• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Bangladesh!

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
NCL6622_85x110_Prophoto_RVB.jpg

Watever and the International Multihull Boat Show are pleased to announce «Bangladesh!» an exhibition of photographs by Nicolas Claris .
This exhibition will be held in the VIP tent at the International Multihull Boat Show in La Grande Motte from April 10 to 14, it describes the context within the NGO Watever operates in Bangladesh.
Prints can be ordered to support the activities of the association.

Watever aims to assist the resourceless populations who live on the shores of oceans and rivers through the study and implementation of technical solutions to their economic, social and climatic conditions in all areas related to water.

PS when this exhibition will be over, I'll post a link to view the 16 other images. The one above is the opening image of the exhibition.
PS2 I have happily done this job for free, as a personal contribution. All sales will be 100% credited to Watever.
PS3 Many thanks to our partners Dupon and Pentax

Last edited:

Antonio Correia

Very nice image to begin such an exhibition !
Congratulations for your work.
I am sure most of the images will be sold !!
Can't way to have a look at the other images :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Spectacular image, Nicolas. It is not only immediately interesting and beautiful, it also demonstrates the importance of jute as an employment resource for the local Bangladeshi people. I join in commending your public spirit and generosity. A lot of time at sea and decades of loving everything about it has gone into this picture. Good luck on the exhibit. we're so proud of you!

Le Grande Motte, I discovered, is a recent commune with some pyramid structures on the southern coast of France.

Asher

Last edited by a moderator:

nicolas claris

Thank you very much Antonio, I really appreciate your kind comments.
In my orinal message I forgot to give the link to Watever, fault repaired !

nicolas claris

Thank you asher : D
It has been a strange but beautiful journey in Bangladesh.
I came with my camera and my heart and the return from Bengalis people was just one of the most amazing gift I ever received. These people had no idea why I came there.
They were just nice, welcoming and smiling. So proud that some stranger fellow like me could be opened and curious about their sight, their life and their work.
We do share the same planet and if we're all open minded and humble, there are good reasons for hope.
Just after this journey (I do not know why, but I can't use the word travel), I spent a short week in Bordeaux and flew to Florida. What a difference!

nicolas claris

Vernissage!

More than 150 people last night joined us for the opening of the exhibition BANGLADESH! in La Grande Motte, lots of prints were sold to support the Watever NPO ... For those who are still there, the exhibition lasts til Sunday evening and it is always possible to order prints on the Watever stand at the International multihull Show. For all others, the images can be viewed here.
Attention, they are not free of rights...
10_NCL6551_60x76_Prophoto_RVB.jpg

Asher Kelman

More than 150 people last night joined us for the opening of the exhibition BANGLADESH! in La Grande Motte, lots of prints were sold to support the Watever NPO ... For those who are still there, the exhibition lasts til Sunday evening and it is always possible to order prints on the Watever stand at the International multihull Show. For all others, the images can be viewed here.
Attention, they are not free of rights...

Nicolas,

This is most beautiful. It's not often we see such collections of painted boats, all siblings, cast on a beach as if the fisherman have all run off to some great event. Where can we buy prints?

Asher

nicolas claris

Bonsoir Asher
these boats aren't equal… the ones you see with poles and black flags (used to identify nets when they are underwater) are still active. All others (foreground) are slowly drying and dying because the wood ain't good enough. This is why the NPO Watever tries to find new way of building boats in Bangladesh (and in other countries as well) using jute fiber (they even test bamboo for planking), the aim is to provide the possibility to build boats lighter, cheaper, stronger and requiring less care, thus lasting longer…
Prints can be bought directly from Watever or email. Price is 400€ plus delivery for a 50x66 cm print (with Durst Lambda).
You may find also some info on a Facebook page we did create (sorry, most in French!).
We DO needs "Likes" or "share" to increase visibility, OPFers you're welcome to help even if you don't buy prints!
Here! Thank you for the Bengalis people : )

PS of course I don't get money from the sales (neither for the shooting). All goes to Watever.

nicolas claris

03_NCL5497_60x76_Prophoto_RVB.jpg

Always smiling people, but still a (very) hard life… :

07_NCL6450_60x76_Prophoto_RVB.jpg

08_NCL6608_60x76_Prophoto_RVB.jpg
Please do not edit or repost on the web.

Asher Kelman

Nicolas,

Maybe my failing eyesight or not enough good wine, but I fail to find where to buy prints!!! I did send off an email to Whatever.org for clarification, but perhaps, it's there, easy to find and I'm just missing it!

Asher

nicolas claris

Hi Asher
your eyes aren't weak, it's just my explanation…
For now, the order form is not online…
First check online on www.claris.fr/Watever which image one wish to order, (#1, 2, 3 etc.)
then send an email to contact at watever.org specifying the image and your location and they will reply and organize. It may take a (short) while for the print as they're made on request.
Thank yo for your support!

Robert Watcher

I came with my camera and my heart and the return from Bengalis people was just one of the most amazing gift I ever received. These people had no idea why I came there.
They were just nice, welcoming and smiling. So proud that some stranger fellow like me could be opened and curious about their sight, their life and their work.
We do share the same planet and if we're all open minded and humble, there are good reasons for hope.
Just after this journey (I do not know why, but I can't use the word travel), I spent a short week in Bordeaux and flew to Florida. What a difference!

I understand very much, your sentiments after my recent journey to the country of Nicaragua (one of the poorest countries in this hemisphere).

Very compelling images you have displayed. I really like the gentle tonality in all, with the cyans/light neutrals and splashes of colour - - - as well as the high viewpoint on the first image.

Hope all went well with the exhibit.

-----

nicolas claris

Nicolas,

Maybe my failing eyesight or not enough good wine, but I fail to find where to buy prints!!! I did send off an email to Whatever.org for clarification, but perhaps, it's there, easy to find and I'm just missing it!

Asher

Order form is now available!

In English :
http://claris.fr/Watever/order/index_en.html
In French :
http://claris.fr/Watever/order/index.html

Thank you for your support OPFers!
But if you can't (or don't) want by prints, you still can "like" the job there: https://www.facebook.com/BangladeshExposition

Cem_Usakligil

A great project and great pictures Nicolas, bravo!
Especially the tones of blue/green and yellow/brown are wonderful.

nicolas claris

Cem, my friend

I have to admit that the Pentax together with LR 4 (and now the 5 beta) are doing a great job.
For the Pentax, LR4 engine is almost at same level than C1… However caucasian skin tones gives me headaches : (

nicolas claris

I understand very much, your sentiments after my recent journey to the country of Nicaragua (one of the poorest countries in this hemisphere).

Very compelling images you have displayed. I really like the gentle tonality in all, with the cyans/light neutrals and splashes of colour - - - as well as the high viewpoint on the first image.

Hope all went well with the exhibit.

-----
Hi Robert
as I come back reading your post, I realize that you have the same sight as Cem on this work.
I don't know if I said already here, but even if it's about water and boats, this is a completely different approach for me. A kind of eye opener (or re opener).
To carry out this work on behalf of the NGO Watever we wanted to approach the subject without moaning or voyeurism, but show the beauty and pride of the Bengalis and their country. Try to get close, bring our sight, from earthlings to earthlings.

I felt that I had to have a very soft, clean and gentle treatment of contrasts and colors BUT keeping strong and powerful images…

I would be more than happy to have Fahim writing comments about this here. He is -like you- un grand voyageur.

Thanks for stopping by. I'll have to check your website to visit Nicaragua (my brother went there some months as a teacher during the civil war for the European Community.

Asher Kelman

Nicolas,

This is most beautiful. It's not often we see such collections of painted boats, all siblings, cast on a beach as if the fisherman have all run off to some great event. Where can we buy prints?

Asher

This is the one my wife and I chose for our kitchen, being rebuilt after a flood earlier this year. The workers are still with jack hammers and oil powered saws cutting into the concrete to fix the pipes and drainage now that it's all dried out. One wall I put aside for one large picture. It was going to be a B&W print of mine of calla lilies. However, I find it's very much more thrilling to have this remarkable picture to remind me of great friendship, Bordeaux, Paris, friendship and all the devotion Nicolas put into designing the look, form and philosophy of this forum we all share.

Please visit Nicolas Claris' link as there are many equally wonderful pictures, large and smaller to buy and it all goes to a worth cause: to help local workers, their families and entire communities support themselves using local renewable resources. more than bread is put on their table, but also new visions and hope for their future. :)

Any purchase will be also considered as a deserving recognition of appreciation for the creative work put into this forum by Nicolas, without which these pages would be much less friendly! :)

Asher

nicolas claris

Asher mon ami (my friend ; )
Only one word (well two as a matter of fact): thank you!
And thank you for the Bengali people, they are so poor but so welcoming and friendly!

fahim mohammed

PS3 Many thanks to our partners Dupon and Pentax

Hi Nicolas...

Let me begin with Romain's superb filming, mostly in Chittagong ( I presume ). There are some haunting and wonderful stills that I could identify in there. Along with the some team members of Watever.

A long time ago, very long time ago, I had the opportunity to visit Chittagong and Sylhet. Then Much recently, I had the chance to see MR's series on the shipmakers ( and child workers ) of Bangladesh.

What strikes me the most, is that things have not changed that much, unfortunately. Maybe the progress has not trickled down to the general populace.

The construction and launching of the boat made by jute fibers was a wonderful scene. As was the split second scene of the fisherman casting his net... And many more.

The images you have posted here and the one's in your gallery...they are wonderful and an authentic, and beautifully, photographed. Of life in the fisherman's villages.

The shot of the boats lined up on the shores is mesmerizing.

It was indeed a pleasure to view this work, more so as I know of Romain's and your work in the playgrounds of the wealthy.

To me, this is where I would like to photograph. Or similar places.

And I wish I had the talent that Romain and you have to have photographed these images.

My very best to you both. And my best wishes for your family's continued success.

Take care.

p.s on a very personal note..very personal...i have the urge to pick up my camera/s...and venture forth;
not to the west ( I have seen most of it personally, in the movies, inundated with scenes from the no doubt wonderful places and lifestyles in the west ), but the east, se asia, africa is where my heart beckons me. South America..too far away. Other countries down south...well, they have nothing of interest for me that I have not already seen..not much different.

There is a whole world out there, like where you went. To so kindly bring these images back for us to see.

That is my very personal opinion. And not a reflection on anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:

nicolas claris

Thanks for stopping by Paul
yes these boats are really amazing, I went sailing (well motoring is more accurate) a few hours on one. These guys are great sailors.
The very special shape of bow and stern is to help when the wave are really huge on the sandbar during the monsoon. The boat goes up and down but if they are right on their course, the water won't fall inside the boat…

nicolas claris

@ Fahim
My friend, you're too kind with me as usual!
Yes the first set was very close to Chittagong, even some in Chittagong harbor. Then the second period of time was spent on the coast further to Cox"s Bazaar.

As you point it out, modernity haven't reached the people !

13_NCL4096_60x76_Prophoto_RVB.jpg

A transforming plant for jute. The machines here are hosted by they 4th country!

I had some news today from Chittagong, the hurricane was not as strong as expected and due to apparently good preparation by authorities (for once!) the damage have not been catastrophic…

Paul Abbott

It's nice to hear you had an experience of what the boat was like at sea, and a great experience no doubt. I know this doesn't match what you did but I happened to ride in a longtail boat in Thailand and they're fast and fun things...
In high waves the boatmen walk along the rim of the boat just like they're walking along a pavement. :)

The boats in your shots are so gaily coloured, they're beautiful.

nicolas claris

Yep, might have been a different experience, there they have old two cylinders diesel engines, and the boats aren't fast… But in Bangladesh, one have time…

nicolas claris

Here we are, the BANGLADESH! exhibition will be held in Paris from July 1st to 7 at the

Galerie Basia Embiricos
14, rue des Jardins Saint Paul 75004 Paris

Come with friends, let people know about this exhibition and share this facebook page with your friends! click "I like"! Support Watever…

_NCL3970_1000px.jpg

"Man eaten by the machine"

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

03_NCL5497_60x76_Prophoto_RVB.jpg

Always smiling people, but still a (very) hard life… :

Nicolas,

I'm not sure that happiness is based on wealth, but rather on what one has versus what one needs and expects. These kids look really full of joy. However, I doubt that even between them, they wouldn't have enough to buy a new bicycle.

Imagine the smile if they got a used one as a gift?

In our material-driven world, we are constantly upping the bar for what's needed. color TV's have to be larger, earphones need to have noise canceling and produce the experience of a sound studio and one's car needs to go from start to 100 KM per hour in 30 seconds or less!

Whatever we had last year is old fashioned, LOL! However, a hug from a child is worth a million times more. We tend to lose a lot of that by being at work all day and coming home to an apartment with few pople. Part of being human, the best part, is the joy of valuing each other and this your picture shows so well.

Asher​