• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

9880 romance over

Paul Caldwell

Well at least I got my two main jobs printed before the standard old Epson issues came back.

I was lucky wind bids on two large print jobs locally. Both required prints larger than my 7800 would handle. I made the decision to put some of the profits towards a 9880. I considered the 9800, as there were price breaks on it, but based on the marketing literature from Epson, I chose to move forward and get the 9880.

Setup, was perfect and the printer performed wonderfully, running both 2 full rolls of 260 weight Luster and 8 rolls of canvas. I noticed that I had no problems with clogs and started to feel that the "Eight-Channel MicroPiezo® AMC™ Print Head with Ink Repelling Coating Technology" technology might actually be for real.

However it all came to an end tonight. I had two large prints to get out, and used the 260 weight luster. These prints were perfect and I then setup to print a couple of smaller 13 x 19 prints. For these I went to standard Luster cut sheet. To my surprise the first print came out at 2880 x 1440 with pretty harsh banding and colors missing, classic signs of a clog.

I ran the standard nozzle check and sure enough I had multiple nozzles clogged on multiple colors. I had just finished two large prints, with no problems and in the space of 5 minutes, I had developed multiple clogs. The printer had not been turned off or cleaned. It took 4 standard cleaning cycles to get most of the bars to print again on the nozzle check but I also noticed that the clogs were moving from one set of colors to another, something I have always noticed with my older 7600 and 7800.

Net, it looks like the ink resistant technology may just be hype, for sure you can still get clogs with the 9880, but more important, the same old problems that were present with the 7600 and 7800 seem to have moved forward i.e the moving of a clog from one color to another during cleaning.

Printer has been installed about 40 days, and run pretty much every day since install with today being the first problem.

Windows XP sp 2, Printing from Adobe, using mainly stock Epson profiles, however on the canvas prints I used a custom profile and the Epson profile depending on the brand of canvas I used.

Paul Caldwell

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Paul,

That's such a shame! It's as if some coagulation was buildihng up but was kept in balace by the ink still flowing with the big prints. This reminds me of an occulusion of a Coronary Artery LOL!

What does Epson have to say?

Sorry you are paving the way and getting clobbered!

Asher

Eric Hiss

Wow thats weird - just 5mins from good print to bad?

Sorry to hear about your problem, which as a previous epson 4000 and 7600 owner I am all too familiar with.

But do you supposed that perhaps there was fine dust on one of the previous larger sheets that could have clogged the print head?

Paul Caldwell

Hello Eric and Asher,

Asher, your description is a good one. Eric mentions a good point, the issue of trash.

These jobs involved a lot of canvas. I had only printed on canvas a few times before, but these jobs were actually more canvas than Luster. Canvas is very dirty and I was amazed at just how much trash was all around the printer after I finished out a roll. After the first 2 rolls, I started taking the cover off the top of the printer so I could get a better access to clean it.

I feel that this printer was pretty clean, and it's my feeling that pieces of trash as large as the ones that come off the canvas are not going to get up on the print head, instead they are going to drop down on the paper and when the head passes over them, the ink is laid down on top of the piece of trash. When you start to work with the print the trash will come off with the ink on it and then you get a spot. This has always been a problem for me with all my Epson's enough so that I had started trying to clean the paper before I ran it through the printer with pec pads. Pec pads by the way are the only material I have found that will allow you to wipe a Luster print off without scratching the surface. But when I opened the cover of the printer and saw all the trash I realized that I needed to be cleaning the machine more often.

Back to Eric's point, it's interesting to note that the clogs I had definitely moved over the head during the cleaning process. I started with problems in the Vivid magenta got that and then started to have problems in the light black etc. I never did get a totally clean pattern, but got enough of it back to finish the printing I needed to do.

I was hoping that Epson had really done something new to the head with the ink resistant technology to prevent this, but it looks like things are going to be the same. Actually besides the actually physical diff. of having to load the Vivid Magentas there doesn't seem to be any real difference between the 9880 and the older 9800. All the controls are the same. The driver interface is improved IMO.

Paul Caldwell

Andrew Rodney

Had a 3800 since about the day it shipped, no clog issues. I have a 7880 here, a few weeks, no issues. Don't know what to tell you. I've heard the printers like dry (well I'm in Santa Fe, its dry) but then I run a humidifier in the office (I'm usually lucky to get 35-38%). Others say, they like wet. I don't know. I do know, I don't clog up.

Ray West

Hi Paul,

I think the printer will be fine. You have a paper/canvas problem. I expect the cleaning cycle is similar to that in the more humble r1800 - I have experience of clogs with that, which are quite well documented on opf, and that works fine now.

I expect, that in cleaning, ink is squirted through the nozzels, and sucked out the other size. Then it will sort of be scrubbed by a thin rubber blade, then move to the next set of nozzles for more squirt/suck. If you have something like a hair across the nozzles, then that will most likely move around, and could be a real pita to remove. I'm not sure if they have cleaning sheets for your printer, something with little bristles to rub across the head.

I would suggest you make sure the paper is clean, maybe re rolling and use some sort of air knife, if this is a major task for you, or get paper/canvas of better, cleaner quality. The nozzles on your printer are unlikely to ink clog, being of 3.5pl drop size, afaik.

Best wishes,

Ray