• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Buster

Jon Mark

Here's our English standard Lab (much stockier than the American standard). He's going on 3 and has the sweetest temperament!

Buster%20stand.jpg

Got really lucky and captured these two in almost identical poses

Best%20friends.jpg

Now that's a stick...

Busterstick.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Really handsome dog! Dogs! Wood Collector!

How old is the second dog? I like the fact that your pcitures have not to much jumble in them.

Some points"

1. The second picture does have something I really like: the dogs engage the viewer because their eyes look at the camera. This I believe is always important.

2. The other thing one might consider is to drop down to the level of the pet!

Then the dog looking at the camera will be even more impressive. As it is, these pictures show a happy set of dogs.

3. No mess! You did well here!

4. Clean fur! Again wonderful black fur coat!

Asher

Jon Mark

Hi Asher,

Thanks for those comments -- I'll keep in mind to get down to their level. One question for you and others: how does one expose for a black dog on white or very light background...? Either way exposure is never right. Over time, I've come to conclusion to expose for the light background and open up the dark shadows. Unfortunately, noise (esp in the shadows) seems to be exacerbated with this technique. What do you and others think?

Here's a sample:
HJ&B.jpg

Keep in mind it was one of those nice pose...wait don't move...fumble...fumble..fumble...snap. The green on the left should've been cropped out and the background should've been much better. Anyways composition aside, what comments/suggestions do you all have.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jon Mark said:
Hi Asher,

Thanks for those comments -- I'll keep in mind to get down to their level. One question for you and others: how does one expose for a black dog on white or very light background...? Either way exposure is never right. Over time, I've come to conclusion to expose for the light background and open up the dark shadows. Unfortunately, noise (esp in the shadows) seems to be exacerbated with this technique. What do you and others think?

Here's a sample:
HJ&B.jpg

At this stage in sensor development, either you have to get a more expensive camera with higher dynamic range, or else try to decrease the tonality extremes or both.

The reserve method is to bracket the shots and combine the foreground with the best b.g. and that is some work if there are a lot of images to do, although relatively painless for the occasional picture for your own pet or one that comes with a nice sitting payment.

So flash and reflectors illuminate the darker areas. The thing to do is not to overdo the light and use a diffuse source close to the subject. All one wants to do is gently fill in the shadows, not blow out all the white. Use of reflectors is helpful in this regard.

For the dog, just a small amount of fill flash can do wonders but make sure it is elevated so as not to get weird eyes.

This is essentially the wedding photographer's conundrum. Either a dark suit with no details or blown-out details on the bride's expensive gown that the parents scraped to pay for and the bride had to diet for months to fit into!

That's why a wedding photographer should always be a paid professional who can deliver this every time.

Now pet photographers also earn well when organized. It is obviously challenging. Getting the skills to decrease dynamic range of tones to be captured is always valuable.

Now, since you are doing this and realize it is a challenge, some pictures of the black dogs on a white brocade table cloth with a series of folds draped on a sofa, would be a great present for OPF RAW picture collection! Take a bunch is you want so we could have some RAW pictures that would be fun and a challenge to process. The young lady on your website in that picture would make it perfect.

If her hair was prepared for the shoot, then we would have a whole array of blacks, skin and white. a perfect test tool.

Asher