• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Autumn Impressions

Mike Nogle

I took this photo in Seoul, right after seeing an excellent exhibit of Bae Bien-U at the National Museum.

3451zt0.jpg

It is a lot different from his work and, of course, my photo is not worthy of being mentioned in comparison. It is just that I was very impressed by his use of overexposure and the balance of the dark blacks and the overblown whites. This is my first try at bringing these into use in my own photography.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Hello Mike,

I like it. I expect to see the leaves flutter slightly in an eventual breeze if I look at them long enough. It's a view I would expect to see waking up after an October afternoon nap in the park.

More pointedly, however, I like your creative track. Getting beyond your camera's literal nature is a very liberating discovery that can give you a creative outlet for life, regardless of where you are.

May I recommend getting a copy of Saul Leiter's "Early Color" while it's still in (re)print? (You can see some of the prints from this series on Artnet.) These are images that Leiter, a painter, created in the mid/late 1950's when color emulsions were new...and unpredictable...and unstable. These are very expressionistic and impressionistic images that are simply glorious to an eye open to new suggestions.

Keep 'er going, Mike. Keep looking at works (like the Bae Bien-U exhibit ... I wish it was here in Chicago!) and keep using that camera to capture feelings rather than just scenes.

BTW, the little I've seen of Bae Bien-U's work is wonderful. But he, too, stands on shoulders. Some of his b&w imagery, such as of the type you describe for example, would seem to be very influenced by the late Harry Callahan and the former Institute of Design (here in Chicago). So feel free to stand on Bae Bien-U's shoulders!

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Mike,
You'll gain much by following Ken's reading recommendations.
He has a depth and breadth that is amazing.

Ken, I'm either going to become a better photographer because of you, or go broke otherwise!
Your piece in The Online Photographer on Gary Stochl's "On City Streets" ( I purchased it) and the references to Bergman (I found "A Kind of Rapture" amazing) have been so helpful.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Ken, I'm either going to become a better photographer because of you, or go broke otherwise!

Haw. Well don't show up at my doorstep with your camera on your shoulder and your family in tow if you find yourself penurious!

I'm delighted that you've enjoyed these works as I have. Let's see if we can empty Mike's pockets. ;-)

John Angulat

pro member
Haw. Well don't show up at my doorstep with your camera on your shoulder and your family in tow if you find yourself penurious!

Fear not, Ken!
I'd be inclined to auction my relatives before I'd part with my gear.

Do fear however, the sight of a starving, middle-aged, balding man standing alone in your doorway; weighed down very Jacob Marley-esq with books and texts of all manner and type, wailing and clutching a picture taking device...

Mike Nogle

Thanks Ken,

I hope I can keep growing with that creativity in mind. Especially when bringing it into photos of larger scope and different subjects. I did take a look at some of Saul Lieter's photos, and you are right, I like his work a lot. I wish I could afford a big photo book library right now.

John,

Too late! My pockets are already empty because of camera gear!! LOL

Rachel,

I could not think of a better compliment, thanks so much. I hope I don't disappoint to much with my later posts. I am here to learn from you all though, so constructive criticism is very welcome.

Mike Shimwell

Too late! My pockets are already empty because of camera gear!! LOL

There seems to be something about the human condition that means we all (well mostly all) learn this too late! A book can be a relatively inexpensive way to gain inspiration and to stave off gear lust at the same time, provided it opens your eyes to new ways of making pictures and not simply to a 'need' to acquire more gear before you make them...

I have a few go to books and will probably keep adding more. The Saul Leiter book looks like it might make a nice birthday present from my (much) better half.

Actually, looking at our own pictures can be a help too. I looked at a few digitally originated prints earlier and then wandered downstairs and caught sight of a 15 by 10 on the wall shot on HP5 and was struck by its beauty. Not meant as an anti digital comment, before anyone rushes in:), it was just nice reminder that beauty is made by the photographer and not by the kit.

Mike

Mike Nogle

Yes, I know what your are saying about the importance of spending time looking at others photos, especially the great photographers, and also my own. In college I spent countless evenings at the library, and I pretty much had a reserved table right in the middle of the photography section. On many nights I found myself spending more time looking at Cartier Bresson's photos rather than on my school work! My next lens will land me at four lenses, and complete my set for a long time, so there are photography books in my future.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I took this photo in Seoul, right after seeing an excellent exhibit of Bae Bien-U at the National Museum.

3451zt0.jpg

It is a lot different from his work and, of course, my photo is not worthy of being mentioned in comparison. It is just that I was very impressed by his use of overexposure and the balance of the dark blacks and the overblown whites. This is my first try at bringing these into use in my own photography.

Mike,

I just discovered this picture of yours. There's an imminence of movement here. It's the combination of backlighting and the shapes that give rise to this idea that things are about to start.

artwork_images_115950_527250_-baebien-u.jpg

Bae Bien-U: Art Net print available here.​

So what makes these trees dance? The appreciation of lighting is profound in his work. As Ken mentions, these are good shoulders to use.

Asher