• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The SPIDER THREAD - post your spiders here.

Paul Iddon

Asher suggested a consolidated thread for various macro shots - so this is for spiders (not compulsory though!)

It gives us a chance to look at a genre of macro as a collection rather than a random titled thread.

I'll start us of with this:

This is the first time I have found a silver sided Sector spider - Latin name Zygiella x-notata.

spideryleaf03_4k_1800-X3.jpg

Paul.​

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Paul,

How could this modest spider have had the intuition or foresight, millions of years back that such a crackled porcelain design would both frighten descendants of apes and hold them in awe!

Asher

Paul Iddon

I spotted this spider on it's side on the garden flag stone, so moved it to a bit of leaf litter just at the side of it.. It did get onto it's legs and walk a little distance, but afterwards went back on to it's side. This is a mature male so no moults left for this one. He may just be at end of life, sustained an injury, or could be dehydrated, but hopefully, not on his last legs...

spiderlife0_4k_1800-X3.jpg

spiderlife1_4k_1800-X3.jpg

spiderlife2_4k_1800-X3.jpg

spiderlife3_4k_1800-X3.jpg

Paul.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It’s hard to understand all the ecologies that make so many spiders and insects so successful!

Asher
Perhaps spiders have a most effective mass to survival index ratio. They require minimal expenditure to propagate and survive past shortages in the type of food they are evolved to exploit.