• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Tried a different method for self portrait - and it works

Robert Watcher

Tried a different method for self portrait - and it works

I regularly set my camera on a tripod, table, or whatever is handy —- to take portraits of Anne and I, or of groups that include the two of us. I just set the camera on the 12 second timer and head into my predetermined spot in the shot - then head back and fire the trigger and repeat the process 2 or 3 times to make sure everyone looks good in one of them. I always find the results are far superior to having someone nearby (or a server at a restaurant) take the picture for me. And I have been happy with that way of doing it.

Until last night when I set up outside our bnb in Delft, Holland to get a nice portrait of Anne and I enjoying a cool local beer - while enjoying people and bicycles passing by us. For some reason the idea popped into my head to use my cameras Timelapse feature instead of the self timer function, and just select the frame that was best. Don’t know why I haven’t thought of this before. No running back and forth to get into the shot.

I set the Time lapse setting to record 20 frames with a five second delay between each one —— and set the first frame to trigger after five seconds of pressing the shutter. I then slowly walked across the little street, sat beside Anne and did a few little adjustments for variety.

Here are the 20 frames captured with the Time Lapse, and the final one we picked to share with the family back in Canada

IMG_2817.jpeg

IMG_2801.jpeg