• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Rice field...

fahim mohammed

p3382595911-6.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fahim,

Stark and impressive.

I only would recognize a rice field with folk in the water. What is there about it that tells us it’s rice? Just wondering if it’s the thickness of the stalks?

Are you planning to print this?

Asher

Peter Dexter

Fahim an unusual landscape image and pleasingly stark as Asher mentioned. is this in an Asian setting? I learned recently there is a very flat part of Colombia called the Llanos where rice is a major agricultural product. Evidently flat ground holds water well making it suitable for rice farming.

Charlotte Thompson

Fahim

I love that you made this black and white! Asians have many rice fields They consume a lot of rice in their diet ! Love the mountain and clouds in the background and also healthy rice foreground. A special catch !

Charlotte

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Such a stark difference between rice grown in Asia and that grown in Australia.
Rice 'paddies' don't exist here. The rice is grown in dry fields like wheat.
It can all be bad. We do export rice to China.
There goes that old adage: 'Like selling rice to China" as something quite impossible.

Are you living permanently in Asia these days, Fahim?

fahim mohammed

Hi Tom.

No, but spend a lot of time around them parts. I don't get random stop checks at airports or on streets !
Besides, I love Asia.

fahim mohammed

Nothing of that sort ,Tom. I don't carry backpacks.

I suffer from certain genetic mutations ( more than likely as a result of evolutionary changes to my cellular structure ) that, some perceive, need special care and looking after. This manifests itself in, what some consider, as physical and mental impairments; complexion, ' look and build ' and go by a strange name as a result of my environment.

I don't want to burden these good souls with the added expense to provide me with the special care and assistance, that I need.

God Bless them all.

Asher Kelman

I suffer from certain genetic mutations ( more than likely as a result of evolutionary changes to my cellular structure ) that, some perceive, need special care and looking after. This manifests itself in, what some consider, as physical and mental impairments; complexion, ' look and build ' and go by a strange name as a result of my environment.

I don't want to burden these good souls with the added expense to provide me with the special care and assistance, that I need.

God Bless them all.
Hmm, my whole clan is blessed with the same DNA issues, for eons! As a consequence we suck up resources and attention!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*

God Bless them all.

Mm.

Perhaps that’s the source of my afflictions as well.

You are fortunate indeed to still have the capacity to travel. Mine is limited, christine accompanies me everywhere although I fear she might give me a shove at the top of a long staircase. I’m not the easiest of birds to keep cages.

Asher Kelman

Mm.

Perhaps that’s the source of my afflictions as well.

No chance, your issues are different for sure. Examples of seriously burdensome DNA coding sequence “variants” in the human genome have already been repaired in humans

...... and within 5-10 years it will be more generally available! Happily that’s the truth of the matter.

CRISPR-Cas9​

But our centuries-old cellular afflictions cannot be approached, even with the latest crispr gene editing!

You are fortunate indeed to still have the capacity to travel. Mine is limited, christine accompanies me everywhere although I fear she might give me a shove at the top of a long staircase. I’m not the easiest of birds to keep cages.

You must have redeeming features or she’s have “done you in” by now!

No end of freaky accidental ways of nudging you over a cliff, LOL, and yet you are still breathing, LOL!

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Europe and the USA, use mostly wheat, corn and barley as grains. But rice is the staple diet of billions more people, by far!

Wikipedia is helpful in explaining!

Asian rice (Oryza sativa) is most widely known and most widely grown, with two major subspecies and over 40,000 varieties.[2] Also included in this list are varieties of African rice (Oryza glaberrima) and wild rice (genus Zizania). Rice may vary in genetics, grain length, color, thickness, stickiness, aroma, growing method, and other characteristics, leading to a vast variety. For instance, over nine major varieties of rice exist for the purpose of making sake alone.[3]

Rice can be divided into different categories on the basis of each of its major characteristics. The two subspecies of Asian rice, indica and japonica, can generally be distinguished by length and stickiness. Indica rice is long-grained and unsticky, while japonica is short-grained and glutinous.[4]

Read more of Rice Botany, first, then “variants” here!

Asher Kelman

Mm maybe holds promise for some...

Beyond CRISPR-Cas9
Fahim,

The most important advance will be to crispr-editing of popular cerials, such as rice, to yield high protein content with all needed amino acids! The will be the democratization of great nutrition. Plants will directly be producing fish and meat protein.

Rabbis have already “ruled” that pork protein made by plants is “kosher” and not a form of “meat” in the sense of Jewish Law. How hallal rules would apply I have not heard! But I see no issue with beef, the biggest farm source of methane and a recognized source of temperature pollutants that trap heat in the planet’s atmosphere leading to global warming. Helping provide high quality protein to massive burgeoning
populations is a great advance, although GMOs are maligned just like vaccines!

The danger of GMOs is not being poisoned or sone harm to health! Rather as circumstances on the planet change drastically, (or perhaps a new organism evolves or an ancient one escapes from the permafrost), many of the previous 2,000 year old natural rice and other grain variants will be desperately needed to rescue our food supply.

The danger in GMOs is that natural food crops will become extinct as farmers switch to herbicide resistant seeds!

Within our lifetimes we will see human vertebrae being 3D reprinted around the spinal cord in living people and the pancreas and kidneys replaced.

Already Tel Aviv University has built from scratch, (with all the separate diverse cell types, except the nervous pathways), an entire human heart with blood vessels. So far it would only fit in the pericardium of a big rabbit!

The most frightening advance is the total control of telomeres and thence the ending of death from senescence. Imagine, certain skilled folk might not be allowed to ever die!

Asher