• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

An ancestor of mine!

Antonio Correia

I was asked to take a picture of a painting representing my grand-grand-grand father. The conditions were not the best but I did the best I could. The painting is hanged in a room of the town hall.
My ancestor was a popular poet more than 100 years ago in Setúbal, his and mine hometown.

i-RzZdL64-X3.jpg

i-X9dFGnV-X3.jpg

Doug Kerr

Hi, Antonio,

Just wondrous.

Which of the figures is your ancestor?

I love the frame with the elaborate shape to match the paintings!

I love the expression on the string player: "Can we get this damned thing over - I have a rehearsal to go to."

Best regards,

Doug

Antonio Correia

Thank you Doug ! :)
My ancestor is the 4.th on the top row with a blind eye.
He was very poor and his job was to caulk the boats in the port. He was born in 1819 and died in 1911.
His name full name was António Maria Eusébio.
The painting is in alarge room in the Town Hall as I mentioned before. It is about 3/4 meter height and is placed between two doors as we can hardly see in the photo.
I couldn't avoid the blues on the bottom right. Shot with the available light with a tripod and "imposing" 640 ISO

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well, Antonio, he may look a bit like you!

Are any of his poems available today in English?

I did a Google “translate”, but it requires a glossary or thesaurus to tackle the Portuguese and Setúbal metaphors about fruits and “fifths”!

Perhaps Luisa could translate for us!

Asher

Asher Kelman

panasqueira

A quinteira da Panasqueira

Mote

Fui apalpar as gamboas
que a quinteira tem na quinta
já tem marmelos maduros
o seu bastardo já pinta.

Glosa

Sou mestre na agricultura
meu saber ninguém disputa
gosto de apalpar a fruta
quando está quase madura...
Gosto do que tem doçura
quero e gosto das mais pessoas
para apalpar coisas boas
da quinta da Panasqueira
com licença da quinteira
fui apalpar as gamboas.

Por toda a parte que andei
dei cambalhotas e saltos
depois de apalpar pêlos altos
pêlos baixos apalpei.
Por toda a parte encontrei
fruta branca e fruta tinta
para que a dona não se sinta
nunca direi mal da boda
apalpei a fruta toda
que a quinteira tem na quinta.

Neste tão lindo arvoredo
não há fruta como a sua
foi criada em boa lua
para amadurecer mais cedo.
Menina, não tenha medo
que os seus frutos estão seguros
ou sejam moles ou duros
todos a têm em estima
na sua quinta de cima
já tem marmelos maduros.

Tem uma árvore escondida
num regato ao pé dum poço
que dá fruta sem caroço
chamada gostos da vida.
Dessa fruta pretendida
que a menina tem na quinta
a menina dê-me um cacho
que na sua quinta de baixo
o seu bastardo já pinta.

Asher Kelman

Seems like the same challenge for me as doing my Latin homework, translating from Caesar in high school!

But I get hints that this is far more sensual!

Cesar never talked about fingering fruit!

Asher

Antonio Correia

It is very difficult to translate such a text. It uses common words to express erotism... it is in fact, pretty fun and amused.
:)
He used to sing fado as well...
i-TpbMsS8-M.jpg

Asher Kelman

That’s why your wife is perfectly the very best person educated in Literature to examine how to read it in English!

That would be a wonderful contribution to scholarship and Portuguese Coastal language metaphors!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I have asked her and doesn't feel to do such a work...
What can I do ? :)
Well, you have a very intelligent and talented wife. Who else comes near her in ability to tackle such a task? Is It because this is somewhat R-rated?

I know my own family in the UK would be simply shocked and appalled by the poetic sensuality. But have you read the “Son of Songs” from the Bible by King Solomon? That is the most erotic beautiful poetry outside of William Shakespeare’s “Sonnets”!

I would imagine a translation into English, Spanish and French would be amazing!

Luisa would be the Jorge Luis Borges of the Península Ibérical!

Iberian Penninsula

Besides, I am now interested in the history and life of your ancestor. This would make a great movie!

But Luisa is so qualified as she adores you and Setúbal anyway and has all the unusually fine skills to deal with the Portuguese language and the barriers and segmentation of society in his lifetime.

What romances, hardships and fight to success did he have. I feel that you are duty-bound to press it.

Why else did they make those photographs to record the people around him for posterity. It’s not an accident! It’s a duty!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Well, I admit to you, Antonio, that I do feel a little extra proud to realize that you, my friend are the descendant of a noted poet!

No one in my family is celebrated with such historical paintings and poems that are so readily found online!

Asher

Asher Kelman

So now, please show, Luisa, your dear and multi-talented and scholarly wife, (a renowned fabulous cook and most and charming generous host), this entire thread!

Perhaps she could assign her students to this fascinating project!

It would make a best selling book with your added photographs!

Asher