• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Barcelona pano

Valentin Arfire

http://www.europhoto.ro/valentin/BCN/hill/hillview.html

hello friends

Here is another pano from Barcelona - a distinct view from a quite high hill.
I find remarkable that among the graffiti there was enough room for a poem.

(4 shots at -15 degrees plus zenith
Canon 5D + Tokina 10-17 fisheye on 360 Precision Adjuste panohead)

I reduced the 40 MB - 10000x5000 original to 6000x3000 pixels, so it is possible to have some jpg artifacts and is a little soft to my taste.

regards,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
http://www.europhoto.ro/valentin/BCN/hill/hillview.html

hello friends

Here is another pano from Barcelona - a distinct view from a quite high hill.
I find remarkable that among the graffiti there was enough room for a poem.

(4 shots at -15 degrees plus zenith
Canon 5D + Tokina 10-17 fisheye on 360 Precision Adjuste panohead)

I reduced the 40 MB - 10000x5000 original to 6000x3000 pixels, so it is possible to have some jpg artifacts and is a little soft to my taste.

regards,
Valentin,

You do not do your work justice. This is not one picture, but a remarkable photo essay on parts of Barcelona that many people might never otherwise see. This reminds me of Mitch's pictures of Bangkok. He works in B&W following the denizens of the city going about their ordinary repeated lives. You also show in a side that tourists might miss! However you work in color and without people, but people are there, playing, arguing and speaking grievances or sharing beer wine or a quiet romance. Might you consider giving us more pictures of each part 800 pixels wide!

There is so much important detail to see. There are bowls where kids must hang out with graffiti on the walls and one with text on the ground, likely an epitaph!

This paint did not come from nowhere. There's color, design, stories and pain, joy, paint and grass which tell stories. Sp I have a lot of patience for this. Your work deserves attention to much more than the "Wow!" of a pano!

This is rich. Pat yourself on the back, but still give us the full tour too!

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

There we go again! Nicolas, you must keep me orientated. I'm too much into trying to translate the writing in the concrete bowl! Who can read it?

Got too distracted by the head of the cow or another senior moment!

We have to travel together to Madrid, Barcelona and Seville then on to Portugal! We could drive from Bordeaux or go by train!

Asher

Valentin Arfire

12000 x 6000 pixel supersized hill panorama

here is the large version of the hill picture;

http://www.europhoto.ro/valentin/BCN/hill/big/tiledsphere.html

Since it is of almost 8 MB I used the following technique: transform the equirectangular into small tiles - 1128 of them - so that the page would load only some tiles at a time.
It was a few hours work and this technology is specific actually for gigapixel panoramas, but now to a certain zoom one can actually read the poem.

About the place, I don't know its legend - looks like remains of a frankist fortress that is a proper place for antennas and kids.

enjoy,

Michael Fontana

pro member
Valentin

looks good to me. It's alwith a battle between panoquality, amount of details, etc vs file weigh/loading time. Is the big pano done with krpano?

Beeing a pixel-peeper, at the University-pano, some tree's show shrapening halos (??) in the sky; you could reduce it probably by appying a layer-mask; paint the halos away.

Valentin Arfire

Hi Michael, thank you for the positive critique

actually the rational step would have been to extract the text of the poem and connect it with hotspots connected to the zoom-limited first one (I don't know how to do this).

poem.jpg

For the large 12000x6000 I had to compress the 280 MB tif to a jpg, then to batch split it into over 1100 tiles. When converting it I couldn't help it and increased the shadows while darkening the very bright parts, but there was no extra sharpening. Of course the tiff looks better.

regards,

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Fascinating. I've never visited Barcelona (although I've recently finished a book with an artist from Barcelona). The landscape reminds me of that of San Francisco. I expected to see the Golden Gate Bridge.

The hill from which you shot this appears to have ruins from some previous structure. Do you know anything about it? Is that location now principally a kids' drinking/drugging/sexing spot?

Thank you, Valentin!

Valentin Arfire

seagon greetings

dear friends

from the beautiful Barcelona I send you all the best wishes and a beautiful and prosper 2009.

here's a view from a Barcelona port - hope you'll enjoy it and warm this solstice.

the mercator
small-port-mercator.jpg

the cylinder
small-port-cyl.jpg

regards,

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
I sincerely hope I'm not boring or otherwise inappropriate in my intention to take you around Barcelona.

Buenas Valentin
I had a post here which vanished in yesterday OPF's troubles!

Roughly it was saying "not at all!" please do continue, I do love Barcelona, and have visited many times…

I was also suggesting/requesting some panos from "La Rambla" and "Mercat de Sant Josep" as well.

I know these are places very touristic but also typical from Barcelona, I'm sure that it would please OPFers, though I do understand that "panoing" these crowded places is really a challenge. Right for you!

Thank you very much for your greetings with the marina panos!

Last edited:

Valentin Arfire

A brief visit to the ancient Royal Palace of Barcelona

Unfortunately they got my entrance fee and after my second shot it proved tripod photography was forbidden indoors.

I believe this is counterproductive and unfair, maybe we should contact an organization that may defend us regarding arbitrary interpretation and abuse when comes to photography.
Here in Barcelona I had to obtain two permits to take pictures (one for street images and one for parcs) and of course give an explanation and wait for a few days...

anyway here are the results

http://www.europhoto.ro/valentin/BCN/Royal/entrance.html

http://www.europhoto.ro/valentin/BCN/Royal/throne.html

regards,

Valentin Arfire

permits and photography fun

hello Asher

first I think this ought to become a new thread because of its potential importance: I'd like to know what photographers do when confronted to official obtuse behaviour and what legal steps can be taken in order to avoid future harass of the photographers while doing their hobby and/or work. I leave this to you.

In Barcelona I had a Ajuntamiento (City Hall) permit for pictures on the public space streets and markets that will expire on Dec 31 and another for the parks that already expired on 24th. for each I had to complete a form and say for what I was going use the resulting photos, as well as a promise I'll keep them informed. Of course if I'd make a profit out of it I'd probably had to pay... I said it were for my portfolio. And if I'll have a version of my portfolio printed this won't be sold.

I remember in Romania, a former communist country the law states that a city hall can mark certain perimeters of strategic importance with a certain sign and from 50 meters away one could take the pictures with no other explanation; just imagine my shock after being threaded by an elderly gentleman here that I really need those permits....

Of course the police keeps a low profile and probably wouldn't act too tough on such a thing as taking pictures with a tripod.
On the other hand I know a lot of people using monopodes, ladders or even a fishing rod for high-ground pictures; what will be written on their permits? What will be written in case - God forbid - I'd have the idea to fly a helicopter with a remote camera and take aerian pictures or film?

I know Woody Allen had a problem with traffic when asking the local authorities here and finally got really upset.

I wrote to European Commission and they didn't have and recommendation except getting along to the local rules. :( For Germany there is a Panorama freiheit law but I don't know whether it is applicable elsewhere. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_panorama

I look forward in ideas to solve this problem.

regarding the beauty of the place yes it is very well preserved and probably dripping with history.

here is the wikipedia link on Catalonia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalonia#History

regards,

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

hello Asher

first I think this ought to become a new thread because of its potential importance: I'd like to know what photographers do when confronted to official obtuse behaviour and what legal steps can be taken in order to avoid future harass of the photographers while doing their hobby and/or work. I leave this to you.

Your new thread is here!

regarding the beauty of the place yes it is very well preserved and probably dripping with history.

here is the wikipedia link on Catalonia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalonia#History
Thanks so much. Your pictures are inspiring.

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Bart
I think Valentin was joking because of the character shown on the picture (an allien according to the title).
On La Rambla in Barcelona there are many many guys standing without moving for long times till someone give them a coin. The one shown here is an alien hence maybe dangerous…

Valentin Arfire

Girona (windows only)

Besides Barcelona, Catalonia consists of several other beautiful cities, among them is the lovely Girona

www.europhoto.ro/valentin/lovely_girona/pano.html

The thing about it is the workflow:
bracketed images with Canon 5D with 10-17 Tokina (14.5 mm)
DPP to convert the raw, PTlens to correct the small CA, PTGUI to stitch, pano2vr to extract 3322 pixel cubefaces and Dorin's DevalTouch to deal with the tripod/broken lines.

This is the reason it can be seen only with DevalVR - sorry for the Mac and Linux guys.

regards,

Asher Kelman

I must say that the user experience of the live panos is excellent with just a brief black crescent at the crossover between successive images.

Asher

Valentin Arfire

thank you Asher for the kind words.
I have just took the pictures this time only jpegs compressed "M" (the time for each picture is marked in the corner - I only didn't change it for the local hour - it is automatically taken from the exif) and uploaded the pictures to Dorin's Livepanoramas; a few hours later they were online as you see them :) no stitching is a wonderful achievement. Of course the camera was mounted on a panoramic head and I tried to level the tripod as good as the short time requested, but in the given time you see the result.
:)

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Valentine,

Thanks so much for sharing these. What I am wondering about is the practicality of taking these pictures. From what I can see looking at your shadow in the Nadir of some panos, you have the camera on a tripod. Each pano is composed of 5-6 pictures. You have to set up the tripod, adjust the leveling, turn around 360 and make the 6 shots, pick up the whole thing, rush to the next stop some 50-100 mt further, all within a minute or two. And repeat this cycle for about 40 times within a couple of hours. It must be a crazy sight and attract a lot of (unwanted) attention from the passers by? How does this really work? Looks like crazy to me ;-)

Cheers,

Valentin Arfire

hi Cem

the 57 panoramas I could take would request a much larger amount of time. You saw those pictures in about 24 hours since I took them

The processing/photoshopping intervention may be unwanted in several regards: what you see is precisely what it was with no intervention; this could be a documentary probe - as you see the time is marked on each image.

Indeed I used a panoramic head and tripod; only wish I could respect the non parralax point without them, since it is often forbidden to take pictures using a tripod.

So since I make them faster and easier - is normal they would cost less and could be of certain technical interest.

thank you for the interest