• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Bringing home the shopping

Nigel Allan

This was taken in Bahrain in 1982 with a borrowed Nikon FM on HP5.

I have just scanned this and a couple of others with my new Nikon Coolscan5000 and noticed a fine line running through the centre of them as if something has scratched the neg. So until I can figure out what it is I will hold back on scanning further negs. Slides are ok since they are held in a different adaptor. I am gutted (for now) - any ideas on how to either rectify the image or solve the scanner mechanism issue?

Image1.jpg

Nigel Allan: Bringing home the shopping - Bahrain, 1982

This was taken in Bahrain in 1982 with a borrowed Nikon FM on HP5.

I have just scanned this and a couple of others with my new Nikon Coolscan5000 and noticed a fine line running through the centre of them as if something has scratched the neg.

Hi Nigel,

Is it really a scratch? You can verify by scanning the film in the opposite direction, if you dare. A scratch stays in the same position in the image, a sensor issue is in the same sensor position. Are you feeding by roll, or with a strip of 5 or 6 in a holder?

Cheers,
Bart

Nigel Allan

5-6 frames in strips through the automatic feeder that comes with the scanner. It appeared on more than one but it is hard to tell if it is a scratch or sensor issue but I will try some more.

Regardless of this, what method could I sue to clean it up in PP? You can see this fine line running through the centre of this image, left to right

Actually I just ahd a thought - it doesn't show on slides which are mounted so it might not be the sensor

5-6 frames in strips through the automatic feeder that comes with the scanner. It appeared on more than one but it is hard to tell if it is a scratch or sensor issue but I will try some more.

One of the reasons that I never used the automatic strip feeder had to do with the risk of scratching. I only used the film strip holder, but then I also spent a lot of time scanning each individual image (tweaking exposure time, and focus).

Regardless of this, what method could I sue to clean it up in PP? You can see this fine line running through the centre of this image, left to right

One method often mentioned is to use a bit of nose grease to fill the scratch, in case of silver based B&W film (digital ICE doesn't work with silver). Afterwards, clean the film before storing (and avoid introducing new scratches when cleaning). A Program like VueScan allows to scan and save as a master Raw file for later processing, a digital negative which cannot be physically damaged. Scanning at maximum resolution makes it easier to retouch later, and it also reduces the visibility by avoiding undersampling aliasing.

Actually I just had a thought - it doesn't show on slides which are mounted so it might not be the sensor

I'd suspect the Auto feeder, unless the film was already scratched e.g. in the camera or during processing.

Cheers,
Bart