• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: A casual shot

Jarmo Juntunen

I know this picture has some issues (noise, stuff poking the sole of her foot) but I like it anyhow (for obvious reasons, of course). Like always with her, I had no say in her pose or location. Which is a good thing, I suppose.

_img1280.jpg

Paul Abbott

To me Jarmo, the issues you mention are not issues at all. This is a good capture, just need to balance those highlights, that's all. What's it look like in B&W? I think it would look great...

I love noise, especially when it looks like grain, or you can embrace it and make it look like grain. :)

Jarmo Juntunen

To me Jarmo, the issues you mention are not issues at all. This is a good capture, just need to balance those highlights, that's all. What's it look like in B&W? I think it would look great...

I love noise, especially when it looks like grain, or you can embrace it and make it look like grain. :)

Thanks Paul! I did consider bw, as well, will probably be looking into that a bit later. I think I'm with you on the grain issue...

Robert Watcher

I agree with Paul, the things that are sticking out to you are really non-issues. The glarey bluey highlights could be toned down a little - but would need to be handled selectively so the pale look remains in the face.

This is one of those scenarios, where by you simply moving your feet to your right just a few inches, would have really made a difference I think. That would have placed her head more centred between the white vertical frames - - - for a better placement - and too, the vertical lines of the wood would not have been in the centre of her head, but more off to the side. Moving to the right those few inches would also have moved the conduit/pipe out the vicinity of the shoe. Thing is that a simple camera movement would not interfere with your need to not direct her, at all.

Those things are just things noticed after the fact and don't really matter. You have a cute pose. Colour works well with the pinks and white I think. I like your photo too.

Sam Hames

I know this picture has some issues (noise, stuff poking the sole of her foot) but I like it anyhow (for obvious reasons, of course). Like always with her, I had no say in her pose or location. Which is a good thing, I suppose.

I think you're overthinking it :)

Sure there's probably lots of things you could do differently both pre and post process, the same as any other image, but does it really matter that much here? I think you've got the core of what you said in bold above captured very well - everything else is just surface details.

Sam

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

_img1280.jpg

Jarmo,

This is an impressive photograph and should be part of your portfolio. This has already air in its nostrils as a work of art!

The only issue I can see is that I'm wondering how high she is off the ground and whether she might fall and hurt herself!

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

Issues ??? Where are they ? Can't see any !!!

Fantastic pose and composition !

Have you ever thought to do a similar work like this one ?

Thank you, Antonio! Well, I was certainly referring to technical aspects that are largely related to low light conditions. But you're right, she is a star! She does that automatically, without even listening to what I say. That's why I really enjoy taking pictures of her, she always looks so natural.

Thank's for the interesting link. I like those pictures. I don't know if a similar project would fit into my family growth documentation oriented work but, on the other hand, why not...

Jarmo Juntunen

Jarmo,

This is an impressive photograph and should be part of your portfolio. This has already air in its nostrils as a work of art!

The only issue I can see is that I'm wondering how high she is off the ground and whether she might fall and hurt herself!

Asher

Thank you Asher, very kind of you! And don't you worry about her, apart from modelling she is the keenest and most skilfull tree climber ever! Sitting like that just a mere 1 m or so from ground is nothing for her :)