• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Bessa R3M

Sue Butler

Hi All,

I've just bought a Bessa R3M along with 50mm lens. It's not that I don't like digital (I do) but I want to try the rangefinder system as I like reasonably small and inconspicuous rather than big cameras and lenses. I guess I'm looking towards the M8 eventually (if I win lotto) rather than the digital slr system if I like the R3M. I've had a bit of a play over the last day or 2 .....

but I do need some help. How is exposure worked out. I know there's Aperture and Shutter modes but how is the metering worked out. In my digital camera I always used Manual exposure using spot metering.

cheers,
Sue

René Damkot

From this site: "The 9 LEDs at the bottom of the finder indicate over / under exposure in half stop increments over a two stop exposure range. " and "Left to Right, the red LED readout is -2 -1.5 -1 -.5 0 +.5 +1 +1.5 + 2 "

Sue Butler

Thanks for the reply.

I understand about -2 and +2 etc stops in exposure.

What I was trying to find out was whether the camera used partial/centre or spot metering because that will determine how I exposure a picture.

cheers,
Sue

Mike Funnell

Sue,

I think trying out rangefinders via film, first, before committing to an expensive digital RF is probably a wise move. Some like them, some don't (as it happens, I do). Also, film has its virtues (along with its inconveniences and vices) and that's a good thing for me as I really can't justify the big dollars for the M8, while the Epson RD-1 doesn't appeal enough to me (and still isn't cheap).

...Mike