• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Barn Owls

Don Ferguson Jr.

First time getting a shot of some Barn Owls. They were in an old tree.
Don

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Don, Isn’t it amazing how it’s face looks like a healed broken branch!

This from a COVID-safe window or you broke quarantine?? 🙀

Asher

Don Ferguson Jr.

Asher, they are out in the country near Upstate Anderson, S.C. I saw maybe two farmers riding by in trucks. LOL Cool creatures.
Don

Peter Dexter

Very nice. Experiments have shown that Barn Owls can pinpoint not only the exact direction but also the exact distance the sound of a mouse is coming from in a pitch black room. Their faces are like parabolic receivers.

Asher Kelman

Very nice. Experiments have shown that Barn Owls can pinpoint not only the exact direction but also the exact distance the sound of a mouse is coming from in a pitch black room. Their faces are like parabolic receivers.

I never knew that! Look like they are parabolic receivers and at the same time that shape fits in with texture of tree!

But from the physics point of view, how does the sound actually get organized and focused? Is that explainable in simplecterms!

If we find an article and it’s too complex Doug Kerr, the engineer could explain it simply!!!

Asher

Don Ferguson Jr.

Thanks, Peter and that is interesting information.
Don

Asher Kelman

It appears that the major advantage owls have, compared to us in hearing, is the asymmetric placement of left and right ears which allows, within 15 minutes, to track and locate in darkness a field mouse or vole.

The do this by uniquely being able to track not only left-right but critically up and down, so their location of the sound source is very efficient.

In addition, white owls have an extra advantage: they stun prey that extra few seconds by reflecting moonlight which
makes the vole or mouse freeze in its tracks, long enough for the owls talons to grab it

But the parabola with view to the sound I cannot find any references, so far!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Don,

People think of eagles being the most powerful, but owls are surprisingly strong. An eagle whacked on the back would be broken. Don’t try that with an owl!

I am so shaken by the obvious similarity of the owl’s face with the scared rim of broken branches!

Such a brilliant disguise, but against whom? What animals in the past would hunt owls? Or is it there daytime protection so mice don’t even imagine they will be there when they go for a late night stroll?

I appreciate so much these wildlife pictures!

Asher