• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!
This is a shot that was done late this summer. At first I was happy with the post processing. But now, the more I look at it the more I second guess myself. Please let me know your thoughts.

6194750235_d7f52a1082.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ruben Alfu

Hi Christina,

Welcome to the forum! I don't see any technical problems with the PP. As you know, the artistic side is not that easy to evaluate. There must be a zillion optional ways to tweak or completely redo the photo, probably a little more contrast would do good but for my taste this photo works pretty good as is.

Regards,

Ruben

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Christina,

Welcome to the forum! I don't see any technical problems with the PP. As you know, the artistic side is not that easy to evaluate. There must be a zillion optional ways to tweak or completely redo the photo, probably a little more contrast would do good but for my taste this photo works pretty good as is.

Regards,

Ruben

I agree with Ruben. It is a lovely portrait. I do not like the old colour picture treatment especially since it is used as a gimmick by many photographers out there. But this is purely a matter of personal taste.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is a shot that was done late this summer. At first I was happy with the post processing. But now, the more I look at it the more I second guess myself. Please let me know your thoughts.

Christina Cericola:Bianca

Christina,

This is almost a watercolor style in its softness and unsaturated colors dipped in saffron. The picture is remarkable for the detail of swirls in the grass going in all directions. Against this almost "Goghian" backdrop, the child's pose in so quiet even ghostly.

Portraits do not have to conform to any standards except to portray the person in some manner important to you or your client. I have no qualms in going against any rule, customs or fashion, However, to get fully behind a picture that is off from what's current or expected, an introduction can be a generous act to help us get on the right wavelength. An artist is never required to explain their every choices. Still, how you got to this style would be interesting.

I would love to know who the child is and the circumstances surrounding the picture.

Asher

The subject is Bianca, she was 10 months old at the time. She had just learned to crawl and was extremely active the entire time except for this small moment where she seemed to take a break from it all.

The effect was just a combination of adjustment layers. Here is the original photo. There was a tiffen 812 filter on the lens to compensate for the overcast daylight.

6767028735_78d515896c.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The subject is Bianca, she was 10 months old at the time. She had just learned to crawl and was extremely active the entire time except for this small moment where she seemed to take a break from it all.

The effect was just a combination of adjustment layers. Here is the original photo. There was a tiffen 812 filter on the lens to compensate for the overcast daylight.

6767028735_78d515896c.jpg

Original

Edited With Various Layers and Blends

Christina,

No question that the original has a lot of punch. The edited version is a totally new esthetic. I wonder if you have also considered other options or if you are satisfied with the edits as they are? To me, the really special components are the grace of the child, the swirling Goghian effects in the grass and then the solitary leaf in mid-field right side which balances the picture.

I'd have love to have seen a little more of that wonderful grass above her head.

Asher

Asher