• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

1Ds green cast

rxr717

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, but was recommended to give it a try.

I have a 1Ds and continue to have a green cast in my shots taken outside, whether on the sun or shade setting. Any thoughts.

Brian

David Bostock

The 1Ds original version wasn't as great with the auto white balance as the Mark II. Are you shooting RAW or JPG? If RAW, then you can easily change the white balance in the raw converter. If JPG, your options are a bit more limited...

Don Lashier

Ahh, the infamous green cast. I fixed it by switching to raw immediately after first getting my 1D, but if you shoot jpeg, a number of people have created tone curves you can load into the camera that fix the problem. The 1D curve by Antonio Langana is available from my Canon links page (last link). This curve is for the 1D but I suspect it might work for the 1Ds also??? If not, just create your own (or my advice would be to shoot raw).

Also, I think you'll be happier with AWB outdoors.

Just remembered that Jonathan Wienke has a tone curve fix for the 1Ds available here

- DL

Rob.Martin

Don's 100% here. Digging my memory from way....... way... back, I just switched to RAW on my 1DMk1. My 1Ds Mk1 never had such a cast...... must have been lucky.
Cheers
Rob

rxr717

Canon 1Ds

Thanks guys, I'll look into it. In the situations that I outlined , I did in fact shoot j-pegs. I had to as I shot over 750 shots and even my 4 gig card would have been brought to its knees. Many of the images are being published and the designer is ripped as its the second time I've delivered the green cast shots, requiring him to do a ton of color correction.

Brian

Stan Jirman

I had a serious green cast with my 1Ds JPGs as well. As others, I shot only raw with the 1Ds (raw+S to be precise). Another reason to shoot raw with the 1Ds would be that the in-camera JPG engine is taking way too many shortcuts and even at the best quality settings, the JPGs won't be anything near what a raw converter can do even at default settings. I have found this to be far more true with the 1Ds than with any other digital camera I've ever owned. That will take care of the green cast, as well :)

Eugene Hertoghe

pro member
Strange. Maybe because I bought one of the very last produced 1Ds but I find the jpg's comming straight of the camera much better than those of my 1dmk2. I find the AA filter on the 1dmk2 to strong and colors are somehow a bit muddy (IMHO).
Brian, if you work with the K° setting do you still have the green cast? Can you test it?

Eugene
http://www.eh23.com

Don Lashier

Many folks didn't notice the green cast, and I'm not sure the 1Ds suffered as much as the 1D although there were many reports there also. The first weekend with my 1D tryout I didn't notice the cast either. It wasn't until a couple days later when I switched to raw and compared that it jumped out at me. I think this issue was my first post at RG. The dif is about +7g at the low end of the green curve, easily corrected with a curve (straight) in PS but that's a pain.

The disappointing thing is that Canon never recognized the error dismissing it as a WB issue (which it wasn't). Google 1D green cast and you'll find 51,000 results, less for the 1Ds. I switched to raw within one week of buying my 1D so it became a non-issue and I let it go.

- DL

rxr717

green cast

thanks for repsonding everyone. I'm looking into some of the solutions you've proposed. Regarding using the K setting, do I need to program through the computer, or can I do that in camera? Also, how do you know what setting to use based on time of day?

Also, is there a way to make smaller raw files, as in this situation I had huge a huge amount of photos and would have needed massive space, as well as too much time downloading.

BC

Stan Jirman

You can use the K setting all in-camera. However, I played with it early on when I got the 1Ds, and found it to be too cumbersome to use in real life (I even had a color light meter). It may be great in a studio, but outdoors it's just not practical. Plus, it won't help with the color cast too much.

If you use raw, you solve the problem. As for disk space: a 500GB drive is $250 today (or less). It takes my card reader (Lexar Pro FW) 13 minutes to download a 8GB flash card. I can put 400 1Ds2 raw+S images onto one of these cards, so you should be able to put 800 1Ds raw-only files on one. That makes 100 raw/GB. That makes 50,000 images on one $250 500GB drive. I don't know how much you shoot, but that would last me about 18 months - not too much money if you ask me.