• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: A Tulip -- kind of a street shot

Michael Nagel

Normally this kind of photo is done in a studio with careful lighting and choice of background. Here it is different. Somebody sat in front of the Tulip and I took advantage of the situation.

Best regards,
Michael

Chris Calohan

This needs to be clicked on to get it into flickr and there clicked on again to see it on black screen to be fully appreciated. This version only give it half its due.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Normally this kind of photo is done in a studio with careful lighting and choice of background. Here it is different. Somebody sat in front of the Tulip and I took advantage of the situation.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael,

The picture is really well set in the velvet blackness, like a fine pendant in a jewelry store. Agreed we need options for b.g.

Asher

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi Michael,

why studio? I do that at home with a piece of thick black paper between the flower and a window ... :)
just like this one:

And somewhat "au contraire" I got this one

p371689311-4.jpg

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Studio sounds good, Wolfgang. In Australia we have sheds. Same thing. A studio is for wankers with white suits and Panama hats. A shed is for real blokes in dirty jeans and an AC DC t-shirt. In a shed you have a piece of black cardboard and a window. In a studio you have a backdrop and a strobe.

Some days I wish we had spring. Thanks for giving me a taste, both of you.

Michael Nagel

Well, I have neither studio nor shed - I photograph things and people like I find them. Do I need a cliché for that? No. I can live quite well without this.

Spring would indeed be good - winter is still fighting back here.

Sam Hames

Best regards,
Michael

I'm really enjoying this one. Interesting things like this happen all the time and I'm just not prepared to notice them. Bravo.

Sam

Michael Nagel

Sam,

thanks - unfortunately I still miss a lot of these situations.
Here I had the occasion for two photos without being noticed (the fact that my DSLR is relatively silent helped) before walking away.

For me this is another example of: The best photos are taken with the camera you carry with you.

Best regards,
Michael

Jarmo Juntunen

Cheers Michael, this does give me hope. We still have -15 during the nights and the streets are way too icy to leave the house... You did nice with this shot, very simple, well spotted.

Robert Watcher

I like the little bits of tonality and texture coming through from the woman's shirt and belt buckle (presuming it's a woman anyway) - - - even more interesting than using a solid black backdrop that has been done a million times. Shooting the back of the tulip provides a different perspective as well.

-------

Jonny Carroll

This needs to be clicked on to get it into flickr and there clicked on again to see it on black screen to be fully appreciated. This version only give it half its due.

I agree! It is infinitely more beautiful when you look at the whole image, because it isn't on pure black (you can see breaks in the shadows). BRAVO!

Michael Nagel

Jarmo,

Thanks - winter is still fighting back here - a few days ago temperatures dropped again and we had snow. This morning we had -5°C, but temperatures will turn positive by tomorrow if the forecast is right.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

Robert,

thanks - you are right, it was a woman sitting behind the tulip. The structure of the petals was among the things that attracted me.

Best regards,
Michael