• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A digital picture of light and shadows

Cem_Usakligil

Here is one I took this morning. I dare not call my pictures photographs any longer (according to the definition of photography by Maris Rusis here and here). Your C&C is welcome, as usual.

oudenaarde1.jpg

Cheers,

Mike Shimwell

Regardless of the what you call your picture Cem, it remains very beautiful.

'A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.'

Mike

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
ARt

If photography is writing with light on a medium - this qualifies as a photograph.

A beautiful one - unique, well exposed and finished and delightfully pleasing to my senses.

Cem_Usakligil

If photography is writing with light on a medium - this qualifies as a photograph.

A beautiful one - unique, well exposed and finished and delightfully pleasing to my senses.
Hi Kathy,
As usual you see right through me. I confess, this particular picture was shown intentionally ;-)

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Here is one I took this morning. I dare not call my pictures photographs any longer (according to the definition of photography by Maris Rusis here and here). Your C&C is welcome, as usual.

oudenaarde1.jpg

Cheers,

This, Cem, is a perfect setting for the wall mounted figures. Where do the colored projected patterns come from? I like the nightlife mood you have recorded. Still, I must admit my taste for selective emphasis comes to my mind here. I wish such an image would disappear into the background and not be so perfectly focused everywhere. Do you feel sure of how you want this to be at this time?

Asher

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

This, Cem, is a perfect setting for the wall mounted figures. Where do the colored projected patterns come from? I like the nightlife mood you have recorded. Still, I must admit my taste for selective emphasis comes to my mind here. I wish such an image would disappear into the background and not be so perfectly focused everywhere. Do you feel sure of how you want this to be at this time?
Hi Asher,

The colored projected patterns are caused by the rays of lights coming from the leaded glass windows to the top right of the picture, hence the specific choice of this composition. There is a semi-transparent curtain/fabric hanging in front of the window which diffuses the light and causes a nice duplication of the leaded glass patterns on the fabric itself.

Since this image is taken with a 17mm, it is pretty much impossible to have a shallow dof. Besides, I wanted to have the window & the curtain to be in the focus for the reasons stated above. BTW, it is an exposure blending from 3 bracketed images taken handheld.

I have just taken this picture yesterday so no, I do not yet know how I will want to make it look like in a few months' time from now.

Cheers,

Hi Cem,

I like this curious mix of colors and lights, which give a quite baroque atmosphere... More, this picture is rich of religious symbols and meanings : is this red gate in the background the gate of sin ? ;)

Regards,

Cedric.

ErikJonas

Banned

Cem you can get a variety of definitions of a picture from a variety of experts.In photography contest such as ones put on by National Geographic theres a catagory called snap shots...Not that the above is a snap shot i'm just saying it's a significant enough part of PHOTOGRAPHY that its recognized by National Geographic and other photography contest...It does NOT have to be art to be photography...

I think, which is just me and i dont count for much but i like the picture right up to the end of the purplish wall...I'd of cropped off the rest. Very interesting how the light is on the wall....Nice image,very nice....

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Erik,

Thanks a lot for your kind comments.
..The colored projected patterns are caused by the rays of lights coming from the leaded glass windows to the top right of the picture, hence the specific choice of this composition. There is a semi-transparent curtain/fabric hanging in front of the window which diffuses the light and causes a nice duplication of the leaded glass patterns on the fabric itself...

...I think, which is just me and i dont count for much but i like the picture right up to the end of the purplish wall...I'd of cropped off the rest. Very interesting how the light is on the wall.......
Interesting idea of the crop and it deserves consideration, certainly! But as I mentioned in the quoted text above, the composition would cease being what I've meant it to be if I'd cropped the rest.

Cem you can get a variety of definitions of a picture from a variety of experts.In photography contest such as ones put on by National Geographic theres a catagory called snap shots...Not that the above is a snap shot i'm just saying it's a significant enough part of PHOTOGRAPHY that its recognized by National Geographic and other photography contest...It does NOT have to be art to be photography......
Ah I see that you may have missed my silly sarcasm about what constitutes a photograph in relation to the threads I have referred to at the top :)

Cheers,

I wish such an image would disappear into the background and not be so perfectly focused everywhere. Do you feel sure of how you want this to be at this time?

To me, the fascinating part is that the windows in the background are (relatively) focused, and the projected light patterns on the foreground are defocused, yet the foreground itself is also in focus. Although I understand it, it (subconsciously) rocks my senses.

Bart

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cem,

I like this curious mix of colors and lights, which give a quite baroque atmosphere... More, this picture is rich of religious symbols and meanings : is this red gate in the background the gate of sin ? ;)

Regards,

Cedric.
Hi Cedric,

Sorry I must have missed this comment of yours. This was shot in a baroque building so I am glad that this limited cross section in the picture still retains that atmosphere. The red gate was not a gate of sin, I went through it and nothing has happened which I can recollect, lol :)

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

To me, the fascinating part is that the windows in the background are (relatively) focused, and the projected light patterns on the foreground are defocused, yet the foreground itself is also in focus. Although I understand it, it (subconsciously) rocks my senses.

Bart
Hi Bart,

That defocusing effect of the windows is caused by the transparent fabric hanging in front of the windows. And the effect you've described is, again, the reason of existence for this particular composition.

Cheers,