• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A few NYE shots

Nolan Sinclair

So I treated my wife and her best friend to a few evenings in a hotel over New Years and below are a few of the pictures from the party we went to that I think turned out well. I was pleasantly surprised that my Ricoh GR, a camera that I've generally been on again, off again with, finally clicked with me.

Any comments or critique would be greatly appreciated!

For the first time ever I felt really comfortable with the 28mm (E)FOV, no one noticed the flash going off (which I had dialed waaaay down) and I was able to pocket the thing when I had to.

Some resizing and whatnot, but they're more or less right out of the camera.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nolan,

Tell me, how responsive is the Ricoh shutter? Do you feel it is sufficiently fast to catch "the moment"? Also how do you like the flash and what settings do you use? I'm testing the GX200 so I'd like to know how these cameras tend to work.

Asher

Nolan Sinclair

Asher,

According to DPR, from half press the shutter lag is something like 0.03 seconds if the LCD is off. I keep a 28/35mm Voigtlander mini finder on mine all the time. There's the autofocus lag, but from the half press it's very responsive. The GR drives me nuts, but I've never cursed at it for shutter lag. Capturing the moment shouldn't be a problem once you're familiar with the camera's behavior or set everything manually.

I can only speak to my experience with my GR, but I have my E/V set to -0.3 and the flash set to -0.7 until I looked at the above pics and dialed it down to -1. Until Ricoh issued the firmware update for the GR that allowed for flash compensation, I really didn't bother with the flash at all because it tended to overexpose everything I took a shot of. In fact if I recall correctly when I got around to updating the camera, I was so excited to use the flash I took a picture of my dogs with the sun in the camera and it turned out great... and then I don't think I really bothered with it again until New Years. I'm shooting .jpg, but only because the camera has no RAW buffer and I'm using the in camera B&W setting. I almost always shoot in program mode.

I'm not really a flash kind of guy; until I took these pictures I was of the opinion that flash ruined the atmosphere, but then again another strobe going off in those surroundings isn't something that's going to be noticed and it definitely helped isolate the girls at the bar.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
So, Nolan,

Once you get used to the Ricoh and are focused, it's pretty instantaneous? What about deleting images? How long does it take to delete one picture?

Asher

I like the energy as well. It looks like a fun time was had by all and no matter which one happens to be your lovely wife, you are extremely fortunate.
James