• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Work!

Antonio Correia

It is important to note that the image doesn't give any clue to the place where it was done and that is something that should be present. I mean, the photo doesn't contextualize the work.
His working instruments are hidden which they shouldn't.

Taken in Khiva.
i-XBCVPPZ-X2.jpg

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thank you Asher for your comment. :)
It is important to note that the image doesn't give any clue to the place where it was done and that is something that should be present. I mean, the photo doesn't contextualize the work.
And no, he is not in a church he is an wood sculpture guy working (or pretending to) in his atelier.
Herewith another one in the same location more illustrative of the work they do.
Taken in Khiva.
i-XBCVPPZ-X2.jpg

I like this addition, Antonio!

Working with several ways of reflecting on the mans occupation allows us to build a rich picture. Perhaps 3 images per worker would be the right number...?

BTW, can you repeat you choice of printer and paper for your B&W images?

Asher

Antonio Correia

Work II

I decided to move into a new version of the project "Work" using only with duotoned images which are now the ones I like best. It is called "Work II"

I love this image I have done this late morning under bright sun and where I have overpowered the Sun with success.
The guy has been posing for me for some 15 or 20 minutes. I am sure he is going to like the photo. But not this one, duotone. A colored one instead, which I have made on purpose and already printed.
He is the guy who picked us at the airport as usual.

i-PDVzsxF-X3.jpg

James Lemon

Thank you Asher for your comment. :)
And no, he is not in a church he is an wood sculpture guy working (or pretending to) in his atelier.
Herewith another one in the same location more illustrative of the work they do.
Taken in Khiva.
i-XBCVPPZ-X2.jpg

Yes a very nice addition! The context of his surroundings gives him space to work and adds to the overall good feeling of this image.

Antonio Correia

I like this addition, Antonio! Working with several ways of reflecting on the mans occupation allows us to build a rich picture. Perhaps 3 images per worker would be the right number...? BTW, can you repeat you choice of printer and paper for your B&W images? Asher

I almost missed your post Asher ! :)
3 images per worker... huummm. I never never thought about it and at the moment of capture I was targeted to just one. Perhaps in the future.

Mac 27" calibrated with Spyder 4. Epson Stylus Photo R3000 profiled to Ilford Galerie Prestige Gold Fiber Silk 310gr paper. On CS3 I always check clipping areas.

Previously I was using Hahnemuhle, thicker, more expensive and with very similar results.

i-4srtKx7-X3.jpg

Chris Heilman

I almost missed your post Asher ! :)
3 images per worker... huummm. I never never thought about it and at the moment of capture I was targeted to just one. Perhaps in the future.

Mac 27" calibrated with Spyder 4. Epson Stylus Photo R3000 profiled to Ilford Galerie Prestige Gold Fiber Silk 310gr paper. On CS3 I always check clipping areas.

Previously I was using Hahnemuhle, thicker, more expensive and with very similar results.

i-4srtKx7-X3.jpg

That Gallerie paper was excellent, wasn't it? Unfortunately, it has gone the way of Kodachrome, HIE and Velvia 50.

Antonio Correia

That Gallerie paper was excellent, wasn't it? Unfortunately, it has gone the way of Kodachrome, HIE and Velvia 50.

This paper is conceived for jet-ink printers as you know Chris. :)

I like it. I still have a lot of samples from Ilford and Canson but I have never used them so far.

James Lemon

I decided to move into a new version of the project "Work" using only with duotoned images which are now the ones I like best. It is called "Work II"

I love this image I have done this late morning under bright sun and where I have overpowered the Sun with success.
The guy has been posing for me for some 15 or 20 minutes. I am sure he is going to like the photo. But not this one, duotone. A colored one instead, which I have made on purpose and already printed.

i-PDVzsxF-X3.jpg

Very nice Antonio! I am looking at this on a new computer with 2560 x1440 resolution.

Asher Kelman

At last, these old favorite post has been made to reappear by a lot of detective work.

Somehow the original thread was deleted.

So here we go! We are alive again!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Let's make a fresh start.

i-fVxCDgt-XL.jpg

Antonio,

First the subject is intriguing and on immediate glance, one might think this is a soldier resting in battle. Then we realize that, instead he's an artisan grinding or cutting, stones perhaps. Gradually we get to translate so much packed information in this photograph, yet it still is a very simple and clean composition.

This is the work of a mature B&W craftsman as you have used the gray scale very well. There are shades over every section that transition beautifully. There is no evidence of shortcuts like sharpening to cover up poor technique.

Thanks for bringing us back to working people!

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator

i-PDVzsxF-X3.jpg

Antonio
Your "Work" and "Work II" series are beautiful but also important for the memories.
Some of these artisans will not exist anymore soon :(
One can see that every single image is more than a photo, it has been carefully prepared, framed (in camera). It shows your understanding of the persons shown as well as a great empathy from you.
However, I like this one even more as it brings more than a testimonial, it has a special spirit very well captured. I would love to see it in colours! ;)

Well done!

Asher Kelman

Antonio
Your "Work" and "Work II" series are beautiful but also important for the memories.
Some of these artisans will not exist anymore soon :(
One can see that every single image is more than a photo, it has been carefully prepared, framed (in camera). It shows your understanding of the persons shown as well as a great empathy from you.
However, I like this one even more as it brings more than a testimonial, it has a special spirit very well captured. I would love to see it in colours! ;)

Well done!

Great comment and sentiments, Nicolas!

As to color, this is meant to be in B&W just as a nude is meant to be without clothes. For sure one can clothe a model and chose from Givenchy, Hermes or my wife's large closet and she will be so fascinating, but different.

Funny to consider, a nude bereft of makeup, (or disguise in colored silk), is the truth. There are no conceits or pretenses here. A photograph devoid of color is really not the truth, but is perhaps we can assert that it's the fabric supporting the truth.

Asher

nicolas claris

Great comment and sentiments, Nicolas!

As to color, this is meant to be in B&W just as a nude is meant to be without clothes. For sure one can clothe a model and chose from Givenchy, Hermes or my wife's large closet and she will be so fascinating, but different.

Funny to consider, a nude bereft of makeup, (or disguise in colored silk), is the truth. There are no conceits or pretenses here. A photograph devoid of color is really not the truth, but is perhaps we can assert that it's the fabric supporting the truth.

Asher

Well, well, I still do not agree, but I know that you know that I'm stubborn as a mule!

As for this special request, it is because Antonio wrote himself :
I am sure he is going to like the photo. But not this one, duotone. A colored one instead, which I have made on purpose and already printed.
I may have been a taxi driver in a preceeding life! ;)

Antonio Correia

All the photos I have been taken for some time now, are not exclusively in Portugal but in countries I have visited.
Work is a transversal activity which involves us all.

@ Asher - The guy with the mask I posted before the taxi driver, was doing some work on stone. He is actually digging two washbasins.

@ James - Thank you James for viewing and commenting

@ Nicolas - Thank you for viewing and commenting Nicolas. This series is supposed to be in sepia. The taxi driver has been patient enough so I could set the flash and position myself. I even asked him to move the car from one place to another so I could get the right background and the right Sunlight. We were in the middle of the road at some point. Indeed, I offered him a colored print in A5 which he was very happy to keep.
I am sorry but I can't find the original photo now... I don't even have a clue about the date it was taken. The lens yes, I do remember.

I hope to be able to keep posting some images under the subject "Work".

Perhaps others can post their... work ! :)

i-jkRpLQD-XL.jpg

nicolas claris

All the photos I have been taken for some time now, are not exclusively in Portugal but in countries I have visited.
Work is a transversal activity which involves us all.

@ Asher - The guy with the mask I posted before the taxi driver, was doing some work on stone. He is actually digging two washbasins.

@ James - Thank you James for viewing and commenting

@ Nicolas - Thank you for viewing and commenting Nicolas. This series is supposed to be in sepia. The taxi driver has been patient enough so I could set the flash and position myself. I even asked him to move the car from one place to another so I could get the right background and the right Sunlight. We were in the middle of the road at some point. Indeed, I offered him a colored print in A5 which he was very happy to keep.
I am sorry but I can't find the original photo now... I don't even have a clue about the date it was taken. The lens yes, I do remember.

I hope to be able to keep posting some images under the subject "Work".

Perhaps others can post their... work ! :)

No problem for the color one, it was just a request as I saw you had a version of it :)

As for people at work, I have a lot of them and I'm sure some other photogs too, but I think it should be in another "twin" thread so it wouldn't break the tone of your series…

Antonio Correia

No problem for the color one, it was just a request as I saw you had a version of it :)
As for people at work, I have a lot of them and I'm sure some other photogs too, but I think it should be in another "twin" thread so it wouldn't break the tone of your series…

No Nicolas. Don't worry. Go ahead and post your images of people working ! :)

Antonio Correia

Thank you Jerome for commenting.

Excuse me but I am not following you... what do you mean by "Is there anything they would have in common?" ?

They all belong to a larger set of photographs under the theme Work, but I am sure that is not what you mean. It is something else. But what is it ?

Jerome Marot

Well... I don't know what they could have in common or I would not ask. Maybe the time they were shot, maybe the lens you use, maybe the state of mind you were at the time. Anything they would have in common and that the others would not have.

Antonio Correia

Thank you Jerome and Asher for commenting.
Indeed what they have in common is the theme. They all are in sepia also...
The guy on the second photo was very happy to be photographed. I told him to keep working as I shot. I was very careful about the distance because of the sparks he was sending.
All the photographs were done under natural light.