• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Brief Moments Of Solitude

Sam Hames

I find these little moments where no one is around to be immensely satisfying - I like to take the time out every now and again for a little solitude, even for a few seconds while no one is in the frame.

flamingosbythepool.jpg

bicyclechainedtohandrail.jpg

These two just belong together to me - eventually they will be on the wall next to each other.

Any comments appreciated - thanks for looking!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I find these little moments where no one is around to be immensely satisfying - I like to take the time out every now and again for a little solitude, even for a few seconds while no one is in the frame.

These two just belong together to me - eventually they will be on the wall next to each other.

Any comments appreciated - thanks for looking!

Sam Hames: Solitude

Sam, This one works!

With one bike and no evidence of anyone else, there's a mood of solitude. The other picture is too busy for me. The ducks are dating and not alone!

Asher

Robert Watcher

Just curious how you tie these 2 images together? Would make it easier to provide an appropriate comment. I'm not really getting how they belong together.

Asher Kelman

Original

Edited ADK

Sam,

Perhaps the color really adds nothing to this scene. Here's an alternate approach using B&W for your consideration.

Asher

Sam Hames

Just curious how you tie these 2 images together? Would make it easier to provide an appropriate comment. I'm not really getting how they belong together.

It's hard to put into words - it's a sense that this is a stage without any actors, a kind of abandoned tableau where everyone has stepped out for a minute.

Sometimes I just look at a set of photos and certain groupings just jump out at me - sometimes there's no rhyme reason to it they're just "right" together.

Mark Hampton

It's hard to put into words - it's a sense that this is a stage without any actors, a kind of abandoned tableau where everyone has stepped out for a minute.

Sometimes I just look at a set of photos and certain groupings just jump out at me - sometimes there's no rhyme reason to it they're just "right" together.

i get that idea - they are still scenes - there is a quiet about them for me - in both works something has happened - but its before the image was made - and they will be filled again.

i can chill with this NP. keep them coming sam.

Robert Watcher

OK I see. After rereading your thread and seeing this statement "I like to take the time out every now and again for a little solitude, even for a few seconds while no one is in the frame." - - - I get the sense that it may be more how you were feling at the time, than what is in the images? You felt the same inner sensation while standing there alone in the dark, when taking both of them?

I was just curious what your thought process was in that regard as it wasn't obvious to me.

Rachel Foster

These show a unique vision, but perhaps one that could use a bit of tweaking. The first, as said by someone else, has too many elements juxtaposed in a way that jerks the eye back and forth across the image.

The second (to me) has promise but something is missing. I think I might work with the angle the shot was taken.

Still, both show a creativity that is encouraging and intriguing.

John Wolf

Sam, your post suggests a point I've often contemplated about photography: what content and compositonal elements contribute to a feeling of solitude and tranquility in a photograph?

Personally, I value that feeling and often pursue it in my photos. Among the many variables in that forumla, two for sure are space and simplicity. In general, I think this mood is best expressed with minimal picture elements in generous space.

In that sense, I have to agree with others about the first picture. There's just too much there. It feels cluttered to me. I'm sure you FELT it standing there, but representing it visually to others is something else. Of course, if the photo brings that sensation back for you personally, maybe that's what matters.

The second one works better for me. I made some quick edits with greater simplicity in mind:

- Opened an exit out the back (in the center) to let more night in
- Removed the clutter at the top left corner and suggested more sky space
- Cloned out some of the lights and hot spots (poorly, but you get the idea)
- Removed the big hot spot on the panel to upper left of the door
- Desaturated a little

John

opf_edits.jpg

Asher Kelman

So far, it seems that there's a love for this image as having most potential for the reading of the human value, "solitude".

Original

Sam, your post suggests a point I've often contemplated about photography: what content and compositonal elements contribute to a feeling of solitude and tranquility in a photograph?

Personally, I value that feeling and often pursue it in my photos. Among the many variables in that forumla, two for sure are space and simplicity. In general, I think this mood is best expressed with minimal picture elements in generous space.

opf_edits.jpg

Edits John Wolf

John's procedure:

- Opened an exit out the back (in the center) to let more night in
- Removed the clutter at the top left corner and suggested more sky space
- Cloned out some of the lights and hot spots (poorly, but you get the idea)
- Removed the big hot spot on the panel to upper left of the door
- Desaturated a little

Edits ADK

Here I've followed John's explanation of the build of my own B&W edits of Sam's picture in which I decreased the lit space:

- decreased the lit space to the entrance to the building
- sharpened and increased the contrast the that general entrance area
- blurred and darkened the rest
- diminished the importance of the bicycle but still a point of interest.

John,

I like your version better than mine. Such a different approach! Clever addition of the extra opening to the night.

@ Followers and lurkers,

What other approaches could there be with the Sam's two originals? He has opened this up to edits!

Asher

Hi Sam,
I did like the image, but I didn't really feel like the image conveyed solitude because of the amount of light and the color.

As you have opened up your image for editing, I thought I'd give it a try. I tried to lower the amount of color and turned it into a duotone and lowered the clarity and added heavy vignetting to make it a little more minimal as it felt busy to me and didn't scream solitude. I don't know if I achieved solitude, but it does gives a very different feel to the image.

solitudeforedit.jpg

Enjoyed playing with it, thanks :)
Maggie

Robert Watcher

I like playing from time to time - so this shot needs dark, blur, drama, and featured light with the bicycle featured - - - in my view. I kind of like the triad of square ceiling lights from a geometric standpoint. As well, perspective correction works with the cimematic feel I would be going for. A little tough to go to the extremes of processing that I like, when starting with a low resolution web image - so it starts falling apart. But here is a process I might use, which I think is stronger compositionally. It is still a color image, but with saturation, color and tonal adjustments:

13429030840357_opf.jpg

The basic process can be seen in the layers on the right side (Midnight and Tonal Contrast are Nic Color Efex Pro filters)
13429049374024_opfss.jpg

For the first image that you posted - - - when I opened up the shadows to see what there was to work with, I found some dirty little secrets. Content that was not too pleasing like the vacuum hose in the uninspiring pool of water and quite a bit of clutter along the building - all things that it feels to me like you have tried to hide in shadow to make use of the image. There really was nothing that I could be inspired to do to improve it. What is most important is that image does something for you. That is what photography is all about.

------

Tom dinning

Registrant*
There have been some interesting visual interpretations of Sam's original images here as well as different interpretations of what his intent was in the original statement.
Its funny how isolation can affect people in different ways.
I fully understand what Sam means about the quiet moments behind the camera. Using this means of escape is a great way of isolation oneself from the crowd, both the photographer and the subject. In Sam's cases the first tend not to demonstrate a feeling of isolation in the viewer; just a sense of isolation in the photographer when taking the shot. The interpretations of Sam's second shot have certainly induced a more visual impression of isolation, even if this wasn't Sam's intention.
I think Sam and OPF have come at this critique from different directions. That in itself makes for interesting observation and reading.
I can only add that this shot, which seems lees of an isolation shot is my way of escaping the crowd and isolating myself, ie; hide behind the camera and let the world pass me by.
A nice collection of photo interpretations all round here.

_DSC0820 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

fahim mohammed

Hi Sam.

Your second image is more like it. With John's work and combine it with B&W as suggested by Asher,
I would hang on my wall.

Maggie's excellent work reminds me of watching movie scene..if lights are dimmed!

Thanks for sharing.

p.s. now I need to find a quiet corner for myself!

Mark Hampton

Thanks everyone for responding - I need a bit of time to process everything! More sometime soon.

Sam,

I had a look at your blog - your comment about how you feel and see colours is particularly important in relation to the work - for me. I prefer the original versions you posted.

Really enjoyed looking and reading the work.

cheers

Sam Hames

First of all, thanks for everyone's thoughts and comments, I really appreciate it.

Couple of notes now that I've had to read and understand everything (sorry if I've missed anyone out).

1. I think I miscommunicated a little and we've come from different directions as Tom points out - the idea was to show some photos that come from a kind of restorative solitude, not to illustrate solitude itself. As an additional note into how I was thinking, these were both taken after long days/ periods of time where I was constantly surrounded by people/talking - it's really draining to me, and photography is a way of restoring balance.

2. Thanks everyone for the edits - each of them has helped me get a perspective on why I like this photo as a starting point. I've rethought and reedited and come up with something I like better thanks to everyone:

bicyclehandrail-e1343214146384.jpg

Main points I've taken:
I increased the contrast between light and dark - trying to take a bit of emphasis off the ceiling and more on the lighter parts of the scene. (Thanks Robert and Maggie!)
I softened the hotspot - I'm not comfortable with cloning it or the lights out, but I think this helps it not be as distracting (Thank you John).
Perspective correction - I think the vertical poles are important to how I want to fit it together - and as a bonus I remove some of the top left as John suggested.
Finally - thanks to Asher's b+w, and Mark's comment, it became obvious to me that, yes, the colour is actually important, so I've tried to emphasise the difference between the ambient and the artificial lighting.

It's still a work in progress and I'm going to be leaving it alone for a few days so I can come back with a fresh eye.

3. My poor flamingoes :)
Honestly, my brain reads them as similar images (as in, I feel an instinctive need to group them together). Everyone's points are noted though - I guess it's a case where it feels right to me because I was there, not because the image works as well as I'd hoped.

Thanks everyone for contributing, I've been having lots of fun!

Sam