• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The same ladybird? Possibly...

Paul Iddon

This is probably the same ladybird that I found the other night - I can't be sure, but it's a distinct possibility. I'm wondering today though, if it is a female, or not...

There are a few subtle differences to distinguish between a male and female ladybird (not counting the obvious) - which include the anterior coxal spots, longer antennae (in some species) prominent bands between body segments, and more. I read somewhere that another is the eyes of the males have white markings between them whereas females don't.

I'm not an entomologist so I could be wrong... If the last statement is correct, then we are seeing a male here...

male_LB_00_4k_1800-XL.jpg

male_LB_02_4k_1800-XL.jpg

male_LB_03_4k_1800-XL.jpg

male_LB_01_4k_1800-XL.jpg

male_LB_03_crop_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Paul.