• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Face of Cancer

Chris Calohan

Several months back, one of my dearest friends found out she had one of the most aggressive breast cancers a woman can get, Triple Negative. She's a trooper and has managed a positive outlook. I have yet to see her down, though I know there is a great deal of fear trembling within her. If there is anyone that can beat this terrible disease, it's her.

As to the photos: she wanted nothing photoshopped other than the conversion to B&W and darkening the BG. What you are seeing is exactly who she is at this very minute.

les-1.jpg
les-2.jpg
les3.jpg
les-4.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I wish her all the chances and good fortune of the wisest physicians.

She’s impressive as human and we salute her bravery!

Asher

Chris Calohan

I wish her all the chances and good fortune of the wisest physicians.

She’s impressive as human and we salute her bravery!

Asher
She has her last Chemo treatment tomorrow, then on March 23rd, a double mastectomy w/lymph nodes. It just tears me up inside as she is one of the really good people.

Jerome Marot

I like to say that a portrait does not show a person, but the interaction between the photographer and the model. This is a nice picture of someone you know.

Asher Kelman

I like to say that a portrait does not show a person, but the interaction between the photographer and the model. This is a nice picture of someone you know.
Interesting comment, Jérôme!

It’s likely true, the hard truth, as only the alopecia indicates, perhaps, chemo treatments.

Portraits with a background and a particular type of clothing can suggest the profession and world of the subject.

The World War II photographer, August Sandler, exemplified that skill in his oevre!

Asher

Last edited:

Jerome Marot

I simply meant that the way the person looks at the camera expresses the friendship between her and Chris Calohan.

Jan Steinman

Thank you for posting this.

My wife has recently gone through cancer. She just had her second "clean" three-month scan. Fingers crossed!

Asher Kelman

Thank you for posting this.

My wife has recently gone through cancer. She just had her second "clean" three-month scan. Fingers crossed!
Sorry to hear that she was unfortunate enough to be in that situation.

But great news that she is so far holding her own!

Our blessings and prayers!

Asher

Chris Calohan

Leslie had the surgery as well as the reconstruction. She was in surgery from 9am to midnight. All the labs came back negative for cancer in the breast and lymph nodes. Now the wait begins. 3 months, then 6 months, then a year, then another until she hits the five year mark with no return...this is when thoughts and prayers have impact as opposed to thoughts and prayers for slaughtered children because our legislators won't do their jobs. Thanks to everyone for the kind comments. Leslie and I do have a great connective friendship. I love her as the sister I never had.

Asher Kelman

Leslie had the surgery as well as the reconstruction. She was in surgery from 9am to midnight. All the labs came back negative for cancer in the breast and lymph nodes. Now the wait begins. 3 months, then 6 months, then a year, then another until she hits the five year mark with no return...this is when thoughts and prayers have impact as opposed to thoughts and prayers for slaughtered children because our legislators won't do their jobs. Thanks to everyone for the kind comments. Leslie and I do have a great connective friendship. I love her as the sister I never had.
Not week by week or month by month.

Just reassure her to treasure and fill each day, as if she is cured, as she has every chance of that and death is just not an experience to waste time on when one can enjoy our journey!

Asher