• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

bud and sharpness

This is a bud that I picked out of a crowd of buds after a rain one afternoon. I took many shots of them, in groups, alone, with different lenses, but this particular one appealed to me more than the others. I see it as a sure sign of Spring here in Houston. It's not as sharp as I would like, and I have been working on that. I think maybe that's due to the lens and settings I used here. Nikon D40, 70-300mm AF-S VR, ISO 200, f/5.6 at 300mm. I used a tripod and wireless remote as well so either I just am not focusing correctly or the lens is my limiting factor. If this post would be better suited to the beginner section, please feel free.
James
bud.jpg

Aaron Strasburg

Hi James,

The softness seems to fit. I have an old Sigma 28-70/2.8 that does some odd things near the minimum focus distance with which I've taken a few flower photos that turned out surprisingly well considering their softness.

I'm not familiar with your Nikon lens (sorry, stuck in the Canon camp...), but I'm guessing that f/5.6 is wide open? If so you may find that a single stop smaller aperture helps, but of course you'll give up some smoothness in the background. No free lunch, again. Mirror lockup might be helpful as well.

I like the echoes of the shape of the bud in the background. A nice image of spring.

Aaron

It's not as sharp as I would like, and I have been working on that. I think maybe that's due to the lens and settings I used here. Nikon D40, 70-300mm AF-S VR, ISO 200, f/5.6 at 300mm. I used a tripod and wireless remote as well so either I just am not focusing correctly or the lens is my limiting factor.

The image at this size (was it downsized or is it a crop?) has hidden sharpness. It allows to be sharpened just fine, and then it looks ultra-realistic, almost popping out of the screen.

I don't know your postprocessing tools, but just ask if you need help with it (I'm a little low on webspace, otherwise I'd post the result based on the small JPEG). If you like I could PM the image to you so you can post it. Perhaps you'd prefer to have a larger version processed, just let me know.

Bart

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Here's my take, Bart is fully right! (once more ,-)
I ran my action, layer at 100% (the LAB one) + another tour with smart sharpen at 125/0,5/0

bud_sharp.jpg

Wow. What a difference you have made with this image. Yes my photo was a crop. There was another piece of a bud showing that I really did not like. I've been doing some experimenting with the unsharpen mask in CS2 but I have not had the results like these. I will need to keep trying. Thank you for at least letting me know that there is sometimes more to an image than first meets my eye.
James Newman