• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge: Morning Light

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Asher Kelman: Morning Light

Add your own!

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
My turn…
Some years ago, I shot a series with the morning light… It was named "Dimanche matin"

First a little read (in French, you may use online translators…)

Le dimanche matin, le soleil s'invite dans la maison.
Comme, presque tous les jours, mais les autres jours je ne suis pas là…
La lumière qui se faufile sur le sol, les murs ou les meubles m’émeut. Vivace et volatile, subtile et éphémère. Belle ! Mais joueuses et maligne elle s'amuse dans un mouvement lent et inexorable à défier l’ombre . Elle est si sûre d’elle ! Pourtant l’ombre, sa vieille complice, s’amuse bien elle aussi sans jamais se laisser rattraper… Elles s’adorent, unies, du soir au matin elles rient et se jouent de nous. Avec majesté.

Madame la lumière, je vous souhaite une bonne journée…

_N000014_Blurb_web.jpg

_N000166_Blurb_web.jpg

_N000353_Blurb_web.jpg

_N001054_Blurb_web.jpg

_N001728_22x33_Blurb_web.jpg

_N000243-Blurb_web.jpg

NICO0081-Blurb_web.jpg

Asher Kelman

Thanks for this important addition. I find your pictures to be perfectly enchanting, Nicolas.

[Isn’t it necessary to have the title “Dimanche Matin”?

Imagine

• “Lilly flower”, instead of the Fleur-de-Lis!
  • De Gaulle, “Of Gaul”
  • J’en ais fois dans le coeur”, “I’m cold in my heart”!
If one has read your poetics in French, the English, as a title, is too ordinary, the difference between fine porcelain and wet clay!]

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Thanks for this important addition. I find your pictures to be perfectly enchanting, Nicolas.
Thank you Asher
[Isn’t it necessary to have the title Dimanche Matin? One wouldn’t call De Gaulle, “Of Gaul” or “J’en ais fois dans le coeur”, “I had cold in my heart”!
If one has read your poetics in French, the English, as a title, is too ordinary, the difference between fine porcelain and wet clay!]
Well, it's an old series.
Now, for the English version of "ROUGE" and "NOIRS" I have kept the French wording for the titles…

Asher Kelman

Thanks, it’s far too special and important in the original French to translate casually! One needs to be a Shakespeare to do the original justice!

It used to be Portuguese and Spanish armies, but now the universe of English is a massive “cultural steam roller” that smooths over everything, crushing the delicate flowers .....and the nymphs that adore long shadows when the sun goes to sleep at night!

Remember, it’s not just fine wines and great cheeses! We need French for the charm, the “Je m’en fou”, the fresh pose, the prose and the rich melancholie!

Asher

Robert Watcher

OK - I missed Morning :eek:

Is Noon fine? :LOL:

Thought it is a good challenge to just use my iPhone, point and shoot. So here are three shots with NO INTENTION, NO PREPARATION, and NO MEANING. One taken laying in bed and the other two I stepped outside my bedroom.

Asher Kelman

Robert,

Actually the first picture, believe it or not, is exhibition quality but needs brethren and that is the challenge. The cell phone gives a unique intimacy and immediacy less easily reached with real cameras!

This has a lot of layering of textures:

• The blue grey wall side lit to show geometry.
  • An overlay of slanted parallel lines.
  • The pants with long legs, stooped over.
  • Clothes pegs, points for eyes to stop at.
  • A yellow wash cloth as a counterbalance!

So, without you perhaps realizing it, decades of formal well-thought our professional shots have allowed a grasp towards something on impulse and it’s all there, as if you are one lucky owner of a smart phone!

Asher

Robert Watcher

Thanks for the compliment Asher.

Having noticed that composition on the back wall of our apartment, does give me something to store in my mind as future source reference.

And yes I am the owner of an old clunker iPhone that isn’t considered worthy of taking good pictures by today’s critical standards. ?

———-

Robert Watcher

3 complimentary pieces from the Drying Wall taken around noon today. Decided to include the yellow cloth in each - for better or worse. IPhone photography

Asher Kelman

Robert,

I have learned from this. Once you have the location and the Rembrandt lighting and b.g. so perfect, it easily allows swopping of the main subject.

So far, everything cloth and disorder works!

I wonder about several umbrellas?

Asher

Robert Watcher

A very small room - Grid Wall / Grid Door

Just watching the Toronto/Boston hockey game in our living room and noticed the strong shadows out our back door. I played with including the door, shooting through it, and the plain wall including strong patterns on the floor. iPhone 6

Asher Kelman

All these pictures are foundational as they break mental boundaries and allow you to compose in new universes.

BTW, I like hockey in that it has such skill and coordination and grace built into it and yet, (apart from celebrated stick fights), pretty well risk free for the players compared to the brain damage in American Football.

Is British Rugby football common in Canada, or is the American influence just too powerful?

Asher

Robert Watcher

All these pictures are foundational as they break mental boundaries and allow you to compose in new universes.

BTW, I like hockey in that it has such skill and coordination and grace built into it and yet, (apart from celebrated stick fights), pretty well risk free for the players compared to the brain damage in American Football.

Is British Rugby football common in Canada, or is the American influence just too powerful?

Asher

Not common but played (we played it in high school). About the same commonality as lacrosse. Soccer is only slightly more popular.

We follow American Football, but also have our own professional Canadian Football League - which to many Canadians is a faster paced more exciting game (3 downs, 12 players, larger field, no fair catches). We have a Toronto team in the NBA, so that is draw for Canadians. Same with MLB. But hockey is the sport we love and love to play in all our communities at the same level that we found soccer to be in Costa Rica.

———

Asher Kelman

This is my first Southern view of the morning. I built this window just for this purpose!

Asher Kelman: Morning Light March 2019
Asher