• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

AHRMA Sandia Classic 2005

Aaron Strasburg

A few shots from the American Historic Racing Motorcycle Association Sandia Classic in Albuquerque last year. Fun to watch, not easy to photograph. Lots of opportunities to practice your panning and focusing techniques and learn why the pros use big glass. The roadbike pics are 300mm on a 20D from a pretty good spot on the last corner, and what you see is heavily cropped, so 480mm effective focal length isn't really enough.

_MG_6235.jpg

_MG_6181.jpg

_MG_6166.jpg

(see the gallery if these linked pics aren't working)

As the name suggests these are not modern machines. The roadbikes, at least the ones in these pics, are pretty small by modern standards, but the dirtbikes are big, heavy beasts. I hope to be able to make the event again next month, but still only as a spectator.

A question: is it common to use ND filters to allow a longish shutter speed for panning with a wide aperature? I polarizer might have been a good choice to cut some of the reflections and buy a couple stops. Shoot and learn.

Aaron

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Aaron,

Can one sell these pics to the riders? Would seem that even if the rest of the picture is not perfect, that may be unimportant. Or are there so many long lenses there that there's fun but no money in it?

Asher

Aaron Strasburg

Asher Kelman said:
Aaron,

Can one sell these pics to the riders? Would seem that even if the rest of the picture is not perfect, that may be unimportant. Or are there so many long lenses there that there's fun but no money in it?

Asher
In the two years I've been there I've never seen another "serious" photographer, though there may be some at bigger races. It's likely that one could sell photos to some of the riders, an idea which had not actually occurred to me and I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to begin. Mostly it's great to see and hear the bikes, plus I get to practice some different shooting techniques. If I were to do this seriously I would not really have much choice but to invest in more glass, but for the time being I can't justify it. I've shot some softball games and will have a chance to shoot soccer soon. Same deal, mostly for fun, but the parents (friends of ours) do appreciate it. Feeling like I needed to get shots I could sell would probably take some of the fun away. Being an engineer, though, I do like to get things right.

For now as an amateur I don't have to worry about any of the nonsense that goes along with selling pictures, particularly those with people in them. It's not going to replace my day job, so I play in different areas (landscape, sports, wildlife, a bit of portraiture, and even a concert) to see what I like. Art? Not so much yet. Frustrating? At times, when I can't capture what I think I should be able to. Fun? Yes.