• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

More of the 2nd year Anniversary Post Hurricane Series

Chris Calohan

I Love PC

love-pc-bw.jpg

Bingo No More

bingo-no-more.jpg

Church's Fried Chicken (Redo)

churchs-2.jpg

Demo

demo-bw.jpg

Gold Status (Redo)

gold-status-bw.jpg

Outdoor Equipment Store

outdoor-equip-bw.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
These will be important for your City. I hope you can have an exhibition, joining up with another 3-5 photographers and sell some prints and a book!

Asher

Asher Kelman

A work in progress.
Chris,

When one first looks at the sections of shelves and timber piled up randomly, one would think that this is essentially repairable as the timber is fairly intact.

2950596C-9FFC-47E8-9281-B9175C1FCF8F.jpeg

All that we can see could and would be resized here by local Mexican companies who carefully arrange and pack it all as building materials for new structures. I have seen whole houses disassembled like that.

However, here,,the cre structural frames are no longer certain. The walls havecto be skeletenized to support and safely secure all major columns to the concrete slab which likely has shifted or is cracked.

So were these simply bulldozed or rebuilt?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Once the city declares they are unfixable, they will bring in the bulldozers.
I can see that it’s easier when the City condemns a building 100%, as then the insurance is defined and that helps everyone!

But do they try to recycle the timber at all?

In New Jersey, at least the do repurpose the wood! But that’s high grade it seems.

Asher

Chris Calohan

Doubtful. It would be a grand idea and to some extent they do some separation when demolishing large structures like housing projects but more for the steel and aluminum than the wood. So much unlike So Cal or even up north in that a combination of rain and humidity takes a quick toll on wood, paper and sheetrock. Just yesterday, the hurricane far from us, but catching a band of accompanying rain, we got 5 inches in 2 1/2 hours...in the last hurricane that came through, much closer, we got 13 inches over a 24 hour period. 99% of the houses built in my area use southern yellow pine which if not used for housing, is used to make cardboard.