• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Amongst The smallest things I have photographed...

Paul Iddon

You'll hopefully forgive me the lack of detail in this - but it is as small as anything I have ever photographed I reckon...

Size is less than half the full stop on your keyboard!

Apparently...

This is Arachnida ( Acari - Mites ) - Oribatida - .. and at a glance, one of the -> Humerobatidae like Humerobates...

In English, it's a mite, and is very hard to see - they are a part of the soil diversity - Soil organisms are vitally important to sustaining life on land and are fascinating too!

Uncropped and cropped in each image:

mite_01_full_4k_1400-X3.jpg

mite_01_full_crop_4k_1400-X2.jpg

The following night, I found a few on the garden fence - added pics and a short mobile phone video - these again are Arachnida ( Acari - Mites ) - Oribatida (about 3 or 4 more of them).

mite1full_4k_1400-X3.jpg

mite1crop_4k_1400-X3.jpg

mite2full_4k_1400-X3.jpg

mite2crop_4k_1400-X3.jpg

Paul.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fabulous catch!

Now how come it’s on the floor?

Did it get there by itself?

That would be a human journey of a 1/2 mile or so!

Paul Iddon

I don't know how they get distances, I don't think they have wings so they must just fall off things and get carried short distances by mother nature herself... Either that or they patiently walk everywhere!

Paul.