• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Canon 600mm f4.

Just picked up my big lens its been serviced, cleaned, and calibrated. Just need to get out and use it. Does anyone else have the 600mm f4 lens?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Just picked up my big lens its been serviced, cleaned, and calibrated. Just need to get out and use it. Does anyone else have the 600mm f4 lens?

Some folk have drifted towards the 200-400 with the built in x1.4 instead!

Are you shooting with a APS-C camera or full frame?

Asher

Peter Dexter

Way too heavy for me as a walk around lens and I rarely shoot birds where I could use a tripod. Seen some great work come out of it though from friends.

Asher Kelman

This lens has a favorite use for me: roofs and balconies overlooking events or harbors!

But it’s not always necessary to even use the fabulous IS version you have!

Today with IBIS in Olympus, Sony and Fuji camera’s, one can even use the almost equally stellar Canon FD Mount 600 mm f 4.0!

My son has a balcony over the San Francisco harbor. He has this inexpensive eBay lens on a tripod always pointing at the incoming boats from China and Australia. So easy to use with a Sony A7RII and a Metabones adapter!

Asher Kelman

Way too heavy for me as a walk around lens and I rarely shoot birds where I could use a tripod. Seen some great work come out of it though from friends.
Peter,

Can you use a 400 mm instead! Today, cameras pack such high MP counts that perhaps one can manage with less reach and then use Topaz Gigapixel AI for the extra enlargement if need be!

Asher

Asher Kelman

But in a great motor-sports/beach location, give me a 600 mm lens on a tripod with a gimbal mount!

.......now thinking of hiring an assistant to carry all my gear.

So Gordon, what do you plan to use this beautiful 600 mm lens for now it’s repaired!

Asher

This lens has a favorite use for me: roofs and balconies overlooking events or harbors!

But it’s not always necessary to even use the fabulous IS version you have!

Today with IBIS in Olympus, Sony and Fuji camera’s, one can even use the almost equally stellar Canon FD Mount 600 mm f 4.0!

My son has a balcony over the San Francisco harbor. He has this inexpensive eBay lens on a tripod always pointing at the incoming boats from China and Australia. So easy to use with a Sony A7RII and a Metabones adapter!
My version is not the IS version. I use it on a sturdy 55 pro tripod and a benro G2 Gimbal head.