• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Aperture with diffraction blur, shutter speed 1/60 sharpening problem!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
James Newman original posted this image in Closeup & Macro here.

DSC_5865-1.jpg

Here's the picture selectively sharpenned with CS2 Unsharp Mask after the shading was dealt with by levels and curves.

DSC_5865-1AK.jpg
Edited 2007 Asher Kelman

While I love the gentle wispy soft look of the flowers, some sharpening is needed as the image is degrade by the shooting conditions.

I was wondering how can we best approach such an image without increase granularity.

What is your best approach?

Asher

Last edited:

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
This is my try, using my action:
- Get rid of black frame (induces halo)
- Highlight/shadow : Shadow; 50-50 Highlight: 0
- Sharpening action: 50 % layer, erased at 50% the layer except on center (yellow pistil)
- flaten layers
- level adjustments
- overall saturation: 10%
- restore black frame
done with not seriously calibrated Powerbook.

DSC_5865-1_NC.jpg

Asher Kelman

Thanks Nicolas,

Your action beats my simpler approach. Kudos once more to my Bordeaux pal!

This is my order of impressions:

1. Michael Unsold's Wavelet Smooth, keeps gentle feeling and adds sufficent sharpness.

2. Nicolas Claris' Sharpening Action: great

3. Adaptive Richardson-Lucy Flower algorithm:too granulat. Probably over applied. May in fact prove to be the very best with further work.

4. Asher's Unsharp Mask: unwanted grain but excellent sharpening in the central portion. I still like this best for the selective use of the tonal changes.

5. Original too soft and poorly defined!

Any other ideas?

Here it's OK to being in any software or math you want to improve the image, but explain for the challenged!

Asher

Last edited:

Michael Fontana

pro member
>Adaptive Richardson-Lucy Flower algorithm:too granulat. Probably over applied. May in fact prove to be the very best with further work.<

Look at hubble for that. It's sort of bringing it back at the sensor levels, and depends much on radius & iterations.

Nicolas:
>, erased at 50% the layer except on center (yellow pistil)<
I like that.

BTW: older dicussion; your action, do you use C1?
I felt your action does works very well with it; meanwhile I didn't felt so much comfortable with other RC's ..

Last edited:

nicolas claris

BTW: older dicussion; your action, do you use C1?
I felt your action does works very well with it; meanwhile I didn't felt so much comfortable with other RC's ..
Bonjour Michael
Yes I mainly use C1 but sometimes LR (I don"t like ACR nor other converters, certainly a question of habit...) but I think this action works nicely on most images, I tried it on old "scans" (scanned files) and it did pretty well.
In fact, the layer produced has to be tweaked accurately and differently for each different file.
Though I include it in all batched slideshows that I produce after each shoot for my clients to make their selection...

Asher Kelman

Nicolas and Michael,

You did not comment on the wavelet conversion. What say you?

Qu'est ce que vous pensez?

Asher

Je voudrais écrire en francais de temps en temps même si je casse et melange le mots! Je ne veux pas oublier tout les mots Francais!

Ray West

For an image like this, a light coloured one, is it possible to sharpen it without messing up the colours? Of the ones shown, Nicolas's version is perhaps the 'nicest', but the centre subtle shading of green/yellow has become more illuminated. For the other versions, I suspect it may be a grain problem that makes those images look dirty, but I prefer James original colours.

Best wishes,

Ray

nicolas claris

I tend to agree with Ray about colours...

So This is my 2nd try, using my action:
- Get rid of black frame (induces halo)
- Highlight/shadow : Shadow; 30-50 Highlight: 0
- Sharpening action: 50 % layer, erased at 50% the layer except on center (yellow pistil)
- flatten layers
- level adjustments
- overall saturation: 0% And always worked on Luminosity layer
- restore black frame
done with calibrated Nec 2180UX

DSC_5865-1_NC2.jpg

nicolas claris

Nicolas and Michael,

You did not comment on the wavelet conversion. What say you?

Qu'est ce que vous pensez?

Asher

Je voudrais écrire en francais de temps en temps même si je casse et melange le mots! Je ne veux pas oublier tout les mots Francais!

Difficult for me to comment, the dark blue background is really disturbing to judge colors and contrasts.
Between the 2, I do prefer the wavelet version though.

Keep going, then you'll maybe forget B&W ! LOL

Ray West

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for showing. That is far, far better. Much smoother, and a tad lighter, which looks fine. Throws a bit more light on the subject. I reckon it is just about right. (and I like the price of your sharpening action ;-)

Best wishes,

Ray

nicolas claris

Thanks Ray!
BTW:
same original file
same PS operator
… it shows the difference when working on a good and calibrated screen versus a standard laptop screen...

BTW2: how did you guess I've doubled the price of my sharpening action ?-)

Asher Kelman

Difficult for me to comment, the dark blue background is really disturbing to judge colors and contrasts.
Between the 2, I do prefer the wavelet version though.

Keep going, then you'll maybe forget B&W ! LOL

Nicolas, try comparing the images with the blue border cropped.

I'm going to get a RAW image so we can do this from the beginning with a great file. Still, I'd value what you think comparing the wavelet to your own expensive sharpenning action.

Asher

nicolas claris

here we are:
Obviously, my workflow did include a general work on tones (though not in B&W;-) so the comparison is difficult...

wavelet_Vs_NC.jpg

Mike Unsold

Sharpen Methods Comparision

Hi,

Perhaps it would be easier to compare methods if only the sharpening mehtod is applied and no additional level or color adjustments.

Asher it appears as if the adaptive Richardson - Lucy example has been post twice once with the correct ARL title and the other as the wavelet example.

Mike

nicolas claris

Hi,

Perhaps it would be easier to compare methods if only the sharpening mehtod is applied and no additional level or color adjustments.

Mike

Bonjour Mike
I agree with you but level adjustment is part of sharpening (inducing more or less contrast). IMHO.

I wanted to give a try to your demo, but it is Windows only and I'm on Mac. <Sigh>

Asher Kelman

Nicolas,

You can use Mike's software in your Macbook Pro under Parallels™.

Mike,

Ooops! My original post above of your ImagePlus processing, now shows the Adaptive Richardson-Lucy Flower algorithm only once and now the Wavelet image too!

Asher