• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A Visitor From France

Steven Sinski

1/16th scale bronze made from the Bartholdi's original plaster model of "Liberty Enlightening The World" spending the week around her larger sister before being moved to the French Embassy in Washington DC. this one at Ellis Island.

_DS66248_DxO-X3.jpg
_DS66415_DxO copy-X3.jpg
_DS66464_DxO-X2.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Steven,

I am so grateful to see the statue when I return to the USA or visiting NY!

It’s an amazing symbol and gift from the land that, (through the bloody annealing process of the Revolution), defined inalienable rights of each human as a citizen.

[The latter concept of “citizenship”, allowed me as a Jew, for example to claim equal standing before the courts irrespective of local religious doctrine. That spread of the rights of diverse people was realized ONLY through the force and personal will of Napoleon in the territories his soldiers overwhelmed and introduced French values!]

But full power of these French gifts of art and symbology only fully bloomed when Emma Lazarus’s penned her now famous poem!

This made the statue into a universally recognized standard for the promise of open opportunity to those striving for freedom and an open chance in life!

Your brilliance is actually delivering the 1/16 model to our pages in time! It brightens my day!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I write from my heart!

We were sustained during the war by flour, milk powder, egg powder and raisins from giant brown paper bags with the magical words. “Gift of the People of the United States of America”!

Like Napoleon, America’s morality is both complex and controversial, but no country has shown such practical realization for the rights and dreams of the individual, worldwide as the USA!

Also, no symbol comes close to representing an unconditional welcome to the stranger wanting a new start in life!

Asher

Asher Kelman

where i agree with you we could use a refresher course from the lady after the past few years. as i have said freedom is directly attached to responsibility of all those who claim it.

it has been politicized already in the Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ente...288c96-d77f-11eb-bb9e-70fda8c37057_story.html
A good point by both you and the Newspaper!

But why as, after all, I am so enthralled by Lady Liberty?

Steven, my view: In any honest and thorough committee discussion, we always recognize the value of a protagonist and a foil against which to do battle, the antagonist. But we also need to have the contagonist who feels we should be discussing the incoming asteroid or anything else imminent or more pressing, while the cynic attacks the standing authority and relevance of such a debate under these circumstances, no matter what!

In the end, if I have listened, whether I want it or not, my brain will be chiseling and adding to my concept so refining my judgement!

Asher