• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Amicalola Falls, Georgia, USA

Chris Calohan

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The second icon on the lower line of dialog box icons with a set of parallel horizontal lines is where you’ll find that column position marker!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I did (center the image)…

The falls are always impressive, especially when they are well photographed!

Hi always find such complex and impressive falls almost impossible to frame. Each frame can seem justified, but then it also seems incomplete.

The solution can be to shoot extra ultrawide and tall, with overlapping adjacent shots for later stitching)

......and decide the extent of “view” only during building a picture for some purpose.

Asher

Chris Calohan

I wanted to do that Asher, and on more than one occasion gave thought to a hard bump to one to the right, right into the falls, but I gave way to my better sense of civility and shot the best I could get under the circumstances.

Robert Watcher

Hi always find such complex and impressive falls almost impossible to frame. Each frame can seem justified, but then it also seems incomplete.

The solution can be to shoot extra ultrawide and tall, with overlapping adjacent shots for later stitching)

......and decide the extent of “view” only during building a picture for some purpose.

Asher

my slant is quite different than Asher’s suggestion. Stitching is an interesting process, but challenging and time consuming, not really necessary and mostly beneficial for gaining extra megapixels for super large prints - or yes for panoramas, although with fine details in natural scenic’s like this are most beneficial when printed very large (example I had a 360 degree pano print in my kitchen that was 7 or 8 feet long resulting in only about 20 inches height).

a suggestion I may give is to look for ways to add context to the falls. Often rocks, trees, pools are in the foreground and can be used to frame or photograph through. I find considering this, makes framing and composition much easier. Probably even backing away and not have the upward perspective distortion would help. Another cool option is to move in closer or use a longer lens and capture details of the water scattering over the rocks.

You have photographed in a difficult lighting situation and handled it well. Many waterfall shots that I see, have blown out water as a result of not dialing in negative exposure compensation based on the dark surroundings causing the camera meter to want to overexpose. Good job.

Chris Calohan

I only added a +.07 EV for my compensation and slightly underexposed for saturation then futzed with it in PS to lighten and darken as needed. The falls are quite high which does present a difficult distortion issue but the D850 and the lens correction in PS takes care of most of the issues...backing up was not an option unless I wanted to go swimming...and I didn't. Most of my editing was done in Select by Color Range and the red channel with an HSB correction and again in the blue channel for sky work. Thanks for the ideas and comments from you and Asher. I never quit learning with this program.

Asher Kelman

My solution to interest has been to invite 2-3 students to explore and give them pictures as their reward!

They can help schlepping gear and then one has choice of shooting with or without people as extra interest.

If there is no near object, one can swing horizontally approximately around the front of the lens to get either views without any danger of falling.

Same with up and down tilts.

If one is really prepared, one can use a Gigapan Mounted on a tripod shoot the desired sequence!

The advantage is that one can bracket each shot and have superb resolution using a longer lens.

For me, getting to some distant destination at the right season, weather and time of day makes the extra effort worthwhile.

But of course, a wide angle lens or a nice tilt shift is idea for quick work

Asher

Asher Kelman

Chris,

This is just the class of waterfall that I love. It’s tall, has a series of falls, there’s trees and rocks with a lot of churning white water thundering down.

But I admit I would struggle with this and want to somehow pay respect to the trees at the skyline and follow a little further the destination of the water on the lower left so it seems even more “complete”! The latter feeling is personal and what is most difficult for me to achieve.

After all, as one includes more, the details shrink down as the framing gets wider!

The solution, for me is many, many “overlapping” extra shots

As a matter of fact, I regularly do “coverage” for the adjacent milieu. I learned that from cinematographers.

It’s the opposite of “frame tight and crop closer”!

This allows a choice of stitching and creating a fresh compositions, “de novo”, at my whim and leisure.m, without going back to that location!

Back in 2008 I shot such multiple overlapping pictures of a frozen waterfall in Boulder Colorado and stitched them in AutoPano Giga.

I returned when it thawed.

and in another visit in the winter, with free flowing water. Here are the pictures!

Chris Calohan

The walkway I was on and the only place where you can make the shot is metal grids and only four feet wide. Every time someone steps on the grating, the tripod bounces...it was a huge challenge just to get this shot...perhaps later in the day or earlier in the morning with no one else around, I could do a vertical stitch.

Asher Kelman

The walkway I was on and the only place where you can make the shot is metal grids and only four feet wide. Every time someone steps on the grating, the tripod bounces...it was a huge challenge just to get this shot...perhaps later in the day or earlier in the morning with no one else around, I could do a vertical stitch.
You don’t really need a tripod unless you are after the slow shutter style with creamy water!

All my pictures just linked to, (in post #11, above), have been handheld!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Chris,

I am telling you, this is a very challenging photography task! Of course any shot of this is great. What you have done is so impressive, especially considering the lack ofxeasy choices of a safe vantage spot!

The great Niagara and Zimbabwe falls seem to both have been designed for photographers, but alas not this one.

Yes, this is the structure of a waterfall that fascinates me: it’s not earth shattering just a conversation between water and mother earth.

Perhaps a fisheye lens or else a drone or helicopter are more ideal for this very tall and wide scene!

Asher

Chris Calohan

Drones are not allowed in US State Parks. Options are limited to super wide angles or getting there early enough to avoid other touristas.