• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

America & Alfred Stieglitz

Jim Galli

AmericaAlfredSteiglitz.jpg

america & alfred stieglitz

Part of the challenge of using an antique lens like the Pinkham Smith Semi Achromat is understanding how to control it and make it give you exactly what you're after, then relinquishing that control and being surprised and amazed at what you get.

That is the case here. A simple set-up. Some antique books leaning against an enormous brass lens. I had partial direct sun lighting through a window and shot it wide open.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Yes, Jim, this is outstanding and serves Stieglitz and America well! There's a wonderful dreamy look. I'm impressed. Now how do we follow?

What is the first book leaning on that huge ? lantern lens?

Asher

Jim Galli

Yes, Jim, this is outstanding and serves Stieglitz and America well! There's a wonderful dreamy look. I'm impressed. Now how do we follow?

What is the first book leaning on that huge ? lantern lens?

Asher

Thanks Asher. The book is Photography Annual 1928 and the lens is a giant Voigtlaender Petzval Portrait of about 21 inch focal length. I printed this last evening with some E1 Azo in Amidol and it takes on an even greater personality in person.

Asher Kelman

..........the lens is a giant Voigtlaender Petzval Portrait of about 21 inch focal length. I printed this last evening with some E1 Azo in Amidol and it takes on an even greater personality in person.

I'm sure the print is impressive. How long more can your supplies last?

What does that lens do? How do you support the thing?

Asher

Jim Galli

I'm sure the print is impressive.

How long more can your supplies last? At the rate I have time to print, hopefully outlast me.

What does that lens do?

JohnColeS.jpg

11X14, window light

How do you support the thing?

AnEquipmentTourDeForce.jpg

like this. Lensboards are 9X9 and 10X10 respectively

Asher

Thanks for asking!

Asher Kelman

It's an interesting extra touch to see the left lens brings the underlying skin into sharp focus. This is a small but important uniqueness to this print which is so soft.

Asher