• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A Home Made Soft Focus lens for 8X10

Jim Galli

Yesterday a co-worker had an old Korean War spotting scope torn down for cleaning. We still use them in our tracking telescopes. This one was from an old hand tracker that the US Navy used for aiming the ships guns. Anyways the main optic was nasty from being stored in the weather for 55 years. He had a new old stock glass to install and was going to pitch the old one. It looked for all the world like a landscape meniscus to me, so I dug it out of the trash and put it in my pocket. I held a ground glass behind it in a darkened room and looking out of doors I determined that it was about 375mm f5. Very usable for LF. After everyone went home I went down to where the ABS pipe fittings are kept and discovered it would almost fit in the small end of a 3" male adapter. I chucked the ABS in a lathe and removed material until my glass would fit nicely. I cleaned up the rest so it didn't look like waste pipe fittings. This morning at home I discovered the 3" IP thread would just start in a 14" Cooke flange. I mounted that puppy on the old Kodak 2D 6.5X8.5 and made some pictures in the garden this AM. Here's the first fruit.

SnappyCarsandFastBoatsS.jpg

snappy cars and fast boats

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Yesterday a co-worker had an old Korean War spotting scope torn down for cleaning. We still use them in our tracking telescopes. This one was from an old hand tracker that the US Navy used for aiming the ships guns. Anyways the main optic was nasty from being stored in the weather for 55 years. He had a new old stock glass to install and was going to pitch the old one. It looked for all the world like a landscape meniscus to me, so I dug it out of the trash and put it in my pocket. I held a ground glass behind it in a darkened room and looking out of doors I determined that it was about 375mm f5. Very usable for LF. After everyone went home I went down to where the ABS pipe fittings are kept and discovered it would almost fit in the small end of a 3" male adapter. I chucked the ABS in a lathe and removed material until my glass would fit nicely. I cleaned up the rest so it didn't look like waste pipe fittings. This morning at home I discovered the 3" IP thread would just start in a 14" Cooke flange. I mounted that puppy on the old Kodak 2D 6.5X8.5 and made some pictures in the garden this AM. Here's the first fruit.

SnappyCarsandFastBoatsS.jpg

snappy cars and fast boats

Jim,

What a delight! That's a very agreeable peripheral blur. Looks like another PVC pipe lens feat is in the history books! Now I'd love to see portrait with it! Perfect aperture!

Asher

Jim Galli

Thanks Asher.

In fact I may just do that. On Aug. 2 my plan is to show up at our local "farmers market" with the 8X10 studio camera and hang out a shingle to do impromptu portraits. I'll have some different lens choices for different looks. This one is a contender. The sharp area is beautiful and pulls the eye perfectly to the zone of choice.

Here's another sample;

PamsLittleGardenS.jpg

pam's little garden

Asher Kelman

Thanks Asher.

In fact I may just do that. On Aug. 2 my plan is to show up at our local "farmers market" with the 8X10 studio camera and hang out a shingle to do impromptu portraits. I'll have some different lens choices for different looks. This one is a contender. The sharp area is beautiful and pulls the eye perfectly to the zone of choice.

Here's another sample;

PamsLittleGardenS.jpg

pam's little garden

Jim,

I hope you charge them! That's such a wonderful opportunity for the folks there! Will you also have some of your prints up in display? This is so interesting! If you didn't know hte identity of the lens, what would you think it might be?

Asher

Jim Galli

Jim,

I hope you charge them! That's such a wonderful opportunity for the folks there! Will you also have some of your prints up in display? This is so interesting! If you didn't know hte identity of the lens, what would you think it might be?

Asher

Yes, I plan to charge. Maybe $55. I don't want to do hundreds. 7 - 10 would be a lot of work for me. The money is secondary. It'll be fun.

The lens itself is easily identified and also common. It's an achromatic meniscus. A 'crown' positive and a 'flint' negative cemented together that solves the chromatic aberations. All the colors land in a common plane with these. All of the old landscape meniscii used these. Stopped well down it would be quite sharp. The 305mm and 405mm Kodak Portrait Ektar's were identical to this lens. And the front element of any Petzval type is also identical in formula.

Asher Kelman

Yes, I plan to charge. Maybe $55. I don't want to do hundreds. 7 - 10 would be a lot of work for me. The money is secondary. It'll be fun.

Sounds great! That's a great way to get a fantastic portrait if anyone is in the area! Tonopah seems to be located about 150 miles from any big town. It has an old airport with two runways and I'm not sure about a railway station!

The lens itself is easily identified and also common. It's an achromatic meniscus. A 'crown' positive and a 'flint' negative cemented together that solves the chromatic aberations. All the colors land in a common plane with these. All of the old landscape meniscii used these. Stopped well down it would be quite sharp. The 305mm and 405mm Kodak Portrait Ektar's were identical to this lens. And the front element of any Petzval type is also identical in formula.

I am in danger of becoming addicted!

Asher