• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

24-105f/4 L Availablity!

Mark Colston

I've had one of these lenses on order for about a month now. (I'm UK based!)

I rang WarehouseExpress again today to try and see if there was any news - to be told that they don't have a clue! Canon won't tell them and apparently are indifferent! Good news is that Nikon are worse!?

I even rang Canon UK and after being told to ring a 0870 number and then listening to the "We at Canon value your custom etc etc" I got though to someone in support who said that if there was no stock after 2weeks or so then a special order would go to Japan to get more made. I then told him that I had been waiting a month already. He had no answer to that! I then said that WarehouseExpress had some 240 on order - that surprised him as he said only 600 or so had been sold!!

Has anyone got any idea or reason for the delay?

Don Lashier

Mark,

I saw a post somewhere (LL?) that said Canon is way behind on lens production due to greatly increased sales of low end consumer bodies. On top of the that 24-105 appears to be a hot lens. I suspect they have to rotate production lines so once it comes the 24-105's turn a bunch should hit the shelves.

- DL

Mark Colston

That makes sense - but they must have some idea when production will take place and hence give some idea of deliveries. I can't believe that they don't know!

Sid Jervis

pro member
Mark, it's called managing expectations. If they gave you a date and it slipped, you would not be happy, you may have booked a job on the strength of their date. I understand from a few dealers that 6-8 weeks was being quoted about two weeks ago, I wouldn't expect any real soon.
You could always order from the USA. B&H have stock, the price after shipping, tax and duty is about the same as the UK. Delivery by UPS is 3-5 days.
I do not work for B&H, but I am a happy customer.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s&Q=&sku=397662&is=USA&addedTroughType=search

cheers.

Ray West

Mark,

If you order it from urgalaxie (from Hong Kong - one of our other former colonies), I reckom you could get it on Friday. I've dealt with them before, and absolutely no problems.

BobSmith

I bought one a couple of weeks ago from B&H in New York. They had them in stock and shipped right away. Their site still shows them as "in stock"

Er, I don't wish to sound smug but I just bought one from Jacob's in Oxford Street (for a discount - i.e. a competitive price) and they has at least one more on the shelf plus a display copy. I only rang this morning to check stock and see if they would price match.

I guess I am lucky. The lens will get a proper workout over the next week at the Sunrise Celebration (festival in Somerset starting Thursday).

Mark Colston

I hope it was a good discount - they are quoting £870! Almost £200 more tham WarehouseExpress!

I'll checkout B&H - although the warrentee side would worry me - not that B&H don't have a good rep!

Mark Colston

Must be a good customer! Can't see me getting anything like that sort of discount! I've looked at B&H too - and without any import duty and VAT - its not that bad a price - but put those on top and its not worth the risk!

Ray West

Hi Mark,

If, and when, warehouse express get the lens, do they have to sell it to you at the price quoted?

If you really want one, I can sell that lens at £500.00, but sorry I haven't got any at the moment, I've no idea when they will be available.....

Maybe by then, other suppliers will be at their price. In the meantime, just think about all those wonderful shots you're missing!!!

Best wishes,

Ray

Mark Colston

I have finally been able to obtain one!

Not, though from WarehouseExpress. But from AJPurdy. I happened to be looking on the net on Friday at work, and saw that several sites were listing them as being in stock, however, they were £40 or so more than WHE.

I then came upon AJPurdy and they had them in stock, £2 less than WHE and free delivery!

I then checked WHE for their stock to be advised I should have my order in a month or 2! So I went back to AJPurdy and ordered it. And it arrived first thing yesterday morning. (Saturday) Royal Mail Special delivery.

And the lens is a good as most reports indicate - or it is so far - absoluteley raser sharp - and handholdable at stupid Tv's! 1/15 at 105mm - on my 350D. To be fair its not as sharp as more sensible speeds, but usable non the less.

And the colour and contrast is as good as my 70-200f/4 and better than the 17-40 - and alot sharper than the latter too.