• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

1908 New York to Paris Auto Race

Jim Galli

JeffMahl_RayFowler_30Chevy.jpg

baptism

The fellow in the passenger seat is Jeff Mahl, great grandson of George Schuster who won the New York to Paris auto race in 1908. A few hundred feet from where we made this picture, his great gramps got the 1907 Thomas Flyer automobile so mired in quicksand and muck that they stripped the teeth off the pinion gear. This is in the Nevada desert at the bottom of railroad valley at a place called Twin Springs Ranch. It is 300 miles from Reno, 250 from Las Vegas, 250 from Salt Lake City, and 70 east of Tonopah. So in 1908 terms, the nearest rail connection to get parts is 70 miles. Schuster bought a horse from the local rancher and started for Tonopah. The French, Italian and German teams were in hot persuit so there was no time to lose. Schuster recalled that a Doctor in Tonopah had purchased a 1907 Model 35 Thomas from the factory and his plan was to convince the good Dr. of the dire need. He did and the car entered Tonopah the following evening, March 21st, 1908.

Yesterday, Monday, Nov. 03, 2008 a little group of antique cars and drivers made the trip across the same route in Nevada that had been traveled 100 years ago. We stopped at Twin Springs Ranch to try to locate the exact spot where the car had become mired. In the article I linked to, the first picture is of the car broken down in the quick sand at Twin Springs. I used this photo and Google earth to line up the picture elements and locate the lost placement. Jeff Mahl was thrilled to be standing in the exact location his great gramps had so much muddy trouble in Nevada.

The car in my photograph is Ray Fowler's 1930 Chevrolet speedster. It has made the entire route from Times Square and will get to San Francisco on the 8th Nov.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jim,

This photograph is not only beautiful but is a work of love. The color is great! I guess this is digital on a time? But is it? Did you take more pictures on this trip?

Did you once do a similar repeat of an historical shot, albeit in B&W, in front of a store in the Tonepah high street some time ago?

Asher

Jim Galli

Jim,

This photograph is not only beautiful but is a work of love. The color is great! I guess this is digital on a time? But is it? Did you take more pictures on this trip?

Did you once do a similar repeat of an historical shot, albeit in B&W, in front of a store in the Tonepah high street some time ago?

Asher

Hi Asher, and thanks for looking! Yes, I did more photos on this trip 2 days ago. I used the D200 for the color shots, but I did some "special" images with the 8X10 Kodak and a 24" Petzval lens.

Yes, we re-enacted the original scene done on the day they got to Tonopah, 100 years later. There's a link in the original post that takes you to the Nevada Magazine article about it, and a link in a link takes you back to my website for more images, but here's a shortcut.

I'll post a couple more favorites from Monday.

Mike Shimwell

Hi Jim,

It looks like a new historical document. As Ahser says the colour is great and your sensitivity to subject, to me, suggests a love of the subject and not just the image. My wife has recently suggested that she would like another old car for her next birthday - we sold the last a couple of years ago - and I have to admit I'm all in favour myself.

Mike

Jim Galli

Hi Jim,

It looks like a new historical document. As Ahser says the colour is great and your sensitivity to subject, to me, suggests a love of the subject and not just the image. My wife has recently suggested that she would like another old car for her next birthday - we sold the last a couple of years ago - and I have to admit I'm all in favour myself.

Mike

Something a wife should never never have to ask twice for and something my sweet wife never will. So how is her taste. Jaguar 120 drophead? Or maybe go yankee with a '55 Thunderbird?

Mike Shimwell

Her taste is impeccable!

A favourite is a frogeye sprite (or an E-type), but at present she wants 4 seats and is happy with a roof, so we may look for a Rover P5 or P6 or triumph 2500. A friend also has a Jaguar Mk X - the widest british car, although probably small fry compared to some of the Yankee vehicles (3 syllables?). In truth, the world is our oyster and we will simply see what's nice when the time comes.

I fancy a Jaguar C-type (replica!) but it's some way off, as well as all sorts of oddball stuff from the past, such as Alfa GT juniors etc. My last modern was an MG with a ford v8 in it, that was quite charismatic.

So wait and see, but I'll post some pics when it happens.

Mike