• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Calliope Hummingbird

Doug Herr

This Calliope Hummingbird has been a willing (usually) model for the last five years while I brought my equipment and technique up to the task of photographing him. It's been a bit challenging to make the picture I wanted because of the remote location in the Sierra Nevada, the limited time he can be reliably found, and the unpredictable weather of the mountains. This year I'm finally willing to say I've got the photos I wanted.

selcal20.jpg

selcal22.jpg

selcal23.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Yes, Doug, this is an achievement indeed. Can you relate the stages in your gradual approach to mastering this.

Can hummingbirds be induced to naturally nest in hummingbird areas in parks?

Is it even legal?

Asher

Asher Kelman

I see the shutter speed was 1/125 second but no flash! That’s to me amazing and a huge amount of patients to know it’s perch and simply wait for that fleeting opportunity.

Dragon flies have that behavior where they go on feeding patrol, tracking prey in flight, and then returning to their favorite plant!

Asher

Doug Herr

I see the shutter speed was 1/125 second but no flash! That’s to me amazing and a huge amount of patients to know it’s perch and simply wait for that fleeting opportunity.

Dragon flies have that behavior where they go on feeding patrol, tracking prey in flight, and then returning to their favorite plant!

Asher

Previously I had many photos where I had pushed the ISO higher to 'get the shot' and having gotten the shot I lowered the ISO (to reduce noise & improve DR) while stopping down for a modicum of DOF which meant slowing the shutter speed. I made a lot of exposures knowing that I'd delete many due to subject motion blur. I figured that sooner or later the bird would be still for the right slice of time.

I knew which perch he'd use because he's been using the same ones for the last five years; meanwhile he's gradually become accustomed to a big shiny eye at close range clicking at him.

Asher Kelman

Doug,

Thanks for sharing this amazing challenge you gave yourself. I don’t feel so bad now about my many failures to date!

How long to these birds live?

Do you ever use flash?

Asher

Doug Herr

Doug,

Thanks for sharing this amazing challenge you gave yourself. I don’t feel so bad now about my many failures to date!

How long to these birds live?

Do you ever use flash?

Asher

No idea how long they live, but I suspect this bird may be approaching the end of a normal lifespan. I haven't used flash in many years.