• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A walk in the field - Setubal, Portugal

Antonio Correia

118505707-M.jpg
118509034-M.jpg
118506572-M.jpg
118505270-M.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Antonio,

I'm a fan of your pictures! Could you help us by writing something about the context of these images and how they relate to each other and what you want us to do:

Edit, crop, comments be a critic?

We need some guidance and do you need all the pictures from this set to make your point?

These are just impartial questions. Kind wishes,

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I agree Jörgen !

Unless one is planning to combine them or else if perhaps there is another context we don't know about yet which brings them together?

It is a walk. So I guess different things get noticed.

Asher

Antonio Correia

Asher Kelman said:
Hi Antonio,

I'm a fan of your pictures! Could you help us by writing something about the context of these images and how they relate to each other and what you want us to do:

Edit, crop, comments be a critic?

We need some guidance and do you need all the pictures from this set to make your point?

These are just impartial questions. Kind wishes,

Asher

Asher. Your comments are always very flattering. Thank you. As a matter of fact the cat's photos belonged to this walk in the field. :) They had a context after all.
But do all the pictures must have a context ?

I was walking in the field with my wife and I was taking the camera with me - obvious, one can see that - and as we walked I shot. May be 30/40 pics.
I was carrying the 20D with the 16-35 and the 430 EX attached.
I am worried about the correct use of the flash, and I decided to use more often and read a bit more.

Then, with what I know already, I shot those and other pictures.
When I shoot I just look and see that I can get something out of there.
My experience proves that in the computer I can enhance those pictures with some treatment and with the correct crop.
Often I keep in mind the rule of the thirds, but - more often - I trust my feeling and go.

Most of the times in my life I tell no lies. I tell the truth. But life taught (to teach) us all that sometimes we have to omit the truth.
But not here. I can be sincere with you. You are very far away... :)

As you may know I have been Architect for 28 years and - may be - that experience gave me some practice on viewing things a different way. Also, I was doing photography when I was young, at the age of 14/15. I do remember to use the Rolleicord or the Pentax later on.

So, to me, photography is just a way of expression where I put my eye. :)
Don't take this statements as presumptions because I am suppose to be a simple man.
Of course I like good stuff, to travel, etc... :)

Now, let's go back to the pictures as this is no confessionary and there I have never been or will be!

The 1.st picture was shot with flash. To be honest I don't remember if it was bounced or not but I dare say it was not bounced.
118505707-Th.jpg
which EXIF is: Model: Canon EOS 20D Size: 3661x2480
Bytes: 5432634 Aperture: f/6.3
ISO: 200 Focal Length: 32mm Exposure Time: 0.0031s (1/320)
Flash: Flash fired, compulsory flash mode, red-eye reduction mode
Exposure Program: Manual Exposure Bias: 0
Exposure Mode: 1 White Balance: auto
ColorSpace: sRGB

The second picture is a fig tree in winter. If you watch it carefully you will notice at the left corner a black electric cable.
I shoot quite some times this kind of picture (do I?) :)
118509034-Th.jpg
EXIF: Model: Canon EOS 20D
Size: 3661x2480
Bytes: 2683270 Aperture: f/3.2
ISO: 200 Focal Length: 24mm Exposure Time: 1/2500
Exposure Program: Manual
Exposure Bias: 0 Exposure Mode: 1 White Balance: auto

118506572-Th.jpg

Size: 3661x2480 Bytes: 3800671 Aperture: f/3.2
ISO: 200 Focal Length: 51mm Exposure Time: 1/800 Flash: Flash fired, compulsory flash mode, red-eye reduction mode
Exposure Program: Manual Exposure Bias:0 Exposure Mode: 1
White Balance: auto

and the last one
118505270-Th.jpg
which EXIF goes like this: Model: Canon EOS 20D Size: 3661x2480 Bytes: 5684253
Aperture: f/10.0 ISO: 200 Focal Length: 24mm Exposure Time:1/250 Flash: Flash fired, compulsory flash mode, red-eye reduction mode
Exposure Program: Aperture priority Exposure Bias: 0
Exposure Mode: 0 White Balance: auto

I have learned that with digital we have to shoot 3 times more. May be 4 times more.
Yesterday at the night shots I was doing 3 shots in a row because I was handholding at very low speeds and the best shot could be the middle one.
The 1.st is for the finger down and the 3.ed for the finger up. The middle one the finger doesn't move. Stop breading, legs apart, stay steel. (or steal? You may laugh of my English. I give you permission :))

What else can I tell ?
You are free - and I thank you - to comment critique, suggest. But don't tell me to go away :) !!...
Give me tips.
Oh. I have one -
Having changed ISO, switching off Auto-Focus or something else never forget to re-position your setting.
It happened to me to make mistakes without wanting. GGRRRRRRR.....

Be Healthy, people !

Erik DeBill

Antonio Correia said:
The second picture is a fig tree in winter. If you watch it carefully you will notice at the left corner a black electric cable.
I shoot quite some times this kind of picture (do I?) :)
118509034-Th.jpg
Size: 3661x2480
Bytes: 2683270 Aperture: f/3.2
ISO: 200 Focal Length: 24mm Exposure Time: 1/2500
Exposure Program: Manual
Exposure Bias: 0 Exposure Mode: 1 White Balance: auto

I thought the 20D wouldn't work with flash faster than 1/250th. Could that have been the exposure?

The 1.st is for the finger down and the 3.ed for the finger up. The middle one the finger doesn't move. Stop breading, legs apart, stay steel. (or steal? You may laugh of my English. I give you permission :))

Stop breathing, legs apart, stay still. :)
(unless you're writing in dialect) You're English is quite good - I have no trouble understanding you. It just seemed like an invitation to correct the mild imperfections.

Antonio Correia

Erik DeBill said:
I thought the 20D wouldn't work with flash faster than 1/250th. Could that have been the exposure?

Stop breathing, legs apart, stay still. :)
(unless you're writing in dialect) You're English is quite good - I have no trouble understanding you. It just seemed like an invitation to correct the mild imperfections.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I write with lots of errors and the sentences are not correct. I mean the way they are built.
The exposure is indeed 1/250 for max flash sync on the 20D but I was using slow shutter speed or high speed sync I'm not sure.
I should now which but I don't.
On the other way I suppose that the slow sync allows us to shoot with higher speeds than the highest speed sync.
Have to try again.
:)
Again about my English: I learn languages very easily, or at least I used to. I have only 3 years of English at school but I have been washing up in Stockholm and giving ticket for a night club in Oxford Street when I was young and much more young th
an today yeah (The Beatles)

Much easier to read when the letters are bigger isn't it ?But this light gray/blue I can't change it.

Antonio Correia

Erik DeBill said:
I thought the 20D wouldn't work with flash faster than 1/250th. Could that have been the exposure? Stop breathing, legs apart, stay still. :)
(unless you're writing in dialect) You're English is quite good - I have no trouble understanding you. It just seemed like an invitation to correct the mild imperfections.

Well, I was suspecting of this:

Place the flash on the camera and switch both on.
Manual Mode on the camera.
High Speed Sync on the flash.

There, you can bypass the flash sync speed.
This is the reason why this photo has been shot at higher speed that 1/250s.
It works this way, bounced or not bounced flash.
Well, just a little tip.

can you add something here ?