it would be good to know that the bazooka worked for you, in case i have to carry more gear in future trips. an empty pack is a void just waiting to be filled LOL

Nill Toulme

Have you used it yet Marian? I don't want to even think about schlepping that much weight through an airport on my back again. I took my 400 f/2.8 and assorted other stuff to Wyoming once in my Lowepro Naturetrekker (or Phototrekker, never can remember which — it's the bigger one), and changing planes in SLC I swore never again. I had pretty much resigned myself to just using my 100-400 out west until the realization dawned that a good roller bag was what I needed.

I do think the Bazooka is going to be fine. It's real tight at the top, just as much from the "hips" of the 1325 as from the head, but it works OK. I had read a while back that TT is planning a larger version for just that reason, but they'll probably make it too much bigger to hold a 1548 too, so I think this will do fine.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
European airlines have different standards and can fastidiously measure and weigh and if they think it bulges or is too much you are in big trouble.

I have had this with a Lowepro backpack. I ended up having to carry my 1DII with a 70-200 f4 on my neck and put flash in my jacket pockets!

So one can't just stuff those expandable front pockets!

Asher

Last edited:

Cem_Usakligil

European airlines have different standards and can fastidiously measure and weigh and if they think it bulges or is too much you are in big trouble.

I have had this with a Lowepro backpack. I ended up having to carry my 1DII with a 70-200 f4 on my neck and put flash in my jacket pockets!

So one can't just stuff those expandable front pockets!

Asher
As Asher rightfully noted, many European airlines nowadays have a carry on luggage limit of 5 kg, some may go up to 10 kg at the most. 50 pounds (some 22.6 kg) is a complete impossibility on this side of the pond :).

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

Has anyone found that airlines object to the size of a carried camera?

My mother at 80 used to travel with her coat stuffed so she looked like an enormous hippo! They let her travel!

The airlines in the USA allow one laptop bag, one travel case as we have been discussing as well, if you are a photographer, an extra bag, the size of which I'm not sure about.

However, if you travel to Europe like that, you may be in deep trouble!

AFAIK, say goodbye to the photographer's bag! Also you may have to empty your Think Tank Airport Security roller.

So you must not only check what airline you are traveling on, but also alternate airlines should the flight get altered!

In general, one must reassess what one MUST have rather than could have. Also look to renting when you arrive.

Travel anyway can be miserable, schlepping around and keeping an eye on your gear.

In the USA they are generous.

Asher

Will_Perlis

"an empty pack is a void just waiting to be filled"

Marian,

If you actually fill the Airport Addicted just hope you don't have to do a complete tour of an LAX terminal. I thought I was having some sort of coronary nastiness after one such trek. I'm thinking the new smaller roller bag would do nicely, and I can use the AA as a garage or guest house.

Marian Howell

LOL i understand totally Will and Nill!! i'm going on the premise that i won't stuff it to the gills, and for this particular trip i don't need anything larger than 300mm. i do a fair amount of hiking with an overstuffed backpack, so the potential miseries of that are very clear to me :) i fly infrequently, and i did manage to make this a direct flight to+fro.
the new trimmer line of ThinkTanks looks enticing though i admit. i wish they were somewhere one could see and touch them in person instead of relying on the product pdfs and the reviews of others...

Will_Perlis

<i>i wish they were somewhere one could see and touch them in person</i>

I understand that feeling but there are occasions when I'd be willing to trade you LA's traffic and Samy's for some peace, quiet, and no camera stores.

Can you order what you think is good from some place that allows returns or arrange a trip to visit a shooter who has one?

In any event, the TT stuff is really top-grade gear. It's not perfect (I can find something to quibble about no matter what we're talking about) but it's close.

Marian Howell

I understand that feeling but there are occasions when I'd be willing to trade you LA's traffic and Samy's for some peace, quiet, and no camera stores.

Can you order what you think is good from some place that allows returns or arrange a trip to visit a shooter who has one?

In any event, the TT stuff is really top-grade gear. It's not perfect (I can find something to quibble about no matter what we're talking about) but it's close.

that's what i've done, and i got it last week. over the next few months i'm going to pack it and practice carrying it. as you say, TT is top grade so if i really think it's too big or prefer to succomb to the more civilized roller version or decide not to use it again after this trip, i'm sure i can move it on...
it was very exciting last summer when a large supermarket chain opened a store within 10 miles of our house LOL

Asher Kelman

There's a limitation to keep out smarter guys from getting us into trouble with our site security!

:)

Asher

Scott B. Hughes

i wish they were somewhere one could see and touch them in person instead of relying on the product pdfs and the reviews of others...

We're about as remote of a location as possible..... we bought sight unseen, following a twenty minute discussion with Doug at ThinkTank. How far are you from Levines?

Anyway, we're loving the Airport Security for location/event work. Asher, this roller is for you!

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Local is good....

LOL, this reminds me of this old thread I've once started. FWIW.....

Cheers,

Cem

Going back to read that thread, my local camera store is Canoga. So if you are buying from them, you are supporting my local small store. I do try to buy as much as I can there, not because they are local - and sometimes a bit higher than B&H - but because I get really good service there too. But they don't have everything and I do end up at Samy's or Calumet and (on line at B&H sometimes) when I want to touch and feel things that you can't get there. We're just lucky to have choices

Scott B. Hughes

i'm about 70 miles from Levine's :) but they aren't listed on the TT website as dealers. from the site, the nearest dealer would be east hartford ct, about 100 miles away.

Oh, well you're in the neighborhood. Go for a drive and have lunch afterwards. :)

Sorta on topic, we received the 3530LSV today and feel that our revised kit is going to work out well for event usage.

TT's Airport Security packed with Canon, TT's modular belt system and a couple of Gitzo's CF tri and mono pods makes it work.

Thank you for the input everyone. I'm holding off on the BH-55 for now as the B1 places the eyepiece perfectly when the camera body is in the portrait orientation.

Last edited: