• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Warning: and are NSFW. Threads may start of as text only but then pictures could be added as part of a discussion or to make some point. This is not for family viewing without a parent's consent and supervision. If you are under age 18, please do not use this section
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: A Game of Chess!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

"He has tanks in Ukraine, jet
fighters in Syria, and Barack
Obama in the White House."

Garry Kasparov on Putin...
OUCH!

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

"He has tanks in Ukraine, jet
fighters in Syria, and Barack
Obama in the White House."

-Garry Kasparov​

Piffle!

I'll get this soon (but misspelled and with other gratuitous changes and an inaccurate citation) from my right-wing ex brother-in-law, who will get it in that condition from what I call the "Cajun news wire".

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Which of the statements are not fact?

I don't believe I said any of those "statements" (I think only one statement was quoted) were not facts.

I have to charitably take the part that Putin "has" Obama in the White house to be in the sense that Obama being in the White house is part of the actual environment in which Putin must operate (as when I say, "And of course I have the new letter carrier here").

Editorial note: I only posted this because you asked me a direct question.
Otherwise I am done with this sort of thing here. It is too dangerous, and without profit.​

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

I don't believe I said any of those "statements" (I think only one statement was quoted) were not facts.

I have to charitably take the part that Putin "has" Obama in the White house to be in the sense that Obama being in the White house is part of the actual environment in which Putin must operate.....

Better stated as

Putin "has" Obama in the White house to be in the sense that Obama being in the White house is part of the actually environment in which Putin is "free", to operate

After all, Putin, according to several news sources, has already started to bomb non-ISIS targets today. That demonstrates he is just using "a common war on terrorists" to actual bomb into submission the Syrian strongman's state enemies, who we are supposed to be supporting!

Obama has acted with childish aquiessence to Putin's aggressive moves.

I thought Kasparov summed it up succinctly. Now is it that you have no respect for Kasperoff, he's a hater of us or something like that. I only know him as a chess champion, a leader of an apparently charitable international organization on "Human Rights" and for taking on IBM's "Blue" in a chess game. If he's a U.S. hater, I am not yet aware of it.

So I don't understand your reluctance to commend Kasperov's brilliant quip as being a most apt summary of Putin's dealings with Obama.

Asher

Last edited:

Jerome Marot

I would think that the situation in the middle east is a bit more complex than a game of chess. Maybe Mr. Kasparov is not the best person to comment on it.

Asher Kelman

Let me simply state, in case folk don't follow the foreign news, most of the 200,000 deaths in Syria have nothing to do with ISIS and are the direct intentional attacks by Assad's Alawite forces on his own Syrian people, mostly Sunnis who oppose him. Since attacks by poison gases and explosives have mostly come from the air or by infantry supported from the air, the oft requested "No fly zone" within the power of the USA would have stopped almost all of this civilian slaughter and the displacement of some 10-11 million human beings!

Europe will pay the price, as not all the flow of folk to Europe are going to leave behind their pain!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I would think that the situation in the middle east is a bit more complex than a game of chess. Maybe Mr. Kasparov is not the best person to comment on it.

You are right!

............but perhaps some disparate voices will get the worlds leaders to stop kicking this fireball down the road!

Taking in a million refugees and providing military or food aid will not replace statesmen intervening at the source. All one is doing is moving wounded unhealed families to a new place, together with their resentments and unresolved pain.

We have Syrian opposition groups supported by Turkey, the Gulf States, the USA and there is acceptance of the practice even of financing the most extreme fanatic Islamists, as long as the one hated Assad is defeated!

Asher

Jerome Marot

We have Syrian opposition groups supported by Turkey, the Gulf States, the USA and there is acceptance of the practice even of financing the most extreme fanatic Islamists, as long as the one hated Assad is defeated!

Historically, there appear to be a long-standing tradition of financing religious fanatics in that part of the world.

Historically, wars have rarely been waged for no reason. Quite often these reasons are linked to geography. Let me thus try a simple exercise in geography. This is the list of countries bordering Europe, either on the other side of the mediterranean sea or directly on the eastern front:

Morocco, Algeria, Libia, Egypt, Israel, Libanon, Syria, Turkey, Ukraine, Belarus, Russia.

Which ones of these countries have been in a sudden state of civil war in the past few years?

Asher Kelman

Historically, there appear to be a long-standing tradition of financing religious fanatics in that part of the world.

Historically, wars have rarely been waged for no reason. Quite often these reasons are linked to geography. Let me thus try a simple exercise in geography. This is the list of countries bordering Europe, either on the other side of the mediterranean sea or directly on the eastern front:

Morocco, Algeria, Libia, Egypt, Israel, Libanon, Syria, Turkey, Ukraine, Belarus, Russia.

Which ones of these countries have been in a sudden state of civil war in the past few years?

Geography is a paintbrush here for religion. These spasmodic wars are mostly religious in their motivation and alliances!

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

The Kremlin has sold the Russian intervention in the Syrian crisis as"an inevitable step to put an end to ISIS" and a step that needed to be taken by the Russians as a result of the failure of the West (which in Russin rhetorics equals to the US) to achieve their goals. Putin asked the Duma the right to use Russian military not in Syria, not against Isis, not as a reply to Assad's plead for help, but simply "abroad". The Duma granted him this right and set no time or geography limitations for military actions. Will we be seeing attacs to Iraq soon?

Asher Kelman

The Kremlin has sold the Russian intervention in the Syrian crisis as"an inevitable step to put an end to ISIS" and a step that needed to be taken by the Russians as a result of the failure of the West (which in Russin rhetorics equals to the US) to achieve their goals. Putin asked the Duma the right to use Russian military not in Syria, not against Isis, not as a reply to Assad's plead for help, but simply "abroad". The Duma granted him this right and set no time or geography limitations for military actions. Will we be seeing attacs to Iraq soon?
The "authorization" from the Duma was only a boisterous flourish in the face of Obama! Putin needed no such backing, his popularity is so high!

His goal is to protect his ally's tiny Alawite residual slice in Syria and thus his military naval base in Tartus, Russia's only warm water port in the Mediterranean, oppose U.S. Foreign policy, force the U.S. Negotiate with him as an equal, act as THE new superpower in the Middle East, have the Chechens fighting in Syria killed there, (instead of returning home as terrorist leaders), but using Hezbollah and Iranian mercenaries as "canon fodder" to avoid the historical "Afghanistan cost" of Russian boots on the ground fighting islamics in A prolonged bloody civil war. That's a pretty damn good chess move....... As long as his opponent sticks to his old moves of simply stubbornly not changing his game under pressure!

Asher