• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Doug Kerr

We always have families of doves (I don't know what species) around our home here in Alamogordo, N.M.. Today I was out in front, getting ready to do some shooting with my new EOS M50, when a pair of doves (I think I spooked them from their home in one of our palm trees) flew out. One went some distance, but the other lit (!) on the street lamp at the corner of our property.

Douglas A. Kerr, A dove alight

Canon EOS M50, EF-M 18-150 mm f/3.5-6.3 at 150 mm (240 mm full-frame 35 mm equivalent),
ISO 100, f/7.1/ 1/331 sec.

46% x 61% crop​

This street lamp is a modern successor to the "sodium vapor" lamps, and like them has an output spectrum concentrated in the yellow. It also has almost no output above the horizontal. All this is part of Alamogordo's "quiet skies" doctrine, intended to keep the sky free of stray light to avoid interference with the various observatories in the region (and amateur astronomy activities as well).

Best regards,

Doug

Last edited:

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Nice dove, Doug.
So glad you got your tags sorted.
Nice light.
The council here has moved to LED with solar power. Even the traffic lights.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Doug,

I'm impressed threefold!

• The reach of you camera
  • You're still very aware of your surroundings
  • You're sense of humor its intact t too!

We all should remain as fortunate!

Asher

Doug Kerr: A Dove Alight!