• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

5D+grip - major problems

dhphoto

I was on location today using the 5D & grip with 2 fresh genuine Canon batts when I lost the ability to shoot completely.

The menu was coming on fine so the camera had power but the top lcd just had a battery icon, nothing else - but the icon was showing full battery (both batteries were pretty much full). No aperture wb or other data at all

There was no error message, no err99 just couldn't shoot. I changed lenses but that didn't help then I dropped the grip and went back to one battery and it worked ok again.

I haven't heard of problems with the 5D grip, has anyone had this happen?

David

Daniel Harrison

pro member
Did you try pulling the batteries out and putting them back in again? If so it does sound like you have a faulty unit, and should send it back, or send it in for warranty. Problem is I guess you'll have to work out whether it is the grip or the camera. Also try cleaning the contacts, that may help
Daniel

Tom Yi

I found that when the grip is not tight, that the conncetions between the grip and the camera can be a bit loose and you may have problems. Try making sure that the grip is on tight before each shooting session.

dhphoto

Tom Yi said:
I found that when the grip is not tight, that the conncetions between the grip and the camera can be a bit loose and you may have problems. Try making sure that the grip is on tight before each shooting session.

It was

David

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A reminder to those still using an alias or peudo-identity!

Please send your real name first and last to me for entering as we want to address people by their real names and give credit to real photographers.

This improves the quality and tone of the forum.

Asher

Last edited:

Tom Yi

dhphoto said:
It was

David

Yeah, when I first got started with a 300D, I was very careful with the equipement, so I wouldn't firmly snap the battery door into place and the camera would go dead all of a sudden. That's when I learned about making sure that the battery door is firmly closed on a forum.

The same goes for the grip. At the part of the grip that actually goes into the camera body, where the battery goes, there are several pins that are spring loaded to make contact for camera control. If the screw for the grip in not on snug, you may get some intermittent break in contact of the pins from the grip with the body and get this problem.

Now on my XT, I get anal retentive and always check to make sure the screw is tight before each shooting session.

dhphoto

Kirk Darling said:
Has the problem repeated? Have you been able to recreate it under controlled conditions?

Not yet, but I've been working without the grip since, just in case.

I contacted Canon but got no response at all. It was an odd occurence

Jon P. Ferguson

it's a fact of life

Nearly all grip models for nearly all of the Canon DSLRS have had a spate of problems. There was even a recall of sorts for the 20D grip early on. The majority of problems have been with the mounting screw, not being tight enough. My wifes new 20D had the problem a few weeks back. The XT, 30D, and now the 5D all seem to suffer from the same poor manufacturing defect. It just seems to be a quirk that we all have to live with. A pain, but not a disaster.

dhphoto

Actually, since I first posted that I have had communications confirming that it has happened to others - but interestingly always when using the 17-40 f4L as well.

I now know of three instances amongst three completely different photographers using 5D+grip+17-40

Intriguing huh

David

Tom Yi

Usually a generic "error 99" is given if their is a problem with a lens. Error 99 doesn't always mean a lens problem but it generally does from what I hear. Who knows, Ironically, only lens that has given me problem is the 70-200L f2.8. And I've used Tokina, Tamron, and Sigmas as well.

Jon P. Ferguson

Toms hit on it

I've had similar problems as have many,many others. My 70/200 IS 2.8 is one of my very favorite lenes. It is also the only lens that has caused/given me problems. Each occasion has been traced back to electrical contact failure, either between camera/lens or battery/camera. Sometimes both. Swapping lenses with camera still 'on' is really tempting fate. However, no permenant damage has been done.

Ahh, the joys of photography !

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I don't use a grip on my 5D because for interiors or landscapes I use a tripod and for street and travel I want to cut down on weight. For balance with the 70-200 4.0 for travel, it is reasonable as is. Anyway, the L bracket I use for landscapes and interiors add that little extra anyway for freehand shots too.

The 70-200 2.8IS needs the balance of the 1D series, so that's what I use.

Asher