• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge for Pictures in a Series: Motif or Concept California Coast Birds

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I am attempting to get acquainted with California birds and am starting with coastal birds.

I start with gulls!

06446B71-DC31-48DB-9296-8E5DC86961BE.jpeg

035F2FA8-7871-48D7-A776-82C7F9847036.jpeg

Asher Kelman

I was expecting to be able to photograph thr cranes flying with bills sagging full of fishes as I was used to seeing in Florida. It here, they just were happy chilling out by the waters edge or occasionally fishing but swallowing!

I will attempt to photograph individual birds starting with that black-necked stilt wading in the water and it’s companion.

Asher

Tony Britton

Hi Asher!

A favorite collection of Central California coastal birds.

Snowy Egret
DSC01044-L.jpg

Great Egret
DSC03534-L.jpg

Osprey
DSC08025tb2002-L.jpg

Brown Pelican
IMG_5287-L.jpg

Great Blue Heron
DSC07378-L.jpg

Double-crested Cormorants
DSC07291-L.jpg

Asher Kelman

Tony,

I thought you were in the UK! How often are you here? These are splendid photographs and bring immediate joy and thrills. Are you using flash with some extender to get the black background?

Asher

Tony Britton

Tony,

I thought you were in the UK! How often are you here? These are splendid photographs and bring immediate joy and thrills. Are you using flash with some extender to get the black background?

Asher
Hi Asher,

I've never been to the UK but would love to visit someday. I'm originally from Arcadia, California and I've lived on the Central Coast of California since 1970. My black background photos require the background to be very dark to begin with. In post I "decrease levels" until the background goes completely black. I don't use flash. Glad you enjoyed them!

Tony

Tony Britton

Here's a few more coastal bird favorites.

Brandt's Cormorant
DSC07048-XL.jpg

Snowy Egret

DSC05288-XL.jpg

Pigeon Guillemot
DSC09629-XL.jpg

Double-crested Cormorant
DSC02229-XL.jpg

Black Oystercatcher
DSC04418-XL.jpg

Asher Kelman

Here's a few more coastal bird favorites.

Brandt's Cormorant
DSC07048-XL.jpg

Snowy Egret

DSC05288-XL.jpg

Pigeon Guillemot
DSC09629-XL.jpg

Double-crested Cormorant
DSC02229-XL.jpg

Black Oystercatcher
DSC04418-XL.jpg

All these are so enjoyable! You are generous!

The pigeon guillemot is new to me! The lighting reaching into it’s throat is extraordinary and gives the bird a sense of performing a song for us!

6AB820BD-FFDE-4FA4-8D88-38D6B0A431B9.jpeg