• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Advice (Nicholas?) or others please?

Theodore Diehl

Hello all,
I need some advice from the pro's on a lens purchase for the Hy6. The question is also complicated by the fact that I cannot try these lenses out because no-one stocks them for comparison, and the AFD version is too new and barely available.

For the Hy6, the 3.5/40 and AFD 2.8/50 are the main wide angle possibilities. Having both is economically not possible for me and useless as well, with only 10mm difference between them. I am so impressed with the 3.5/40 shots by Nicholas; but I always prefer having the possibility of a 2.8 for low lighting with hand-held shots. That said, using 2.8 is lousy for DOF and of course I can see the 3.5/40 works really well with long exposure times and a tripod (thanks Nicholas!). Last complication, but not terribly important is the auto-focus and aperture control via the handgrip on the AFD version.

Any advice appreciated!
Thanks,
Theo

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Theodore
not easy to answer your questions! I can just tell you my findings/feelings…

First of all it all depends of the kind of photos you want to do with this combo.
Be also aware (but I'm sure you're already;-) that when you have such gear (camera and lens) it opens up your mind for different possibilities that you may have not expected! and that's a good point!

If I had the choice today, for the kind of photos I earn my living with, I would go for the AFD 2.8.
You're right saying that 2.8 is tough for DOF, but you get a faster lens…
For interior shots, I don't mind the manual focus (I even prefer manual focus), but for action shots from a chase boat or from an helicopter, the AF is a MUST.
For interior, with such length of lens (40 or 50 mm) with MF, I have to stich, so one or the other isn't a problem… I even guess the result should be even better with the 50 (I do shoot verticals for panos and therefore I often have too much of ceiling/floors)

the aperture control via the handgrip is really easy.
The AF is on center of frame, so you have to point and reframe if needed… AFAIK.

Well these are my first thoughts, some other may have different opinions. Thierry could give you some better tech answers/advise than mine…

Once more theses are my 0,02 cts (of Euro!) and should be kept relatively to my short experience with this combo and my own needs…

Last edited:

Theodore Diehl

Thanks Nicolas!

Hi Nicholas,
You're fast as lightening, as always!
Indeed, the AF function keeps the action possibility open, if needed. I have also read somewhere official on Internet that the new lenses have a better resolution due to higher tolerances in manufacturing.
Thanks very much for sharing your opinions with me!
Cheers,
Theodore

Theodore Diehl

Here is the official Schneider AFD blurb

PS: sorry, just realize that I have "edited" your post, Theo, instead of just "quoting it!

Ciao Theodore,

Please see my answer below: it is a fact that manufacturing tolerances are higher and "should" give you a better lens than the older AF.

BUT, there are cases where those older AF lenses delivered DO reach such a resolution as described: that is simply a sample question and a bit of luck. When it comes to film or sensors with lower density (22 MPx and less), that doesn't really matter, if one has an outstanding lens with max resolution. With sensors of 33 MPx that's another story.

Best regards,
Thierry

THe PQ/PQS part is clear, but for the rest I can't say a thing- surely Bart and Thierry will have something to add :) !
Ciao tutti,
Theodore

Here I am.

Yes, the very first question to ask is WHAT kind of shots do you want to do with this lens.

This being said, I have a slightly different approach, when it comes to AF. For me, when it comes to short focal length lenses, like the 40mm or 50mm, I don't see that much of a need for AF, UNLESS (as said by Nicolas and like it is HIS case) you need it for fast action (e.g. chase boat). Other than such action shots, I really don't see the necessity for AF.

You have already a non neglectful DOF at 3.5, when shooting at infinity, that you can allow yourself to simply set the focus to an average distance which you know to be in your range of shooting, then stop down at about f11 and the DOF created will certainly be there.

As much for AF with short lenses.

Coming to a choice between a 40mm and a 50mm: that's a personal taste and choice. I personally like the 40mm much and it is fast enough, for WHAT I use it.
As for the difference betwen the new AFD lenses and the older lenses for the 6008 serie: the optical design is the same. But it is true that the tolerances are much tighter to cope with the current sensor density. Therfore one can expect that those new AFD are at the very least as good (when one has the chance to have got an outstanding 6008 lens) and in most cases probably a bit better.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Thierry

Thierry ? we need you there!

Theodore Diehl

Additional small differences..

Thanks for the input Thierry,

Something else I just found out:
-The AFD 2.8/50 weighs twice as much (1.5 kilo) as the 3.5/40 (750 gram) !!
-Closest focusing range of the 3.5/40 is 0.4 meter; 2.8/50 is 0.6

Small details, nonetheless: decisions, decisions!
Ciao,
Theo

nicolas claris

Generally, I do prefer to buy my gear at my local store, nice guys, very professional…

And it's always better IMO to see a photo gear shop in the street than one more bank ;-)

But when I needed in a short delay to get a Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS they couldn't provide it so fast so I ordered it at x&x. A brick and mortar shop, but only for New-Yorkers!

That lens wheights nearly 4 kgs plus its carrying Case …

Theodore Diehl

The prices vary pretty wildly across the board...But I think in the end, Internet is the easiest and best in fact. You can forget trying one out: no-one will get a lens in for you just to look at and the dealers I have come across have been disappointing on every level anyway. I know more about the product than they do when I finally enter the store; I think for many serious buyers today it is the same everywhere...
Ciao,
Theo

nicolas claris

Well
at my local store, they lend me a body if I have to send mine to CPS (CPS don't), they lend me lens to try if they have it (I'm still waiting for the "new" Canon 14 mm). They know that if I ask for, I have a real interest and that I'll buy it if I like it…

Most of all they give good advices to amateurs… They also do organize photographic events, melting local pros and amateurs.

They do a lot for photography!
Certainly because this is their living, but also because they are enthusiasts!

When I bought that 500mm out of their shop, beleive me, in a way I felt guilty. For them, for my city…

What will be our world if all shops are virtual, how will we be able to socialize?

Of course Internet shops are of good help for those leaving far away…

BTW x&x in NYC is worth a visit! a complete journey, fascinating!

Theodore Diehl

Hi Nicholas,
Yes, maybe I am a little too negative, but I am always shocked how little service I get even when I am spending a bloody fortune of an investment...
I agree about Internet, but what can one do???
If you have a good location in NYC (I am there every year) then please mail me about that, as I would like to know more. I have been to al the majors in NY, and wasn't deeply impressed.

Don't forget, you are a big-name in this business, no-one there would know me at all :) !
Regards,
Theo

nicolas claris

Hi Theodore

The service you get is of course important, but also take into account the service delivered (not always!) to other customers...

What can we do about Internet? acting upon our beliefs, as for many field in our life of citizen…

The only locaton I've been in NYC is B&H. In another post leonardo has recently said that he had been impressed by the quality of the service of Adorama (I remember it was yesterday or the day before about his new Nikon)…

me a big-name? I hope you're kidding!

Markus Glück

if you need the AF then take 50mm

if it is for handhold ability or wider angle take the 40mm

for me its like a 28mm vs 24mm in 35mm - 4mm focus length difference, huge difference in the finder

CU
Markus