• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Warning: and are NSFW. Threads may start of as text only but then pictures could be added as part of a discussion or to make some point. This is not for family viewing without a parent's consent and supervision. If you are under age 18, please do not use this section
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

UNICEF Photo of the Year

Michael Fontana

pro member
Look here

I' ve problems to understand the jury's selection.
It's me, only?

On one side, this is not a lot more than the western eye on a other culture; the image itself doesn't explains what is supposed to be its content.

Then, the author just runs all the world's misfortunes.

Michael Fontana

pro member
°International experts nominated 142 photographers from 31 countries, who submitted a total of 1,230 pictures for the competition, which invited entries from throughout the world. This year, the jury, under the chairmanship of Klaus Honnef, Professor of Photography, chose the winners of the first, second and third prize and made eight other honorable mentions. Presenting this award for the eighth time, UNICEF Germany is honoring photographs of high artistic and photojournalistic quality that capture the living conditions of children. The competition is supported by the magazine GEO Germany and Citibank Germany. °

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
A closer cloe-up, would have certainly explain more.
You're right, If a caption is needed, the picture is not satisfactory… at least for me!

But the aim with this photo (I haven'tdownloaded the others…) is fair imho…

Ray West

Hi Michael,

I agree with you.

Why not the beggars outside the vatican, the young drug addicts in most western cities, the promiscuity, the drunkenness of youngsters in the so called civilised world. Unicef, and similar organisations do not have the answers, they do not even understand the questions. I'm afraid the results are just typical of such 'competitions', part of which is to get publicity, of course.

Best wishes,

Ray

Michael Fontana

pro member
A closer cloe-up, would have certainly explain more.
You're right, If a caption is needed, the picture is not satisfactory… at least for me!

But the aim with this photo (I haven'tdownloaded the others…) is fair imho…

I tend to disagree, Nicolas, with the aim, too.

It's difficult to explain it in english:

What's the aim of that photo?
If the aim would be to stop children getting married - it will fail.
Think about the people shown on these photos; and their situation, now. After that these shots made first price!

The more I think about it, the more I dislike the photographer for exploiting these situations, beeing aware of the difficult time, this is land has now, and quite since a long period of time.

I don't mind this to be a theme for a reportage; but here, I got he feeling, that it's just focussed on that point - and only !!

The photographer might nip on a glass of champaigne, beeing first. IMO it's just said.

And yes, Ray, I have to agree:
These organisations don't even understand he questions.

nicolas claris

Then again, what's not to understand then.... grins!
To get people alerted by the fact that young women (girls) are being exploited without any choice by their husband (that they have been forced to get married with).
Let's call a cat a cat. This is a kind of slavery, I hate traditions when they keep the head under the water.

I prefer that kind of 'fight' than the one of all religions to get hegemony… and by the way trying to get me into their own church/temple etc.

I'm with all combats for self determination, wether it is by folks (people) or individuals…

BTW George, glad to see you around again, it seems you dissappeared in the Irish ocean!

This is a kind of slavery, I hate traditions when they keep the head under the water

Always was wondering why you were up in those helicopters photographing those magnificent boats....

Conceivably the image may need a caption, which for some detracts from its quality, but with it a harsh reality is highlighted (or a series of harsh realities), at least viewed from a contemporary western perspective. I couldn't agree more with Nicolas on this one.

Child slavery, child warriors, whole Nations oppressed, rape, torture, and so on, the list is truly long and challenging to anyone wanting to uphold the flag of humanity in the midst such realities in the year 2007.

Fear is the main concept of oppression that rules entire nations, again.

Then again, I can only put up a red Flag and warn people to think just because something is labeled unicef it follows a set of ethical rules that really are there to help. Unicef is massivly entangeled in political interests.

In 1995, the Catholic Women's League of the Philippines won a court order halting a UNICEF anti-tetanus program because the vaccine had been laced with B-hCG, a hormone that sterilizes and causes miscarriages in its recipients. The Supreme Court of the Philippines found the surreptitious sterilization program had already vaccinated three million women, aged 12 to 45. B-hCG-laced vaccine was also found in at least four other developing countries.

Carol Bellamy, a Clinton appointee and former New York politician, Wall Street lawyer and banker, and director of the Peace Corps, will be replaced by Ann Veneman, secretary of Agriculture during Mr. Bush's first term. (Washington, as the single-largest donor to UNICEF, enjoys the right to nominate an American to lead the agency.)

Remarkable!

I have my doubts on organisations that have human rights written on their flag but act in matters of population control!

I have my doubts on such in deed!

Having said that, I am all for protecting human rights, and would like to point your attention to this site, initiated by "the elders".

THE ELDERS:

http://www.theelders.org/welcome/

EVERY HUMAN HAS RIGHTS:

http://www.everyhumanhasrights.org/

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Child slavery, child warriors, whole Nations oppressed, rape, torture, and so on, the list is truly long and challenging to anyone wanting to uphold the flag of humanity in the midst such realities in the year 2007.

Even before rape and torture, just the status of women alone or rather lack of status, should be seen as a marker of backwardness. Darfur today is the classical example of selective tears since there is no oil advantage to rescuing black Christians or pagans from Arab tribesmen sent by the Sudan Govenment. If the blacks had oil, we'd be morally outraged and act. For now we are morally outraged but wait for permission from the Sudanese so we can protect defenseless villages.

We still allow planes to bring European and Japanese men to the Philippines for sex and especially with young girls and boys. This activity degrades society and is a disgrace. Tour companies and airplane owners and the entire flight crew should be charged with trafficing.

Asher

nicolas claris

Even before rape and torture, just the status of women alone or rather lack of status, should be seen as a marker of backwardness. Darfur today is the classical example of selective tears since there is no oil advantage to rescuing black Christians or pagans from Arab tribesmen sent by the Sudan Govenment. If the blacks had oil, we'd be morally outraged and act. For now we are morally outraged but wait for permission from the Sudanese so we can protect defenseless villages.
Correct!
We still allow planes to bring European and Japanese men to the Philippines for sex and especially with young girls and boys.
Who is "we?" Allow me to think that Australians, Americans aren't so "pure" and do this kind of travel too…
This activity degrades society and is a disgrace. Tour companies and airplane owners and the entire flight crew should be charged with trafficing.
Crews have no way to check the purpose of the plane passengers!

Asher Kelman

Correct!
Who is "we?" Allow me to think that Australians, Americans aren't so "pure" and do this kind of travel too…

Crews have no way to check the purpose of the plane passengers!

Of course Nicolas,

The sex tours from the USA and Australia too are in the same revolting group! We could add more!

The airlines know this is a sex trip as these flight are often booked by particular agencies. To the extent that this is known by the airlines, they should be held responsable.

Otherwise your point is well taken. The Thai govenment is also responsible since this industry by being part of the lucritive tourist trade, encourages girls and boys to be sent from the countryside to earn a lot of money easily" from rich tourists.

Back to the prize: IMHO, a photo competition should be run according to some set of standards to be chosen as the best of the year. To be the best, the standard would be the other photographs submitted.

3396824-Custom05.JPG

© 2007 Stephanie Sinclair

The subject matter is both significant and rivetting. However, the artistry isn't. So it's hard to believe this winning image surpassed the others. If it did, then with all the digital cameras we have, the level of artistic ability has dropped.

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Climbing on my Soapbox Now

I am past president of the local chapter a National business woman's group.

In 1971 I went to work in the field of Banking. In California, a very progressive state/place in the universe. In all of California, there were two women in the ranks of Branch Manager. Today they are about equal. I was promoted to a VP position in 1986 - a huge, huge accomplishment, especially considering I had no college degree! Finally the ranks are about equal. This is 2007 so there has been some progress.

In the 1948, my husband's mother opened a women's upscale fashion boutique. She was not allowed to own the business, borrow money or be the president of the corporation - her husband had to own it! My grandmother was not allowed to own any part of the family business either - in the 1940's-50's!

Women still in the USA earn 60 cents to a man's $1.00. in the USA - Still!

Women owned businesses are the fastest growing seqment of the business world yet less than 3% earn more than $1 Million a year.

Women throughout history have always been at the whim of men especially in the Thrid World countries. There are still sects of religious groups where a husband can have multiple wives. In the Middle Eastern/Islamic Cultures, wives are secondary - until few women go to get any kind of education. I just last month toured in Morocco and was not surprised in Taurodant to see that none of the shopkeepers were women. I only saw them cooking and tending to children. I think of the poor women in the African nation where the females are mutilated so as not to gain any pleasure from sex. Women in some countries are still hung for adultry or sex outside of marriage.

As I say all of this, I am grateful that I am free to do and think and own and spend or manage money and property as equally today as any male. I am glad I am educated and intelligent to think for myself. I only wish that for other women of this world. My prayer is that they accomplish this one day.

Asher Kelman

Kathy,

Yes it's amazing to see how far women have come! so in light of that, is the Unicef Choice your choice too?

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
No Way

I think that while I have not looked at the other images, this one should NOT have been their image of the year! The message it conveys is beyond what I and many others have worked so hard for = for women to be respected beyond their sexuality and to have some equality - and for the opportunity to use their natural talents and intellect! (PS - I am not one of those NOW feminists either...just passionate about life and injustice)

.... and there are so many who fight for this, a few recognized....

Today coincides with the 55th anniversary of the adoption of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights; a declaration which begins with the recognition of the inherent dignity and the equal and inalienable rights of all members of the human family, as the guarantor of freedom, justice and peace. And it promises a world in which human beings shall enjoy freedom of expression and opinion, and be safeguarded and protected against fear and poverty.

.....If the 21st century wishes to free itself from the cycle of violence, acts of terror and war, and avoid repetition of the experience of the 20th century - that most disaster-ridden century of humankind, there is no other way except by understanding and putting into practice every human right for all mankind, irrespective of race, gender, faith, nationality or social status.

- Shirin Ebadi, Nobel Peace Prize 2003 -

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

Hi George,

This is essentially the social and political values that Nicolas Claris, I and others have sought to be as the premises for which we do anything here. Beyond esthetics and commerce, our photography has the potential to inform, disclose and argue so that we can protect, mitigate and steer what we do. The Unicef picture, by itself, is too narrow and an easy snap of the obvious. Still it has value but even this has not been widely shown so at present it is merely a self-conceit for Unicef and a small cricle of fascinated elites, such as us!

I would like to thank all of you for the values that you bring to OPF.

Asher

Asher Kelman

.....If the 21st century wishes to free itself from the cycle of violence, acts of terror and war, and avoid repetition of the experience of the 20th century - that most disaster-ridden century of humankind, there is no other way except by understanding and putting into practice every human right for all mankind, irrespective of race, gender, faith, nationality or social status.

Hi George,

I'd add to that we must modify our cultures to do this and also protect the biosphere we treasure. This requires difficult education as it conflicts with religious imperatives for population growth and also commercial interests for market expansion.

These are essentially the twin social and political values that Nicolas Claris, I and others have sought to set down as the premises for values we might to foster,even if only from time to time, in our photography.

So, beyond esthetics and commerce and fun, our photography has the potential to occasioanaly inform, disclose and argue so that we can protect, mitigate and steer what we do. The Unicef picture, by itself, is too narrow and an easy snap of the obvious. Still it has value but even this has not been widely shown so at present it is merely a self-conceit for Unicef and a small cricle of "fascinated elites", such as us!

I would like to thank all of you for the values that you bring to OPF. :)

Asher

Hi Asher,

on a personal note with a Glas of Bourgogne, I do not have a lot of hope that we will see significant modifications in the right direction. As we speak I read an article on FRONTEX which is a european agency working on intelligence to secure borders.

It is estimated that last year alone 6.000 people died by attempting to cross the border into europe. The westafrican coast appears to turn into a mass grave.

Borders? I always wondered about that medival arrangement. The only border I can think of is the only border that counts and we all have in common, it is the one that protects us from outerspace, nothing less. - Btw. Yesterday I saw Michael Moore's "Sicko", you will be particulary interested in that edition Asher, as it deals with the Health System and it's pitfalls in the USA. It is one of those films worth your time in deed! -

So what about borders? An Inhaler that cost something like 120 Dollars goes for 5 cents over the counter in Cuba. Insurance companies hire Doctors whose sole job is to write letters of denial, people were refused treatment and died as a result.

Last week a couple of "old friends" passed over, Floyd "red crow" Westerman and soon after that Oscar Peterson. Sad, but then again, I guess they left just about at the right time.

Reflecting on the past few years and pondering what is to come, my heart is heavy and I do not see a lot of positive change, in opposite, my wild guess is that it will become worse, much worse in deed. Having said that, I am no Doomsayer, but I can not avoid the facts at hand.

Somehow, we still are this wild bunch that scavanges and plunders through the world, just these days we have more gadgets at hand that allow us to plunder and murder more efficiently.

In germany from January on all data traffic is recorded and stored, well they say for 6 month, but I doubt that. The governments plan to remotely install a trojan horse onto everybodys computer has raised serious issues, it was meant to be a trojan that can spy out all your data. I can not avoind to think, Hitler would have been proud of them. Somehow the flippin germans were always very efficient when it comes to BS like that. <grmbl>

There are chances that we will face a global economic crisis on a level like the great depression of the 30s, the indicators are surprisingly equal in deed. A friend of mine from canada, a retired school teacher just nailed it down to the point in my opinion.

It wasn't the stock market crash that caused the Great Depression. The antecedents were rooted in the Great War and the Roaring Twenties - make people want what they couldn't afford through incessant advertising; let the rich get richer while the working poor find it increasingly difficult to make ends meet; lower the tax rates on the upper crust under the guise of fallacious tax cuts for all; widen the gap between the miniscule "HAVES" and the ever ballooning "HAVE NOTS"; forget to steadily pay down the war debts; make tons of money on paper by artificially bloating stocks values; allow corrupt get rich schemes for the wealthy power brokers without government oversight, then say whoops when they get caught; mess up mortgages and loans, then foreclose on record numbers of families; keep telling the country that the economy is strong, everything will be OK; avoid government intervention programs to save those who are going to lose everything they've worked for - (Hoover's let them pull themselves up by the boot straps); allow an ineffective idiot president in power long enough to screw things up; ... etc. etc. etc.

You know, sometimes I envy people who have a strong faith, I guess it makes things easier from a psychological point of view.

Somehow, history has a way to repeat itself.

What will be the word of the year 2008? ....Refugee?

Don't know how stuff like that affects you folks, but thinking too much about all that has the effect of a deep rooted tiredness on me. This world is such an amazing place, full of miracles and amazing beauty, the power of creation to be seen around very corner, and what do we do with it?

Asher Kelman

Georg,

I would love to see a world without borders. Europe is struggling to do it and it is an amzaing feat to accomplish. However, there is no huge drive to convert Catholics to Buddhism or make everyone Lutheran so all we have to deal with is education and job opportunity.

For other countries with aspirations of 9-10 children per fertile female over the age of 12, how does this fit in? Also with the aspirations to sweep away all other cultures that creates a problem.

When Europe has learned how to do culture fusion/mix balance peacefully, then it can be extended. However it is a challenging socio economic task even when there are no existential threats to anyone culture.

Asher

Europe?

Well, what about those people who try to come to europe in totally overcrowded boats or selfmade constructions, Europe's answer to refugees is nothing but a military refugee defense action.

These people are "messengers of inequality". The european agricultural subsidies destroyed markets in Africa, this is a wellknown fact, and the people who try to go to Europe are often those who were directly affected.

The markets in Senegal trade tomatos from spain and italy for dumping prices, which were mostly produced by illegal immigrants who were payed next to nothing btw., they are already payed for by european subsidies, they can be dumped there for any low price. Hence we export it to Africa and dump it there instead of destroying the production surplus in europe as happened before. As a result the local agricultural business can not compete with such dumping prizes and goes belly up.

The same counts for the fishing industry and many others.

The concept that our prosperity is build on the ruthless exploitation of poverty stricken countries has not changed dramatically, not at all, and therefor those people in boats are "Messengers of Inequality and Injustice."

We kill their markets and livelyhoods to subsidise our prosperity, and when they have nothing left to live from and knock on our door to make a living we shoot.

We do not talk about a few hundred tragedies, we talk about ten thousands of people that are affected, and the numbers are increasing since FRONTEX started its business to secure european borders. Of course, the medias are quiet about these facts, very quiet.

The european experiment is fundamentally flawed because it allows such principles of exploitation to happen, and more, much more!

These days the biggest enemy of governments are the citizens themselves. The burocrats fear them and they do everything in their power to expand their control. Under the cover of fight against terror, citizen rights are dismantled and totalitarian control is developed. This tendency has grown stronger throughout europe and is equally reflected in the european Parliament.

We will "deal" with much larger numbers of refugees in the future, and how we deal with them we can see already in the present.

No my friend, I am afraid Europe has not the answer at the moment to deliver a concept that is build on human rights and equality, it is just another trade arrangement, and not much more.

Asher Kelman

George,

The African Issue is not well reported here but I know of it since I read widely.

The European crawl towards one ystem is going to be difficult since there are major differences in culture, wages and capabilities. Already, Polish graduates come to London to work as waitors or hotel clerks because that way they can start a new life with greater earning potential for their own families. So this both drains talent from Poland but relives pressure on the govenment to generate an vibrant economy at home. But the U.K. benefits from these bright young minds.

At the same time poor people with just laboring skills drift in search of the next job.

Even excluding the African migrant issue, Europe is a darn site better than it was 100 years ago. We are at least on a path to a European union instead of more wars every 30 years or so!

I do not know whether or not you analysis of the unfortunate migrants from Africa is fully valid as I'm not informed enough. However, your make serious points and I'll try to find out more.

I know they continue to come. Partly I believe because there is and has been for a long time over production of children since clean water removed this necessity for having enough kids to counter high infant mortality and allow villages to sustain themselves. With clean water, the population od too much for local resources and religion can make this worse when birth control is forbidden. Add to that wars and HIV, there is already enough suffering even before any markets are disrupted by the dumping you describe.

It's the latter part I miss facts on, although I do not dispute your impressions.

It would seem that one has to improve African economies and that, as I know in the case of Nigeriam Zimbabwe and South Africa is not wasy. My knowledge of the MAHGREB is not up to par, I'm afraid to deal with mediteranean Muslim countries or Somalia and Ethiopia.

Yes, things are complicated. Mitigating child production is, I believe one of the most important factors in the equation for facing the suffering. Allowing into Europe 100,0000 Africans a year is no solution as families of 9 or ten would have to be supported. It would be logical to build up the local economies and schools so people stayed!

Asher
Europe?

Well, what about those people who try to come to europe in totally overcrowded boats or selfmade constructions, Europe's answer to refugees is nothing but a military refugee defense action.

These people are "messengers of inequality". The european agricultural subsidies destroyed markets in Africa, this is a wellknown fact, and the people who try to go to Europe are often those who were directly affected.

The markets in Senegal trade tomatos from spain and italy for dumping prices, which were mostly produced by illegal immigrants who were payed next to nothing btw., they are already payed for by european subsidies, they can be dumped there for any low price. Hence we export it to Africa and dump it there instead of destroying the production surplus in europe as happened before. As a result the local agricultural business can not compete with such dumping prizes and goes belly up.

The same counts for the fishing industry and many others.

The concept that our prosperity is build on the ruthless exploitation of poverty stricken countries has not changed dramatically, not at all, and therefor those people in boats are "Messengers of Inequality and Injustice."

We kill their markets and livelyhoods to subsidise our prosperity, and when they have nothing left to live from and knock on our door to make a living we shoot.

We do not talk about a few hundred tragedies, we talk about ten thousands of people that are affected, and the numbers are increasing since FRONTEX started its business to secure european borders. Of course, the medias are quiet about these facts, very quiet.

The european experiment is fundamentally flawed because it allows such principles of exploitation to happen, and more, much more!

These days the biggest enemy of governments are the citizens themselves. The burocrats fear them and they do everything in their power to expand their control. Under the cover of fight against terror, citizen rights are dismantled and totalitarian control is developed. This tendency has grown stronger throughout europe and is equally reflected in the european Parliament.

We will "deal" with much larger numbers of refugees in the future, and how we deal with them we can see already in the present.

No my friend, I am afraid Europe has not the answer at the moment to deliver a concept that is build on human rights and equality, it is just another trade arrangement, and not much more.

George,

The African Issue is not well reported here but I know of it since I read widely.

Of course , my sources are second hand Asher, I use to read le monde diplomatique on african issues, and so far their informations had been exquisite, historically le monde diplomatique was set up to provide intelligence on African issues to diplomats. Having said that, it is second hand of course, I am in Ireland, not in Senegal.

....Feck!....It is just on the news... Benazir Bhutto has been assassinated.... Sigh... She brought hope to many in Pakistan, and she new that she risks her life going back... apparantly the assassinator blew himself up after he shot....

...another great woman of this century... lost to insane political fundamentalists... Benazir Bhutto ... RIP (These important comments moved to new thread here by me, Asher.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

Of course , my sources are second hand Asher, I use to read le monde diplomatique on african issues, and so far their informations had been exquisite, historically le monde diplomatique was set up to provide intelligence on African issues to diplomats. Having said that, it is second hand of course, I am in Ireland, not in Senegal.

It is a terrible reflection on our society of our consumption of "news"! We get filled with escapades of the British "Royals" and the likes of Paris Hilton and or Britney Spears. Meanwhile newspapers omit the realities of one giant continent of Africa except when there's kidnapping of oil executives in Nigeria or some terrorists blow up embassies.

We do not want to face realities that would force us to break out of what I call The "Grand Delusionorium" in which I contend our Western Societies inhabit. It's very easy to occaisionally produce a prizewinning photograph as the one which started this thread. Then we can think we have some grasp of the problem! Another such token of concern is the phenomenon of "Live Aid" music concerts or Madonna's adoption of a child or too. All good, but providing no meaningful movement to changing things or educating our value systems.

Asher

It is a terrible reflection on our society of our consumption of "news"! We get filled with escapades of the British "Royals" and the likes of Paris Hilton and or Britney Spears. Meanwhile newspapers omit the realities of one giant continent of Africa except when there's kidnapping of oil executives in Nigeria or some terrorists blow up embassies.

We do not want to face realities that would force us to break out of what I call The "Grand Delusionorium" in which I contend our Western Societies inhabit. It's very easy to occaisionally produce a prizewinning photograph as the one which started this thread. Then we can think we have some grasp of the problem! Another such token of concern is the phenomenon of "Live Aid" music concerts or Madonna's adoption of a child or too. All good, but providing no meaningful movement to changing things or educating our value systems.

Sometimes, on rare occaisons I might add, we are in total agreement, such as in this case. <smile>

All good, but providing no meaningful movement to changing things or educating our value systems.

I would be tempted to re phrase that.

Changing things to re educate our value systems, would be my preference. - For the very reason that this knowledge has been around before. We could learn a lot from our native american brothers and sisters in deed. -