• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Boot 2011 - Patterns

Hi folks,

Yesterday I took a trip up to the Boot 2011 trade show / fair in Düsseldorf/Germany. The main reason was to meet up with Nicolas Claris who has a booth there, and the second reason was to try and shoot some semi-abstract images.

Here are a few of the photographic results, all shot with my 1Ds3 with the 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS, from tripod, as bracketed exposures for later tonemapping of the often huge contrast ambient light conditions.

Patterns 1
Boot2011_416_S.jpg

Patterns 2
Boot2011_388_S.jpg

Patterns 3
Boot2011_402_S.jpg

Cheers,
Bart

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Wow Bart
That makes another reason for me to be glad to have had your visit!
Beatifull catches !
Though seen only (for now) on my Iphone;-)

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Bart,

Very nice captures (especially #2 and #3 and the one from last year). The pp is impeccable, as always. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Wow Bart
That makes another reason for me to be glad to have had your visit!
Beatifull catches !
Though seen only (for now) on my Iphone;-)

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for your hospitality and kind words. I'm still impressed by the 6 (?) metres wide backlit display from a single camera frame you had up as the backdrop of your stand. Impressive image, and not just the size. It was also nice to see the huge book of your 3 year project in real life. Very high quality indeed.

Cheers,
Bart

Hi Bart,

Very nice captures (especially #2 and #3 and the one from last year). The pp is impeccable, as always. Thanks for sharing.

Hi Cem,

Thanks for your comments.

Regarding the postprocessing, I'm glad that Capture One 6, my favorite Raw converter, has unlocked the LCC correction feature for non-Phase One cameras. Because of the tonemapping I applied, all minor defects such as shadows of dust on the sensor can become more visible.

While it's possible to use the spot correction tool to address those issues, and copy their settings to the other bracketed images of each frame, it would be too easy to miss a spot or two especially because they are less visible before tonemapping. Also, in areas of image detail, the spots can be easily missed, and they will show up in another image with less detail in that location.

When I got home and started postprocessing the next day, I realised that the dust spots would take too much time to correct. Enters the LCC feature. I took a single LCC frame, with the same aperture and approximate shooting distance, one day after the event. That single LCC frame was attached to the processing recipe of all images taken, and the dust spots (and color cast, and vignetting) vanished automagically. Now postprocessing could be concentrated on the tonality, without distractions.

BTW, all images were composed in the viewfinder, 1 & 3 are uncropped and no. 2 was only corrected for perspective (due to the shooting angle) and as a result slightly cropped at the corners. The image from last year was only cropped at the sides to enhance the sensation from the vertical structures.

Cheers,
Bart

Last edited:

Cem_Usakligil

...Regarding the postprocessing, I'm glad that Capture One 6, my favorite Raw converter, has unlocked the LCC correction feature for non-Phase One cameras. Because of the tonemapping I applied, all minor defects such as shadows of dust on the sensor can become more visible.

While it's possible to use the spot correction tool to address those issues, and copy their settings to the other bracketed images of each frame, it would be too easy to miss a spot or two especially because they are less visible before tonemapping. Also, in areas of image detail, the spots can be easily missed, and they will show up in another image with less detail in that location.

When I got home and started postprocessing the next day, I realised that the dust spots woud take too much time to correct. Enters the LCC feature. I took a single LLC frame, with the same aperture and approximate shooting distance, one day after the event. That single LCC frame was attached to the processing recipe of all images taken, and the dust spots (and color cast, and vignetting) vanished automagically. Now postprocessing could be concentrated on the tonality, without distractions.

BTW, all images were composed in the viewfinder, 1 & 3 are uncropped and no. 2 was only corrected for perspective (due to the shooting angle) and as a result slightly cropped at the corners. The image from last year was only cropped at the sides to enhance the sensation from the vertical structures.
Very interesting! One should also read this thread by Bart about the functionality of LCC in C1P.

Cheers,

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Bart
talking technique with you is always a pleasure and I always learn something new and interesting! Thanks for that ;-)

The image you saw was printed (no cropped on length!) 6.6 meters long (approx 215 inches)

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for your hospitality and kind words. I'm still impressed by the 6 (?) metres wide backlit display from a single camera frame you had up as the backdrop of your stand. Impressive image, and not just the size. It was also nice to see the huge book of your 3 year project in real life. Very high quality indeed.

Cheers,
Bart

Cem_Usakligil

In order to stop the contamination of Bart's topic, I have moved the exhibition related posts to a new thread of their own here.

Cheers,