• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

40D sunrise

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is my first sunrise shot with the 40D

That is an impressive picture Ron!

The colors and the silhouettes of families of trees make a great picture. Congrats. These trees diverged hundreds of millions of years ago, perhaps; the deciduos trees so naked and the remnants of the fall. So talk about the early morning and how you came to take the picture and your thoughts. All this, when delivered with the first picture in a thread, really puts us there with you and, if it is shared, is an extra pleasure.

As an example, David Loubser tells of his photography here . He was shooting with his brother in the desert sand dunes. You'd have needed to keep your D40 in an underwater casing!!

Let's see more sunrise pictures.

Asher

BTW, tell us more on that Tamron and why you chose it. Also did you enhance the colors?

Ron Morse

That is an impressive picture Ron!

The colors and the silhouettes of families of trees make a great picture. Congrats. These trees diverged hundreds of millions of years ago, perhaps; the deciduos trees so naked and the remnants of the fall. So talk about the early morning and how you came to take the picture and your thoughts. All this, when delivered with the first picture in a thread, really puts us there with you and, if it is shared, is an extra pleasure.

As an example, David Loubser tells of his photography here . He was shooting with his brother in the desert sand dunes. You'd have needed to keep your D40 in an underwater casing!!

Let's see more sunrise pictures.

Asher

BTW, tell us more on that Tamron and why you chose it. Also did you enhance the colors?

Thank you for the reply Asher.

I get up 7 days a week about an hour before sunrise. My wife goes to the gym before that to workout before work. I wait until daylight to feed the horses. My wife called me at sunrise when she was on her way to work asking if I had looked at the sunrise this morning. She said she had never in her life seen it so orange/red. I had been busy and hadn't noticed it. When I looked I couldn't believe the colors. I grabbed my camera, went out on the lawn, went back and got a CF card for it and hunted for the best place to get a shot.

This shot is almost as it came from the camera, not even levels or curves. After resizeing I ran Nicholas's action at the default 30%. I ran a velvia action at about 20% . The velvia action changed very little. This is almost as it was before with just slightly more pop.

I bought the tamron after reading every review I could find, and looking at everyones opinion about it that I could find on different forums. Almost every one that had it or had used it loved it. It is very sharp and focuses very quickly. F/2.8 all the way. So far I'm very happy.

Their are 2 copies. One made in Japan and 1 made in China. People seem to prefer the Japan copy so that is what I got.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Tamron-17-50mm-f-2.8-XR-Di-II-Lens-Review.aspx