• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Macro shots with the new extension tubes

Jim Olson

Still trying to get the correct focus. I'm using Live View and digital Zoom to do manual focus since I have no Auto Focus with the tubes.
IMG_5297 E9 C8 S6 Bri crop.jpg

IMG_5299 E12 C10 S8 Temp -3 Bri crop.jpg

IMG_5304 E12 C10 S8 Bri.jpg

IMG_5307 E12 C10 S8 Bri crop.jpg

IMG_5309 E12 C10 S8 Bri.jpg

While it can help a lot at close up scales, I've not found AF useful at all for macro. With one of my setups the entire focusing movement from the marked infinity to MFD works out changing the focus distance from 125mm to 120mm. Adding this limited range to the possibility that the AF picks the wrong bit of the subject.makes AF pure frustration. In most cases gradually changing lens-subject distance (rocking back & forth to finish) works much better.Using a focusing rail on a tripod is ideal when the subject is static - but I find thats rarely the case for me so I often end up using flash.

I wouldn't worry about the lack of AF with your tubes unless your using much longer lenses on them, with a 200mm lens on my MFT tubes AF can be handy, but this is a long way from macro.

FWIW Your last 3 images in the opening post are IMO better than I manage to get for the vast majority of my macro efforts.

Jim Olson

While it can help a lot at close up scales, I've not found AF useful at all for macro. With one of my setups the entire focusing movement from the marked infinity to MFD works out changing the focus distance from 125mm to 120mm. Adding this limited range to the possibility that the AF picks the wrong bit of the subject.makes AF pure frustration. In most cases gradually changing lens-subject distance (rocking back & forth to finish) works much better.Using a focusing rail on a tripod is ideal when the subject is static - but I find thats rarely the case for me so I often end up using flash.

I wouldn't worry about the lack of AF with your tubes unless your using much longer lenses on them, with a 200mm lens on my MFT tubes AF can be handy, but this is a long way from macro.

FWIW Your last 3 images in the opening post are IMO better than I manage to get for the vast majority of my macro efforts.
Thank you for the kind words about my images & I did try to use a little rocking back & forth to help focus. I am using a 70 - 300mm lens with the extension tubes.
It is interesting to get the correct focus, but it is just fun to play with them. I only paid $10 for them from Adorama.

Last edited: