• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A little mix

Paul Iddon

Look under stones and even around the garden bins, and you can find plenty of interesting insect life...

I think an Eupodidae (one of the Trombidiformes) starts us off, but not the best photo sadly, because it wouldn't stay still and was barely the size of a pin head...

Spiders (Amaurobius similis/fenestralis) and ladybirds can be found, and if you are fortunate enough to even spot one of these 1-2mm long springies, a Vertagopus arboreas elongate springtail (a first for me) and a more commonly seen Orchesella villosa (with some lovely dewdrops under the body) plus a wind-discarded seedhead.

eupodoidea_4k_1800-XL.jpg

spideronslab3_4k_1800-XL.jpg

spideronslab2_4k_1800-XL.jpg

spideronslab1_4k_1800-XL.jpg

sleepingladybird_4k_1800-XL.jpg

unknownelongate1_4k_1800-XL.jpg

elongatespringy%20copy_4k_1800-XL.jpg

seedhead1_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Paul.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Paul,

This is one of the most rewarding photographic safaris I have ever seen! It’s hard to imagine such stellar success!

You make shooting mm wildlife appear so simple!

Kudos!

Asher

Paul Iddon

Kind words Asher, thank you.

At the smallest end, they are remarkably challenging to get a photo of, let alone a photo that is sharp and in focus - it usually proves OoF in most attempts.

The spiders are not too bad - those eyes give a good aim point for the lens.

Paul.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Kind words Asher, thank you.

At the smallest end, they are remarkably challenging to get a photo of, let alone a photo that is sharp and in focus - it usually proves OoF in most attempts.

The spiders are not too bad - those eyes give a good aim point for the lens.

Paul.
Remind us of your macro setup for this series including lighting and total number of attempts to get these wonderful ones you share!

That would be most helpful!

Asher

Paul Iddon

I usually do 4 or 5 burst shots of each subject, so maybe 50 shots to do these in the set.

My twin flash has 3D printed diffusers attached to the heads.

20220120_140056-XL.jpg

Paul.