• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Yellow Bellied Marmot

James Lemon

The yellow-bellied marmot (Marmota flaviventris), also known as the rock chuck, is a large, stout-bodied ground squirrel in the marmot genus.[2] It is one of fourteen species of marmots, and is native to mountainous and semi-arid regions of southwestern Canada and western United States, including the Rocky Mountains, Sierra Nevada, and the Great Basin, often (but not exclusively) living above 2,000 metres (6,500 feet)[citation needed]. The fur is mainly brown, with a dark bushy tail, yellow chest and white patch between the eyes, and they weigh up to approximately 5 kilograms (11 pounds). They live in burrows in colonies of up to twenty individuals with a single dominant male. They are diurnal and feed on plant material, insects, and bird eggs. They hibernate for approximately eight months starting in September and lasting through the winter.
4B8CF797-146D-40C5-A31B-82BBA3C7A682_1_201_a.jpeg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Beautiful furry creature. Hibernation for 8 months is a pretty amazing evolutionary adaption for survival!

If it’s hard to find food, just hide out with your buddies until there’s plenty!

I wonder what regulates the length of that hibernation as it seem bordering on excessive! I’d there an allowance for migrating North or South when seasons might be altered?

Asher

James Lemon

Beautiful furry creature. Hibernation for 8 months is a pretty amazing evolutionary adaption for survival!

If it’s hard to find food, just hide out with your buddies until there’s plenty!

I wonder what regulates the length of that hibernation as it seem bordering on excessive! I’d there an allowance for migrating North or South when seasons might be altered?

Asher
Good question Asher ? When hibernating yellow-bellied marmots emerge in spring, they are the same age, biologically speaking, as when they first curled up in their dens eight months ago. The new study, published last month in Nature Ecology and Evolution, could help scientists find the key to slowing the aging process in humans.