• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Camille

Hi this is my first print post .
The prints is a Ziatype on Somerset paper the neg is 5X7 from last spring
I made the Image at my house aka Studio
Comments or questions are welcome
522672570_ddd1cb7df0.jpg

Eric Hiss

I like it

Hi Gustavo,
I like your image. Can you tell us more about it? I mean was the face in shadow as you took the image or did you do that in the printing? The face in shadow changes the context of the image and adds mystery. I think its better for it.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Gustavo,

Eric got there first, so I can only repeat my liking your work. Could you tell us more about the image. Do you ever make a larger negative from your 4x5 so as to get a larger print? How does the process go?

In any case, I find the lighting and tonalities give her body a great softness and vulnerable, even modest femininity.

I find this work special and am delighted that you are posting here.

This work shows what can be achieved with film and supports my impression that people who use MF and LF film are likely to ber more concerned with the artistry than the documentation of the matter!

Asher

P.S. Remember we have a very available resource in low cost rehabilitrated LF cameras in Will Thompson. He's not a dealer per se but an avid rescuers of LF cameras (and Shitsu dogs!).

Todd harrison

it looks very grainy, and it's hard to see the picture. I can't see the face very well, but if you were trying to get the picture to look old then you succeeded.

Asher Kelman

Todd,

It's not trying to look grainy, it just is grainy? In that process the end result is usually like that. However, look at the picture, it has a rich spread of delicate midtones, There is very little highlight or black. however, that is not like the look! That is the genuine beast!

I like the softness imparted by a pictures with mostly the mid tones. BTW, you are not the only person in the world who does not like such pictures. However, I do like it. Not for sentimentality, but because the skin looks so soft that I feel that a delicate finger would make the skin indent softly.

So this is a matter of esthetics.

Today with photography we have a standardized set of rulers by which we meansure things. No grain, even lighting, no lens distortion, rule of i/3 and so forth.

There is also a lot f expression possible in photography outside htese linits with rulers calibrated deifferently.

I treasure this picture, even if I am the only other person on the planet besides the photographer who likes it!

Could the picture be improved? Could the lady be more interesting if the breasts were smaller or a different composition, maybe. Sure, I'd like the sheet not blown out and something of the face, but then the picture might not work for me either!!

I'm glad you are honest about your feelings! That makes things worthwhile.

Asher

info

The print is a chrysotype .
I wanted to hide the face as to me that was not important in this print the grain you see is do to the scan as it over enhances the paper texture the print is 5X7 on cot 320
I am not into the f64 mantra I prefer to create an emotional connection to the print then to show everything in sharp focus that is just me
thanks

Asher Kelman

Hi Gustavo,

I'd encourage you to post more! This is interesting and opens up a new kind of picture for discussion.

Asher